Share your Photography Tips

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Mountain Bandit

Re: Share your Photography Tips

by Mountain Bandit » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:48 am

rgg wrote:I'm about to buy another one, my fourth.

4th? I’m easily in double figures!! Starting from my awesome film point-and-shoot as a kid, to my upgrade to a digital THREE MEGA PIXEL CAMERA as a teenager, followed by my numerous digital camera upgrades.

Before I leave the house I choose a camera depending on the nature of my trip. If it is a technical climb with either limited photo opportunities or I’m trying to severely cut weight I will only use my compact. But if it is a more lax occasion or I'm in a particularly spectacular part of the world I'll make an effort to haul up my DSLR.

Funny (and yet sometimes annoying) thing is that some of my older cameras take better photos depending on the situation. For instance an old Lumix compact that I bought 5 or 6 years ago still takes my best sunset/sunrise photos..............

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:27 pm

Mountain Bandit wrote:
rgg wrote:I'm about to buy another one, my fourth.

4th? I’m easily in double figures!! Starting from my awesome film point-and-shoot as a kid, to my upgrade to a digital THREE MEGA PIXEL CAMERA as a teenager, followed by my numerous digital camera upgrades.

The fourth small digital one. Before that, I had a bunch of analog cameras. One of my first cameras, a second hand Praktika SLR, is over 40 years old by now. Just about everything was operated manually, making it a great camera to learn the ropes. Later, when I bought a better one, I kept it as back up. I still own it, but it's only gathering dust now.

youngclimer123

by youngclimer123 » Wed May 01, 2013 12:54 am

i think ground level shots give a cool perspective.

David Senesac

by David Senesac » Wed May 01, 2013 3:52 am

Learn to see the world through the way limited camera sensors or film capture light and not simply what one's eyes see.

Human eyes see a much greater range of luminance brightness levels. In contrasty scenes, highlights human eyes easily see with fine detail capture weakly while shadows with considerable features often render vague dim useless shadows. Human eyes see fine color hues and shades that never capture as dynamically, and much much less when later displayed on photographic paper. Human eyes see in 3 dimensions while one must be content to display what we capture on 2. Much more, read Galen Rowell's chapter 3 in Mountain Light. Over years one will learn to filter out landscapes and subjects that look superb to the eyes yet won't work through a camera lens while tuning into those subjects that can.

David
http://www.davidsenesac.com

Previous

Return to General