San Gorgonio Conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Blair

by Blair » Mon May 10, 2010 4:44 am

Eman, winter man be over, but the second season is in full swing 8)

Will prob be back next weekend, trying to get as much in as possible before its gone

Steve Larson

by Steve Larson » Mon May 10, 2010 1:34 pm

I don't have a clue about feature names up there, other than the big draw. The line I skied was lookers left of the big draw (really, only visible from Dry Lake). There's a broad couloir that's kind of two broad gullies at the top coming right off the summit plateau. Awesome run. That gully on Charlton looked good, too.

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Mon May 10, 2010 2:30 pm

Some interesting information on the history of Skiing in So Cal in this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Skiing-Southern-California-Images-America/dp/0738555681#reader_0738555681

They had two huts on San Gorgonio at one time.

Blair

by Blair » Mon May 17, 2010 6:54 pm

Well, here it is again.

Went up to ski the San G backcountry once again this last fri-sun

My partner and I finally hit the North face on San G. We skiied the westernly bowl on the North face down all the way to the bottom of Christmas Tree Hill. From 11,250ft to 8,840
8) Conditions were good spring snow above 10K with suncuping starting there and getting progressively worse as you go lower to the 8800ft level, the end of skiable terrain.

Christmas Tree Hill is moderatley cupped out. Best to ski after 2pm when its soft.

We also skiied a N-NE Face aspect on Charlton Peak.

There was a helicopter rescue in South Fork Meadows on Sunday. That pilot landed in a very gnarly spot, I was shocked that he got it down amongst all that avy debris.

Blair

by Blair » Mon May 17, 2010 6:57 pm

Sam Page

by Sam Page » Mon May 17, 2010 11:32 pm

Blair wrote:There was a helicopter rescue in South Fork Meadows on Sunday. That pilot landed in a very gnarly spot, I was shocked that he got it down amongst all that avy debris.

Does anyone know any details about this?

Blair

by Blair » Tue May 18, 2010 2:18 am

Heres what I found out today after talking to a ranger at Mill Creek

A church group of 14 people were hiking thru South Fork Meadows. Conditions are not good thru there, as theres a bunch of avy debris and snowbridges everywhere if youre not paying attention. One guy went through a snowbridge and went under, dislocating something in his leg.

A rescue was called, and a sheriff helicopter came in, flying all over the drainage looking for the injured party until they were found in SF Meadow. We were hiking out when we saw the chopper hovering around looking for a place to land. We didnt think he could, but he did, and man what a tight sketchy landing. Good job on that guy!

So they land, and the guy that needed rescue says no thanks, due to the cost. The chopper flys away.

I hear that the 13 other people and 2 forest rangers made a makeshift litter and got the injured guy out.

The End

no avatar
sdtrackrunner

by sdtrackrunner » Tue May 18, 2010 4:55 am

Blair, that must have been you I talked to on my way out on Friday afternoon... not sure which of the two you are though. Glad you guys had fun. I was just out for the day on Friday. I was able to skin all the way up the north face, over to the summit and then back to ski the western most gully on the north face. When I got down to near dry lake, I did a big left turn and skinned back up to the top of big draw (decided to boot the last 100 yards or so, its still got a minor lip at the top that was fun to jump off on the way down). Skied from there down to the bottom of x-mas tree hill, than ran into you guys shortly after leaving south fork meadows. That inch or so of new stuff was super sticky below 10k or so, probably better on saturday. Very nice conditions on the north face though, better than big draw, and it looks like it will stick around for a while. Btw, how do you connect the north face to x-mas tree hill without going uphill?

-Brent

http://brentcoe.smugmug.com/Skiing-Alpi ... 2-5142010/

Sam Page

by Sam Page » Tue May 18, 2010 7:34 am

I climbed a couloir in Jepson Bowl on Sunday (specifically, North Couloir #1). The snow conditions were perfect all morning. Here is my trip report.

This is what Jepson Bowl looked like on Sunday:
Not bad for mid-May in southern California.

EManBevHills

by EManBevHills » Tue May 18, 2010 6:02 pm

What Taco said!

Blair

by Blair » Tue May 18, 2010 7:18 pm

Brent- Yep, we ran into eachother on the trail, you had the boots on the skis hiking out and your boots have red/white/blk? I remember you from maybe 3 weeks prior too then. You were with a snowboarder and a guy sledding his board? Anyways, we skiied the same line as you on San G, we saw your turns. We then skiied out a small gully to get into the drainage that the big draw runs out into, traverses across that and followed a gully system that spit us out near the East facing couli on Charlton. We then skiied the natural halfpipe down and up into the highest reaches of Christmas Tree Hill.

Sam- Man, we missed you. Nice pics and climb of Jepson. Your pic is enticing...maybe a descent for this weekend. Havent skiied Jepson yet.

Eman and Taco- Hey guys, its right there. :wink:

The little bit of weather that came thru in the last 24 hours may have helped out a bit. Trying to get in touch with those who know.

Deb

by Deb » Mon May 24, 2010 6:41 am

How many inches of fresh snow today?!?! HOLY CRAP!!! :shock:

Blair

by Blair » Sun May 30, 2010 6:33 pm

Ok, missed posting last week, and what a difference in a week!

last sunday we were snowed on and cold, yesterday the sun was out and it was a great day to be back there.

we skiied The Big Draw. 1st 50' was icy and rimmed, but then it softened up and was butter spring snow as we went down.

some friends went down the N Coul of Jepson, conditions in there going up was soft enough around noon to toe kick in steps all the way up, over the crux final headwall thats kinda steep. Skiing conditions down is very difficult in the top section w icy wind blown suncups and boney terrain one must watch out for.

All and all, a great trip with some awesome turns to reward ourselves for the climb up

EManBevHills

by EManBevHills » Mon May 31, 2010 2:00 am

Good on you, Gorgo Recidivist!
Its's a bit sureal that you got in some more turns this W/E.

Deb

by Deb » Mon May 31, 2010 4:00 am

Blair wrote:Ok, missed posting last week, and what a difference in a week!

last sunday we were snowed on and cold, yesterday the sun was out and it was a great day to be back there.

we skiied The Big Draw. 1st 50' was icy and rimmed, but then it softened up and was butter spring snow as we went down.

some friends went down the N Coul of Jepson, conditions in there going up was soft enough around noon to toe kick in steps all the way up, over the crux final headwall thats kinda steep. Skiing conditions down is very difficult in the top section w icy wind blown suncups and boney terrain one must watch out for.

All and all, a great trip with some awesome turns to reward ourselves for the climb up

Most AWESOME last weekend and this weekend, I must say! So damn jazzed about the snow play this month! Good time with da Sno Bro. :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to California