Santa Cruz trek - questions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Boleslav

Santa Cruz trek - questions

by Boleslav » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:13 pm

Hello- we plan to trek Santa Cruz in Mid May. After reading some trip reports I would like to check where is it preferable to start, is any direction better over the other. Some people suggest to start from Cashapampa, others from Vaqueria. What's your recommendation?

I can not find much information about the transportation to the trail head, it seems there are colectivos running, but how long does the ride take?

Is the insect going to be a problem in May?

How cold does it get at night during the trek?

When is Semana Andisima this year and what does it mean as far as independent travel is concerned?

thank you very much for any info.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:59 pm

Boleslav wrote:

Hello- we plan to trek Santa Cruz in Mid May. After reading some trip reports I would like to check where is it preferable to start, is any direction better over the other. Some people suggest to start from Cashapampa, others from Vaqueria. What's your recommendation?

I can not find much information about the transportation to the trail head, it seems there are colectivos running, but how long does the ride take?

Is the insect going to be a problem in May?

How cold does it get at night during the trek?

When is Semana Andisima this year and what does it mean as far as independent travel is concerned?

I started from Cashapampa and think that direction is somewhat prefereable.

I went with a local (Huaraz) tour operator, so they arranged for private transportation. It took half a day to get down to Cashapampa; collectivos could take longer because you might have to change in Yungay.

Insects weren't a problem, but they could be on the first day out of Cashapampa.

A tee-shirt is enough on many days, but expect frost on the tents every night. When the sun began to set I woud dive into the tent and put on the long johns. You really want a down (or synthetic) jacket for the evenings and mornings.

Don't know anything about Semana Andisima. July 28 is the national holiday and there will be lots of tourists from Lima in Huaraz that week.

no avatar
Boleslav

by Boleslav » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:06 pm

Buz - thank you
How busy was the trail, did you carry your things yourself or did you hire porter. Where did you stay in Huaraz, would you recommend them?
Did you do any acclimatisation hikes around, any other trips/hikes you would recommend?

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:34 pm

Boleslav wrote:

How busy was the trail, did you carry your things yourself or did you hire porter. Where did you stay in Huaraz, would you recommend them?
Did you do any acclimatisation hikes around, any other trips/hikes you would recommend?

The trail is fairly busy; it's a popular trek. Porters aren't used; burros are. I stayed at Olaza's and recommend them highly. Acclimatizations hikes are a very good idea: Laguna Churup is a popular one. For more info, go to my profile and check out my trip reports and web site.

Return to South America