Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Right to Risk?

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.

Postby Marmaduke » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:36 pm

MikeTX wrote:
Bob Sihler wrote:This thread was a lot more interesting when we were debating the questions of the OP instead of starting a second Everest thread.

it's actually the third one.
http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewto ... 52e289354a

somebody stole my thunder.

Don't they go hand and hand?
Marmaduke

Postby Lolli » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:44 pm

The fear of risk, is worse than the fear when at risk.
If one learns to handle risk, one has a better survival rate.
So, it's Darwin's award, to be risk avers into absurdum.
Lolli

Postby Bob Sihler » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:57 pm

MikeTX wrote:
Bob Sihler wrote:This thread was a lot more interesting when we were debating the questions of the OP instead of starting a second Everest thread.

it's actually the third one.

Yup, I remember that one. I even commented on it. But you didn't have as catchy a title, I guess...
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Postby Bill Kerr » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:10 pm

We all need to learn how to judge the degree and changes in risk levels in each situation and how to recognize the various levels of danger/consequences. Real world experience is the best way to seriously learn these lessons and as parents we need to let our children try things and sometimes fail in order to get the lessons through. Of course we hope we can do this in an environment that has minimal consequences.

In my view things crossover into child endangerment when you take your unprepared child into a situation where there is a very high risk that the consequences will be very serious or fatal. That was discussed in this previous thread where a snowmobiler took his 7 year old child out in high avalanche conditions and then parked in the runout zone while watching some idiots high marking!
http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52332
Bill Kerr

Postby isostatic » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:20 pm

MikeTX wrote:it's actually the third one.

Or the fourth!

http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewto ... ady#740643

This thread is still on SP, but in limboland, not showing up on GENERAL.
isostatic

Postby Augie Medina » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:34 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:
Yet we all mostly agree that eventually exposure to risk does grade into true abuse, or could anyway... and that's the line I am willing to draw in the sand. Anything more than that, imo, must be considered on a case by case basis.

I think that knowingly exposing a child to a situation where you know there is a probability (not just possibility) of great bodily harm or death crosses the line into abuse. Having said that, I also don't think you can automatically conclude this rule is being violated by the parents of this 13 year old. All circumstances have to be considered on a case by case basis. Leave for the summit in the face of a 1996 type storm? An adult can make a decision to go for it, but the rule above would be violated if a parent consented to let his minor child go.

I am definitely in the camp of exposing your children to risk as part of the growing up process. But crossing over into abuse is justifiably illegal in most jurisdictions in this country. To paraphrase Forest Gump and Bob Sihler, that's all I have to say about that.

Dingus Milktoast wrote:Am I under arrest yet?

You have the right to remain silent. Any thing you say can be used against you in... Do you waive extradition?
Augie Medina

Postby simonov » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:42 pm

Mountain Impulse wrote:Knowingly putting a child in a situation where great bodily harm is likely to result is a common standard for child endangerment laws. And it's not whether the person doing the endangering "knew" but rather would a "reasonable person" have known harm was likely to result.

If that's the legal definition, then case closed: given the percentages, great bodily harm is not likely to result during the kid's Everest attempt.

Neophiteat48 wrote:So regarding the 13 year old attempting Everest, couldn't that fall into that definition? I would think so,

That would be a reasonable assessment, I should think, if more Everest climbers experienced great bodily harm than didn't.

The operative word here is "likely."
simonov

Postby isostatic » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:08 am

BorutKantuser wrote:This Father & Son TR is a contribution to the topic.
Enjoy!

Welcome back, Borut!
isostatic

Previous

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander