rules are back in the Blanca

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
mikebowen

rules are back in the Blanca

by mikebowen » Fri May 23, 2008 11:55 pm

The new restrictions we all sweated last season are now here with little fanfare. This is from the parque office this morning and confirmed by Zarela- unguided climbers must show membership in an UIAA-affiliated alpine club. Not a deal-breaker, but a bit of a problem without advance knowledge. Also, the parque officials have been demanding to see the original membership card, rather than photocopies, faxes, etc.- a bit of a challenge if you are using an agency for logistics.
Of course, who knows if this will last all season- but you might want to do more research before you head down here. I´m going to Llanganuco directly to plead ignorance- I doubt they will turn down my soles at the guard station..... more information when I return.

emppeng27

by emppeng27 » Sat May 24, 2008 4:27 am

I take it the AAC falls into this category? Please do let us know how enforced this is. I'm headed down that way in a month and I'll purchase my AAC membership now if I'm going to need it to climb.

mikebowen

by mikebowen » Thu May 29, 2008 9:15 pm

In typical Peruvian fashion, there was no mention of this at the Llanganuco guard station- I told them I was climbing solo, and all they needed was the usual soles and name. My advice would be to contact Chris at Cafe Andino before your trip and ask him what the current situation is (the other entrances are not staffed right now, so maybe enforcement is awaiting the high season).
Tons of snow down here- Chopi´s glacier was ridiculously easy to navigate. Too bad that meant hours of postholing and no summit, but at least I got to ride down in powder.
Good luck to everyone Blanca bound!

TonyP

by TonyP » Fri May 30, 2008 1:28 pm

Good news all around...hope things don't change by the time i get there.

Cheo

Re: rules are back in the Blanca

by Cheo » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:06 am

How do You think ? Is DAV (Deutscher Alpenverein) sufficient ? There is no UIAA mentioned on the DAV ID card.

Regards.
Jakub
Last edited by Cheo on Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

fvinces

by fvinces » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:50 pm

I just returned from Peru and climbed in the Ishinca valley and seemed to me that there is some confusion about the regulations. For example, if you a re member of a club recognized by the UIAA you will not have any problems. Just show your ID. However, they were tough with a group of austrians without a guide and ID.

Return to South America