Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Sequoia & Yosemite Park

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Postby butitsadryheat » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:52 am

Six of one; half dozen of the other. Save a flight and drive up from the south and see it all. You DO have three days :wink:
butitsadryheat

Postby butitsadryheat » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:45 am

joachim0ds wrote:ok, just got back.

This is what i did.

I left friday evening for a quickie to LA via the highway. I had already driven LA-San Diego via the coastal route last year, so that was nothing new for me. Stop @ Camarillo.

Saturday, From Camarillo i took the highway1 to Morro Bay, which was very nice, thx for the suggestion. Then i drove towards Cambria and took highway 46, which was very pretty, towards paso robles and then continue via 46/41 to Frenso and Medura. Nice views here, no wine tasting though as i was on my own. Stop was @ Medura. With 2, some tastings would have been nice. Looooads of people visiting the wine tastings (of course, weekend and good weather). The central valley is not that special, but the huge open space was nice to see. We dont have that @ belgium...

Sunday, From Medura to Merced and Mariposa. Then hwy 140 to Yosemite. Spend the rest of the day visiting everything there was in Yosemite, do some hiking. I was surprised to have 26 degrees C in the valley and see the skilift working @ Badger pass... :shock: From yosemite i took highway 120 and continue west to pleasanton. Nice views i had, some nice green valley + lake shots. Stop @ Pleasanton. If i had more time, i would have stayed a bit longer @ Yosemite, but time was limited...

Monday, horrible traffic towards silicon valley... But, as i am in the Bio informatics field, i had to get there... through the traffic i managed to visit silicon valley. Visited Stanford Uni, Google HQ, then continued N, cross the san mateo bridge, follow the east side of the bay, and then cross back to downtown SF via bay bridge. Visited Pier 39 and fisherman's warf. Made a hike along the bay to Golden Gate, rush back to the car, drive to the airport and fly back.

Result: 1000 miles in 72h. :lol: But the fun of my life.

Suggestions for other people. a) take a second driver with you, b) dont forget to take pictures... (but that is kinda hard when you do the driving and the planning and everything on your own) You cannot stop every 10 minutes to take a picture... I tried to take pictures while driving, but i almost crashed :? c) take a week or so, there is so much to see around and d) Motel 6 is the best cheap solution there is :D

thx for the suggestions dudes, maybe i have another sequel conference next year in San Diego... But what to visit then? I already did the east of SD last year and the north of SD this year... I'll have to go swimming or get killed in Mexico...

Try a trip in the summer and make a nice long drive up the east side of the Sierra from LA and finish in Tahoe/Reno and fly back from there. You'll not be sorry.
butitsadryheat

Previous

Return to California