Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

running barefoot

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.

Postby Ze » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:51 pm

That paper by Lieberman is 'interesting'....I read it and definitely better than the paper this thread originated from, however his claims are a little questionable as the results aren't necessarily that significant. Luckily I actually know one of the authors and am going to enter a little 'discussion' with him about it.

Last few weeks I've been running barefoot a few times (~ 2 miles). It really works the calves!
Ze

Postby catullus » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:10 pm

FYI the KSO treks are actually pretty warm. Went running in them this morning at 24 degrees, and my feet were actually toasty. I think they could go down to much lower, especially with toe socks. Haven't tried them on packed snow yet, but will soon.

As Lieberman points out in his article, while it may make sense for a number of reasons (evolution, unimodal force peak) to run barefoot, there still haven't been any controlled studies to determine if running barefoot actually decreases injuries. Until there are, it's all pretty much speculation.
catullus

Postby catullus » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:05 am

gbeane wrote:
catullus wrote:FYI the KSO treks are actually pretty warm. Went running in them this morning at 24 degrees, and my feet were actually toasty. I think they could go down to much lower, especially with toe socks.

my coworker could not get his KSOs on with toe socks.

I don't think this is a common problem. Are the KSOs too tight? Maybe he should try this sock:

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/produc ... _socks.cfm
catullus

Previous

Return to Technique and Training