Scots Team

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Nanuls

by Nanuls » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:01 pm

Hi Stephen,

Hope you had a relaxing easter, and that the weather held out for you.

I've finished proof reading the page (I think I've got everything), so all that remains now is to upload it. Do you want to do this or shall I? If your going to, let me know when so that I can make the links live on the area/range image map (this need to be done after uploading.

Cheers
Dan

Boydie

by Boydie » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:15 pm

Nanuls wrote:Hi Stephen,

Hope you had a relaxing easter, and that the weather held out for you. :)

I've finished proof reading the page (I think I've got everything), so all that remains now is to upload it. Do you want to do this or shall I? If your going to, let me know when so that I can make the links live on the area/range image map (this need to be done after uploading.

Cheers
Dan

Dan,

Had a good easter, thanks. Was up at Loch Rannoch on Sunday for the day. Good weather thankfully.

I'm on a 12 hour shift today & tomorrow, so my time is a bit limited. Might be better for you to upload then, plus you need to sort the maps. I'll probably have time to do the attachments tomorrow if you have uploaded by then. Anything else give me a shout.

Anyway, time to go home. Thank God, hate these long days.

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:19 pm

12 hour days! I don't envy you a bit.

Anyway, I've posted the page and made the mods, good job everybody!

Boydie

by Boydie » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:44 am

Nanuls wrote:12 hour days! I don't envy you a bit.

Anyway, I've posted the page and made the mods, good job everybody!

Don't normally do 12 hourers, but somebody left. Need to find a replacement. Quick!!!

Just seen the page Dan. Finished product looks good. Will hopefully add all the pics on today at some point.

Time for a well earned rest. :lol: :lol:

visentin

by visentin » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:14 am

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:04 pm

Much better Eric, I shall try to read it properly over the next week or so

One initial comment: I think you should reduce its width so that it fits on screens with a resolution of 1024x768. It's still a common resolution, and at the moment your page requiers a lot of scrolling.

Cheers
Dan

Boydie

by Boydie » Mon May 04, 2009 8:28 pm

Hey all,

So, back from Torridon and it was a partial washout. Friday was filled with heavy rain and sickness for one of my mates, so we just ventured round to Applecross for a bit in the late afternoon. Saturday we took advantage of a window of good weather to do Beinn Alligin (5 minutes of horizontal hailstones though..?). Unfortunately the rain started hammering down again five minutes from the car and continued for the rest of the evening. Sunday was heavy rain again, with the forecast snow above 800m being surprisingly accurate, so decided to head down the road early. Ach well, still well worth it and had a great time in a really beautiful part of the country.

Eric, will also have a look through your page when I get a chance to do so properly. Seems it's been drawing a lot of attention in the comments field recently. :wink:

Dan, I take it you have read the comments left by Dan Bailey on the Grampians page. I understand what he is saying about the naming as I stated in my initial reply. What's your thoughts about it?

visentin

by visentin » Mon May 04, 2009 8:37 pm

Boydie wrote:Hey all,
Eric, will also have a look through your page when I get a chance to do so properly. Seems it's been drawing a lot of attention in the comments field recently. :wink:

Thanks to one same guy ;)

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Thu May 07, 2009 11:18 am

So, back from Torridon and it was a partial washout. Friday was filled with heavy rain and sickness for one of my mates, so we just ventured round to Applecross for a bit in the late afternoon. Saturday we took advantage of a window of good weather to do Beinn Alligin (5 minutes of horizontal hailstones though..?). Unfortunately the rain started hammering down again five minutes from the car and continued for the rest of the evening. Sunday was heavy rain again, with the forecast snow above 800m being surprisingly accurate, so decided to head down the road early. Ach well, still well worth it and had a great time in a really beautiful part of the country.

Dan, I take it you have read the comments left by Dan Bailey on the Grampians page. I understand what he is saying about the naming as I stated in my initial reply. What's your thoughts about it?

Shame to hear about your trip to Torridon; still the Highlands wouldn’t be the Highlands without the odd deluge. Did you manage to summit Beinn Alligin?

The weather wasn’t too bad down here, although on Monday I was forced to climb in my waterproofs for the first time this year. All in all though, it was a pretty good bank holiday.

I had a read through Dan’s stuff, and what he says is quite correct, but then again, so are we. It’s just a different way of doing it. I think it would to much work to change the structure of the thing now. By the by, to a certain extent we already have a similar structure to the one he suggests; as a general page we now have Eric’s Scotland A&R, which more or less functions as an umbrella page.

