Rhyang

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Misha

by Misha » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:01 am

Those of you who have Flickr accounts, please check out Rob's profile there, enjoy his photos and leave lots of comments. I am sure that he will be thrilled to read them when he is able to!

b_betts

by b_betts » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:43 am

So sorry to hear about your accident Rob -- best of luck with recovery and I hope it's speedy. We still need to head out into the Sierras!

Greg Enright

by Greg Enright » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:49 am

Hey Rob,

I was cheering you on every step of the way as you recovered from your ankle injury, checking your profile pics to see how you were doing. It was cool to see you start climbing this summer, and with time, you will once again.

forjan

by forjan » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:58 am

Hey Rob,
Heal fast soon! We have ice to climb.....heh....heh....heh.... :D Anyway, man, wishing you a speedy recovery.

--Miguel

prusso

by prusso » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:12 pm

Rob, this really bums me out :(
Good luck with your recovery, and hope to see you back on your feet (and in the mountains) soon! We'll be thinking of you in TM this weekend...

jrbouldin

by jrbouldin » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:35 pm

The first sentence of the original news post was disconcerting, so I'm very glad you're alive, and wish you as quick and pain-free a recovery as is possible.

Captain Beefheart

by Captain Beefheart » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:35 pm

Ya. I'm glad to read you are still alive. My stomach sunk when I read this. Hope you heal up and don't have any permanant injuries. Everything in life will seem easy after this.

Stephen

skotty

by skotty » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:05 am

Though I don't know you in person, Rob, I've appreaciated your insight and commentary here on SP for quite some time. I hope you are recovering well and get back to the hills soon.

Scott P

eferesen

Speedy recovery

by eferesen » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:29 am

I felt extremely saddened to hear this. Speedy recovery

ScottyS

by ScottyS » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:02 am

Rob, man that sucks. Hope you set some records for those PT's and get back in the hills soon.

Scotty

Rice Climber

by Rice Climber » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:09 am

Yo, get back out there so you can catch another one of my whippers :P

Steve Larson

by Steve Larson » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:36 am

I visited Rob this morning. I'm happy to report that while efforts to reattach his head were unsuccessful, the prosthesis is working out nicely. Why he chose the Britney Spears model, though, is between him and his personal demons. :shock:

All kidding aside, and considering what he's been through, he's in pretty good spirits. He told me he was very happy that so many of his SP friends have come to visit him. He seemed amazed, and not a little pleased, that his thread here and the one on SuperTopo have grown so long. Apparently one of the hospital staff is a climber, and he told Rob about the SuperTopo thread.

Just knowing that people are aware and sending good vibes means a lot to him. Especially when the physical therapist shows up. He's recovering quite well I gather, but as many have noted, it will be a long road to full recovery.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:38 am

What are the extent of his injuries???????

Steve Larson

by Steve Larson » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:04 am

The Chief wrote:What are the extent of his injuries???????

I just called the hospital to ask Rob for permission to share a few of the details. He told the nurse he was sure I would use "good and wise judgement". Well, I hope this meets with his approval:

On the way to Yosemite last Thursday night Rob swerved to avoid a deer and lost control of his car. He told me that he broke three cervical vertebrae in the accident. A surgery to repair the damage last Friday seems to have been successful, though it will take some time to know for sure. Other than that (as if that wasn't enough!) he does not appear to have suffered any other serious injuries.

He was very fortunate in that the person driving behind him was an EMT, who rushed to his assistance. She stabilized his neck until emergency personnel were on the scene.

He is recovering quite well, and will likely be transferred to a rehabilitation facility in Santa Clara (near where he lives) in the next few days. How long he will be there before being allowed home is unknown, nor is it known how long or how complete his recovery will be.

As I said in my previous post, Rob really appreciates the good vibes people are sending him, so let's keep it up.

Felsberg

by Felsberg » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:08 am

++++++++ vibes ++++++++

hope you're feeling better and out there soon man.

PreviousNext

Return to California