Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Short excursions from Auckland in April/May

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Oceania and the Pacific Islands. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Oceania Climbing Partners section.

Short excursions from Auckland in April/May

Postby atavist » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:41 am

What trip would you recommend in New Zealand for late April/early May? Are any mountains still in condition or is it strictly trekking season? I'm looking for 2 short excursions starting from Auckland. First trip 3 days. Second trip is 4-5 days. It's a first visit to NZ.

I'm thinking about Ruapehu for the first 3 days. Then catching a flight to South Island for a 50 mile trek. Any other suggestions?
atavist

Re: Short excursions from Auckland in April/May

Postby pyerger » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:41 pm

Not sure if it's in right now, but Taranaki/Egmont, is a fantastic climb! You can see the ocean on three sides, from the summit. About a half days drive from Auckland,and an hour or so from New plymouth. There is a mountain shop in new Plymouth, if you need to rent gear,( ice ax, crampons,)
pyerger

Re: Short excursions from Auckland in April/May

Postby atavist » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:27 pm

Saturday was the Tongariro Crossing w/ side trips to Mt Tongariro and Mt Doom. Sunday made the summit of Ruapehu. It's a very accessible and well conserved national park. I'll look into Egmont for the next visit in May. I could go for something a bit more technical on that one. I could use some ideas for flatland as well.
atavist

Return to Oceania and Pacific Islands