Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Skeeters in the Sierra 2009*

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Skeeters in the Sierra 2009*

Postby butitsadryheat » Thu May 22, 2008 2:54 am

It's about that time. With the recent heat, and possible cold coming through, how are the skeeter populations shaping up around the Eastern side so far this season?

Any horrible areas yet? I was thinking of taking the kids up to the Stone House in the Tuttle drainage for a day hike/picnic next weekend, but don't want to be slathered in DEET (kinda ruins the taste of food)
Last edited by butitsadryheat on Tue May 26, 2009 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
butitsadryheat

Postby Bob Burd » Thu May 22, 2008 3:13 am

They were coming out in force in George Creek a week ago, but forecasted lows for the High Country is around 20F in many places. That ought to help wipe out much of the early crop of the buggers.
Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

Postby The Chief » Thu May 22, 2008 3:44 am

We have had a couple "Skeeters" here and there so far in the past week or so.

Biggest pests I have had in the past three weeks at 9k are the biting tiny Black Flies. Got ate up several times...fkr's.

As BBurd posted, freezing temps over night for the next couple of eves will definitely terminate many of the young larvae. Spoke to local Skeeter Control dude today, so far he has minimal catches in his many traps.
The Chief

Postby pjames » Thu May 22, 2008 5:46 pm

1000Pks wrote:I'm that age where I'm statistically vulnerable, and was even thinking to give up the outdoors forever. Aside from winter or late fall, say.

That's really awful! Isn't there any kind of bug spray, or something, that can save your hide from the darn things?
pjames

Postby rhyang » Thu May 22, 2008 7:42 pm

With any luck there will be a West Nile vaccine at some point, though it could be years ..

In the meantime, headnet and Deet for me :) Usually in the Sierra they are gone in most places by August.
rhyang

Postby Greg Enright » Fri May 23, 2008 7:29 am

I've been feeding the noseeums quite a bit this year. They are active in the sagebrush community of the Eastern Sierra right now. The numerous bites will itch like crazy until your skin gets tough and you don't notice anymore, unless you have a bad reaction with nausea. Use DEET to kill 'em or an oily concoction called Skin So Soft that seems to drown them.

The Mono Lake area is known for having the biggest noseeums around -- they're huge!

Greg Enright

Postby butitsadryheat » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:04 am

bump

It's been relatively warm since this thread was started...any new activity? Are they coming out in force yet? I was near the portal week and a half ago, and didn't see a single one.
butitsadryheat

Postby edevart » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:11 pm

None in the Sonora Pass area last weekend (june 7). Water everywhere and warm temps, yet not a skeeter around. Pleasant surprise for sure.
edevart

Postby 96avs01 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:10 pm

squishy wrote:I spent the weekend in the big ditch and there were plenty

same experience on my end too
96avs01

Postby The Chief » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:54 pm

Just got back from a quick 12 mile round trip hike up to Hilton Lakes (7200-10k).... NOTHING! I have had some very rare sightings in the past week and my local Skeeter Guru is not catching all that many in his traps.
The Chief

Postby fossana » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:08 pm

None at S Lake or Rock Ck in the past few weeks. Only insect bites that I've been getting are at the Tablelands and the Gorge, but I think they're midges and not mosquitoes.
fossana

Postby The Chief » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:11 pm

I am off early in the morning to solo the Petit Griffon... will post a SKEETER report tomorrow eve upon my return. :wink:
The Chief

Next

Return to California