Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Route page help

Get HTML help, style input, and feedback on your pages from other SP members.

Route page help

Postby ExcitableBoy » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:37 pm

I created a number of route pages, most of which are pretty bare bones. I have been making an effort to improve them. I have climbed all of the routes that I have created pages for. When I create route pages I write from memory. Some of these routes I climbed years ago and don't remember pitch by pitch beta. I could easily look up the beta in a guidebook, but I haven't because that feels like plagiarism. Some of the routes are otherwise undocumented so there is no other source of beta for the route.

So, my question. Is it acceptible to use the information in a guidebook to augment my memory? This would no doubt improve the route page, but doesn't sit right with me. Also, is it acceptible to use other member's photos in the route pages?

Thanks,

EB
ExcitableBoy

Re: Route page help

Postby Bob Sihler » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:05 pm

It's okay to use other people's photos. Sometimes it's good to ask first unless you know the person won't mind, and it's always a good idea to credit those people in captions on the page.

Regarding guidebook information, I have sometimes paraphrased or even quoted what the author wrote, always with attribution, and then followed that information with comments regarding my experiences with the route and the description. I've only done it a few times, but here are a couple of examples:

http://www.summitpost.org/south-ridge/276626
http://www.summitpost.org/ptarmigan-wall-goat-trail/543213
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Return to Page Help