Russian Alexey Bolotov dies on Everest

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
Cy Kaicener

Russian Alexey Bolotov dies on Everest

by Cy Kaicener » Wed May 15, 2013 6:15 pm

Tonka

Re: Russian Alexey Bolotov dies on Everest

by Tonka » Wed May 15, 2013 7:08 pm

RIP, and holy crap, look at that route.

The following user would like to thank Tonka for this post
Cy Kaicener

Cy Kaicener

by Cy Kaicener » Wed May 15, 2013 10:48 pm

The following user would like to thank Cy Kaicener for this post
Fletch

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Wed May 15, 2013 11:58 pm

The following user would like to thank Diego Sahagún for this post
Cy Kaicener

no avatar
nickua

by nickua » Wed May 29, 2013 8:09 pm

One of the best if not the best Russian Climber.
His accomplishments as his latest project on Everest with D. Urubko are very very impressive!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=k265QMM_ibk
Here is last updates from Denis Urubko http://urubko.blogspot.com/2013/05/15-of-may-2013-15-2013.html

There was a desire to pass a new route on the Southwest wall of the Everest, having begun from Base Camp.
To the middle of May the command has saved up sufficient acclimatisation. We had been ill on two times. But had a rest after high-altitude spending the night in a wood zone, having completely restored. The state of health was magnificent. The route condition, by our estimations, was very good, above an average.
At 02.00 o'clock in the morning on May, 15th, 2013 Alexey Bolotov and me left Base Camp. By 04.00 the two has risen to one of Nuptse’s crests by easy couloir around ice-fall system. Was coming the first sun light. The way passed on rocks a steepness about 45 degrees, and then easy slopes. On this shelf we recognized one rope - twisted «korean» which we took with ourselves laid. At the terrace end at 05.00 we have stopped for descent on abrupt 20-mt rocky wall.
Here have fixed the «korean» rope, that we have took from the traverse. Alexey Bolotov has begun movement by the first, using knot (UIAA). The cord strongly turned, thus, that its upper part was on three meters above a plate. This torsion has led to that on an excess the cord strongly rubbed about a rock. And after Bolotov has gone down ten metres, it has burst.
I have been occupied by that put on "harness". Has heard Alexey's shout, has seen a falling body - on depth about 30 meters it has disappeared behind turn rocky couloir. Then I have fixed other rope, have gone down with a drugstore in the bosom for all length of 45 meters. Bolotov has not found.
Having returned to the upper plate, I have begun descent to the basis of rocks where at 6.30 has found out Alexey's body. He was dead. The death has come instantly as a result of traumas after falling on distance about three hundred meters. I have continued descent in Base Camp where has arrived by 7.30 where has reported about happened on a firm management «Cho-Oyu trekking» and to the laysen-officer.
Bright memory to our friend and one of the strongest climbers. God bless your soul, Leshka

Return to News