Schwaub Peak Info?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Sean Kenney

Schwaub Peak Info?

by Sean Kenney » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:21 pm

Trying to line up some desert peaks for the winter. Anyone here hike it? Not finding a lot of info through Google and it doesn't have a page here.

Was wondering if there might be a use trail. Otherwise info on the best route would be nice. Looks like starting from Echo Canyon is the only reasonable option. Would it be better to head all the way back to the Inyo Mine area or leave the road before then?

Thanks ,
Sean.

Edit:Found an image that claims to be a trailhead....

http://sierragator.smugmug.com/Desert-P ... BmaF-O.jpg

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:58 pm

It's in Zdon's book, even though it isn't in the index. Latest edition, it's on p191.

Zdon says to approach via Echo Canyon Rd, about 9 miles to Inyo mine, then hike up the old RR grade to the ridge; the peak is visible 2 miles to SE. It looks like you really need 4wd. Don't know if there is a use trail, but that desert looks pretty open, much like the country around Pyramid Peak.

Check this page:
http://snownymph.smugmug.com/Desert-Pea ... 3285_rdpoh

Sean Kenney

by Sean Kenney » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:17 pm

Thanks.

I was planning on taking a one wheel drive vehicle. :wink: My first attempt at bike camping was up Echo Canyon to the Inyo Mine. I made it all the way into the mine site but didn't sleep there. It was creepy being there alone. :shock: So I turned back and retreated to a warmer elevation. Met a 4x4 club on the way down and they forced Jack'n Cokes on me. :D They drove me back to my car after it got dark. I had lights and was prepared to ride but they'd have nothing of it.

"Eye of the Needle", Echo Canyon, DVNP. 01/06.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:20 pm

Good on ya! From the looks of the topo, you have to be careful about mounting a the ridge too early, as many ridges before and after Inyo mine don't connect to Schwaub.

Return to California