I think what we need now is a page for either the North West Highlands, Southern Uplands, or the Western Isles, which would help clarify the structure set out for Scotland. Same structure as the GM page, although I imagine they would be smaller. Might wait a bit before starting a new project like that though…

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Thu May 07, 2009 11:22 am

visentin wrote:

Thanks to one same guy ;)

Well… two guys ;)

If your still looking for photo’s of ice climbing, why not try these two:

http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.p ... t_id=76326
http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.p ... _id=133381

Also you still need to reduce the width of the page.

Oh and nice squirrel btw!

Boydie

by Boydie » Mon May 11, 2009 1:36 pm

Nanuls wrote:

Shame to hear about your trip to Torridon; still the Highlands wouldn’t be the Highlands without the odd deluge. Did you manage to summit Beinn Alligin?

The weather wasn’t too bad down here, although on Monday I was forced to climb in my waterproofs for the first time this year. All in all though, it was a pretty good bank holiday.

I had a read through Dan’s stuff, and what he says is quite correct, but then again, so are we. It’s just a different way of doing it. I think it would to much work to change the structure of the thing now. By the by, to a certain extent we already have a similar structure to the one he suggests; as a general page we now have Eric’s Scotland A&R, which more or less functions as an umbrella page.

I think what we need now is a page for either the North West Highlands, Southern Uplands, or the Western Isles, which would help clarify the structure set out for Scotland. Same structure as the GM page, although I imagine they would be smaller. Might wait a bit before starting a new project like that though…

Sorry Dan, hadn't noticed your reply.

Changing the name of the Grampians page would be a bit of an undertaking and as you say probably not worth it. I understand the points Dan is making, but if it had been an issue, one of us would have brought it up earlier.

I did summit Beinn Alligin :D . We done a traverse from the horns and right round. The wind was gusting about 70mph and knocking us off our feet so we only done the first horn, then skirted along the path underneath the other two as it was getting a bit dodgy. The wind was a bit odd, as there was no sort of warning prior to each gust. You know that whistling noise you usually hear before it hits you, well it was lacking. Must have been cause we were so close to the Atlantic. All in all though, I have to say that it is an absolutely smashing peak.

The other peaks there look really good to, although Liathach is one big scary looking fucker.

I've done an album with some pics of Torridon and Applecross http://www.summitpost.org/album/512455/Torridon-May-09.html and have just finished a mountain page for Beinn Alligin http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/512937/Beinn-Alligin.html, so that should hopefully increase the exposure of the NW Highlands a wee bit.

Stephen

Boydie

by Boydie » Tue May 12, 2009 12:47 pm

Eric,

I've finally :roll: re-read over the whole of your Scotland page. It's really coming together now.

I've made a few adjustments to the page; added some more pubs, added a link for further books, separated the two maps so that the page fits the screen better and put a couple of extra pics in the sections I've altered to try and keep your format for each section the same.

In the orientation section it might be worth while you adding a short sentenance stating that compasses are sometimes liable not to work correctly in certain parts of the country. I think this is the case at some points on the Cuillin ridge due to local magnetic anomolies.

Anyway, hope these changes are all okay with you :?:

Stephen

Oh! Forgot to mention that I've deleted my original comments also.

Boydie

by Boydie » Thu May 14, 2009 8:42 pm

Hey all,

I've put some suggestions onto the Scots team sandbox page for the proposed Northwest Highlands. I think this time we would be best splitting it into southern, central and northern sections. South being from Morvern up until the A87 road through Glenshiel. Central from the latter until the A832/5 road that joins Inverness and Ullapool, with everything above being norh. :roll: Didn't really need to say that, did i?

I've slotted in provisional names for each A&R within and also a rough idea of their boundaries. http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.p ... #chapter_5

Any thoughts???

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Sun May 17, 2009 9:32 am

I've put some suggestions onto the Scots team sandbox page for the proposed Northwest Highlands. I think this time we would be best splitting it into southern, central and northern sections. South being from Morvern up until the A87 road through Glenshiel. Central from the latter until the A832/5 road that joins Inverness and Ullapool, with everything above being norh. :roll: Didn't really need to say that, did i?

I've slotted in provisional names for each A&R within and also a rough idea of their boundaries. http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.p ... #chapter_5

Any thoughts???

Hi there, that looks good. I'm on holiday next week though, so I'll have a proper think about it after that.

Cheers
Dan

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Wed May 27, 2009 3:54 pm

I'm back!

Had a look over the page's suggested sub-ranges and have to say I really don't know enough to comment properly, and won't be able to contribute to them in any meaningful sense. So if you're happy with them then so am I.

I think we have to be sure of a few things before starting this page though:

1: Do we have the knowledge to write a page on the area? For the record I'm not going to be much help in this respect.
2: Are there enough photos to adequately illustrate the area, and do they cover a sufficient proportion of that area?

If the answer to either of these questions is no, then I think we should hold off writing anything until we have the proper experience, info and material to make the page properly.

Thoughts?

PreviousNext

Return to Europe