Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Server speed

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.

Re: Server speed

Postby Montana Matt » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:48 am

Buz Groshong wrote:Login is still incredibly slow.

I haven't tried logging in recently as I always check the option to stay logged in all the time. But I just logged out and logged back in and it did take perhaps 3 to 4 seconds while the rest of the pages seem to load in 1 to 2 seconds. Not sure what the cause is for the slowness logging in, but given the fact that people log in (at most) once per visit, I'm not sure that it's worth the effort to track down what the long pole might be at this point, but I'll keep it in mind.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby lcarreau » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:03 am

Buz Groshong wrote:Login is still incredibly slow ...

Actually, LOGGIN' is much faster than it used to be ..

lcarreau

Postby Buz Groshong » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:38 pm

Montana Matt wrote:
Buz Groshong wrote:Login is still incredibly slow.

I haven't tried logging in recently as I always check the option to stay logged in all the time. But I just logged out and logged back in and it did take perhaps 3 to 4 seconds while the rest of the pages seem to load in 1 to 2 seconds. Not sure what the cause is for the slowness logging in, but given the fact that people log in (at most) once per visit, I'm not sure that it's worth the effort to track down what the long pole might be at this point, but I'll keep it in mind.

Agree.
Buz Groshong

Postby Buz Groshong » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:39 pm

lcarreau wrote:
Buz Groshong wrote:Login is still incredibly slow ...

Actually, LOGGIN' is much faster than it used to be ..

It is faster, but it's still only half-fast.
Buz Groshong

Postby Josh Lewis » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:22 pm

Montana Matt wrote:I also wrote a script to delete users that registered, never did anything on the site (no pages, no forum posts, etc.) and have been inactive for over a year.

It didn't seem to work here:
http://www.summitpost.org/users/joshuaklewis/41118

Nothing was contributed either, so makes me wonder if the script missed quite a few unused users including banned accounts. :?
My Websites: Alpine Josh · Alpine Ascent · AceMaps
Josh Lewis

Location: Lynnwood, Washington, The Cloudiest Place on Earth, United States

Postby phlipdascrip » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:53 am

lcarreau wrote:Image

All your logs are belong to Google.
phlipdascrip

Postby lcarreau » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:04 am

lcarreau

Postby kamil » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:44 am

I've got an impression that those scheissbook and twatter features slow it down even more.
Here is a thread about those things but it somehow doesn't appear on the front page.
kamil

Postby Diego Sahagún » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:11 pm

It isn't running well...
Diego Sahagún

Postby Montana Matt » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:43 pm

kamil wrote:I've got an impression that those scheissbook and twatter features slow it down even more.

The social networking features add no load at all to the server. They are all completely hosted by their independent sites (Google, facebook and twitter) and require no resources from the SP server.
Diego Sahagún wrote:It isn't running well...

In what way? I've not experienced any periods of slowness since the recent changes two weeks ago and I've been on the site quite a lot since then.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby mrchad9 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:20 pm

Montana Matt wrote:
kamil wrote:I've got an impression that those scheissbook and twatter features slow it down even more.

The social networking features add no load at all to the server. They are all completely hosted by their independent sites (Google, facebook and twitter) and require no resources from the SP server.

In what way? I've not experienced any periods of slowness since the recent changes two weeks ago and I've been on the site quite a lot since then.

Matt why doesn't the thread in Site Feedback on your twitter additions that kamil linked to show up on the front page?
mrchad9

Postby Diego Sahagún » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:36 pm

Montana Matt wrote:

In the way of adding pics, I had some issues this morning but could fix them.

Gracias Montana
Diego Sahagún

Postby reboyles » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:56 pm

Sorry guys but everyone I know is still complaining about the server speed. I've been dumped so many times during photo uploads I just expect it now. Some of my by buds have given up and are considering other options like moving their content elsewhere. I would can your current ISP and move the service if this were my site. The site performance has been getting worse all year on our end and it has become almost impossible to get anything done. I am a retired IT professional but I won't go off on this board because I like SP too much. I was on the receiving end of messages like this for almost 20 years so I know what it's like to get complaints. Please look into this because some people will just go away and never return when their frustration level reaches a certain point. The preview of this message just took 4 minutes to ccomplete...

Thanks,

Bob (reboyles) (retired) Senior Technical Analyst, co-founder and architect, Hewlett-Packard Worldwide Customer Support on the web
reboyles

The following user would like to thank reboyles for this post
Diego Sahagún, yatsek

Postby Montana Matt » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:25 pm

mrchad9 wrote:Matt why doesn't the thread in Site Feedback on your twitter additions that kamil linked to show up on the front page?

No idea. I haven't looked into it.
reboyles wrote:Sorry guys but everyone I know is still complaining about the server speed. I've been dumped so many times during photo uploads I just expect it now. Some of my by buds have given up and are considering other options like moving their content elsewhere. I would can your current ISP and move the service if this were my site. The site performance has been getting worse all year on our end and it has become almost impossible to get anything done. I am a retired IT professional but I won't go off on this board because I like SP too much. I was on the receiving end of messages like this for almost 20 years so I know what it's like to get complaints. Please look into this because some people will just go away and never return when their frustration level reaches a certain point. The preview of this message just took 4 minutes to ccomplete...

Interesting. I've experienced no slowness with regards to navigating pages, posting to the forums, etc., since before the changes nearly two weeks ago. I have read one other post (not sure if it was also from you) about slowness during photo uploads, but that isn't necessarily indicative of any problem with the site because there are many reasons for photo uploads to take a long time.

It would help immensely with speed of upload if photos were resized before uploading them. Uploading a photo right off the camera is waste of disk space and time. Most photos off of even a middle range camera are 3-4mb. Even on a high speed internet connection, that's going to take some time to upload.

With regards to it taking 4 minutes to preview your post, as mentioned before, I haven't experienced anything like that since before the changes a couple weeks ago. And there haven't been many people posting that they're still experiencing slowness either (I only remember one person mentioning it when uploading photos and another when logging in), while a few are saying that they've noticed a significant improvement. Perhaps your 4 minute wait to preview had something to do with your connection and not the server. Not all delays on the internet are caused by the destination server.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby kamil » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:16 pm

You're right about the photo resizing, Matt. I resize all my pics for SP except those few with route details where higher res is important.
With the social networking stuff it's perhaps the slow old computer at my work which can't cope with connecting with SP, FB, T and G at the same time, cos at home it doesn't slow me down. I still hate those features though and if they are here to stay, I would vote at least for making them less in your face, placed more discreetly instead of on top of every page. It's not only my opinion AFAIK.
But anyway thanks for your great work for SP as usual, Matt :)
Cheers,
Kamil
kamil

The following user would like to thank kamil for this post
Montana Matt, mrchad9

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback