Servants?

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
OJ Loenneker

by OJ Loenneker » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:21 pm

1000Pks wrote:
I really was considering First Amendment rights enforcement if that was an issue, here. Or is there something that I don't know?

The First Amendment of the US Constitution does not apply to outside contributions to privately owned web forums. So, your posts actually do not count as "First Amendment Rights" because the Federal Government is not removing your "voice" but rather a private entity is. You are still allowed to voice your self, it's just that if a private web site decides not to host your voice, it is not that you have lost your voice, just the venue. You have no First Amendment right to a Venue.

You are still allowed to set up a soap box in your front yard and bitch all you want about the Sierra Club.

Your neighbors might call the cops because you are a nuisance, but they cannot make you change your "content" of your speech. That is because your First Amendment rights cannot trump someone's other right, like the Fourth Amendment.

And like others have said, get over your obsession. It's old.

ridgeline

by ridgeline » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:50 pm

Does this topic have something to do with Area 52 ?

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:23 pm

1000Pks wrote:Sounds like laws being made. So, I can't speak my mind at SP?

And that'd be Area 51 (?). Nothing to do with that.

btw, "obsession" seems to be more ridicule. How that got around, how many doctors in the house?

Hey Pete, you can speak your mind all you want but people don't want to hear it. They think you have a couple of screws loose.

I'm still trying to figure what exactly is your agenda for posting this thread. Are you trying to bring awareness to the fact that the MLC SC did some nasty things to you 30 years ago that you can't get over? Are you trying to get the Elves to take down some content on SP that belongs to you and have been used without your permission? Are you just bitching because the forecast for the next week is looking dismal? Are you trying to recruit members for the MLC SC?

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:11 pm

Wow. I'm completely lost on this one. :?

JasonH

by JasonH » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:39 pm

Aaron Johnson wrote:Wow. I'm completely lost on this one. :?

Don't worry, so is everyone else.

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:48 am

I think it's a Zen koan.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:25 am

Pete, I thought this thread was ultimate sublime tongue-in-cheek. Is it real? What did the MLC SC do to you to make you so bitter? They seem to be in a backwater today. Isn't the best revenge in "Living well'?

no avatar
Dave K
Forum Moderator

by Dave K » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:39 am

Pete I deleted one of the threads several days ago because it was some vague rant about the MLC posted in Site Feedback. I already told you that.

If you have a SPECIFIC problem with someone posting your materials without permission let us know. Otherwise, as I posted earlier, vague ramblings about the MLC are not constructive.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:12 pm

Then I was forced into SP, by the necessitated protection of my Peaks Guide.

I remember that book -- occasionally I see it on amazon used books. Was there some issue there, with the MLC SC?

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:56 pm

Hey Pete,

I'm sorry to hear about some of the things that happened to you 20+ years ago. I guess it was so bad that you are still suffering from it. The members and ways of the MLC SC from 20+ years ago are surely gone. I went to the MLC SC website and it looks alive and well. Why not try to join and reconcile? Would they accept you now?

http://motherlode.sierraclub.org/

Kevin

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:59 pm

I remember Pete as the photographer on at least 2 of Wynne Benti's books. But I guess that's right -- amazon is just a pointer to Pete's web site. It's "not in print", so it looks like an old book.

Intentional or unintentional plagiarism is rampant in guide books, especially now with the internet. One thing the internet has definitely done: left people with the expectation that stuff should be free. Unless they sell it.

EDIT: I know a certain SC chapter -- I hope it remains sotto voce -- where people do stuff like this

There is unofficial screening with lots of personal interaction, lots of emphasis on safety without nuttiness, and the political infighting doesn't spill over into the hikes. In short, the SC doesn't have to be a pain in the a$$.
Last edited by MoapaPk on Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rhyang

by rhyang » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:28 pm

Nobody here hates you -- it's more like pity. Sorry, but that's the truth.

You know, my dad had Alzheimer's .. I watched his mind slowly slip away over the years. Towards the end he could not remember who he was. He would react strangely, sometimes with paranoia. Terrible things happen to some of us in old age. It's sad. What can you do though.

If you show up with Craig & Carolyn and climb Round Top with the rest of us, then I'm sure we'll all have a good time. Nobody is going to care about MLC SC or whatever. Cheers :)

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:34 pm

1000Pks wrote:There are no other free public ops than PTP where you are not required to sign anything to help out and hike, climb, and ski. The disclaimers are standard in the industry--only fools expose themselves to liability....

...As MLC SC claimed when I tagged along, I forced my way onto somebody's trip, and then their usual hate and hostility. I do this for fun, not masochism. There's the world to explore with me, and I would never wish to do anything with people that clearly already hate me!

Hey it sounds like you already understand why the Sierra Club doesn't offer trips that are difficult/technical. It is the liability. People that have the skill and fitness level to go out on difficult/technical trips already have a set of friends which they go out with so there's not a big incentive to advertise the trip.

I think sometimes people outgrow an club/organization and its usefulness. I think that might be the case for you. This is the case for me. I was once a member of an outdoors club. I'm not now because I've met a lot of friends there and I just email them directly instead of replying on the club to find partners.

You have been out there enjoying the mountains for a long time, long before I was born. I think you might have a few ideas/trips that I might be interested in. I'm at the end of my dirtbagging tour but would like to get in a few more trips before I start to update my resume. Care to entertain some ideas? I'm especially interested in desert peaks.

I've done White Mountain via the West Ridge (north and south spur) twice, Boundary, Montgomery in the winter and have some beta. I have been looking for partner(s) for a winter traverse of the White Mountains. It'll be a mini expedition. Up for that?

Kevin

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:55 pm

Pete, I've seen nice people get very paranoid and angry when those same people give up on human interaction. I'd suggest joining a local meetup.com hiking group. You can just sign on for hikes and be as anonymous as you like. Typically there are all levels of trips, and if you relax your mind so you don't care about the goal, you may enjoy yourself.

If you want some atonement, then just remember: the best revenge is in living well.

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander