Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

skeeters

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

skeeters

Postby inconsolable » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:25 am

Headed to Rock Creek drainage 9-11; wondering whether skeeters are still in evidence, say, around Morgan Pass? (also, on behalf of a pal, how about Lyell Canyon?)
inconsolable

Re: skeeters

Postby mrchad9 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:52 am

Really?
mrchad9

Postby butitsadryheat » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:44 am

I imagine right now is probably the best time to be (almost) mosquito free in the high sierra, even at the Mosquito Flat trailhead.
“Hitler did not have to destroy democracy; he merely took advantage of the decay of democracy and at the critical moment obtained the support of many to whom, though they detested Hitler, he yet seemed the only man strong enough to get things done.”
butitsadryheat

Postby inconsolable » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:17 am

I wasn't joking about Mosquito Flat or 9-11. What I'm looking for is actual reports; I know the odds (I'm usually in the Eastern Sierra around this time). I'm hypersensitive to bites & the wee buggers know it & adore me. The friend who wants to traverse Lyell is similarly bug-ridden & wants beta. Really.
inconsolable

Postby Alpinist » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:56 pm

I'm a mosquite magnet myself. In a group of 10 people, every mosquito for 1 mile will be on me and none on my friends. Why is that? I've experimented with Vitamin B to no avail, which is supposed to help repel them. I use repellent whe necessary and that of course helps but the little vampires surely get on my nerves.

If I had 1 wish, it would be to get rid of every mosquito in the world (but only if there was a way to do it without detroying the eco system).
Alpinist

The following user would like to thank Alpinist for this post
inconsolable

Postby colinr » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:15 pm

http://www.m.webmd.com/allergies/features/are-you-mosquito-magnet

Well, from what I have observed and read, it has been a mild season. Hopefully it will be comfortable weather for staying covered up just in case. Being up there will beat sitting around in Texas with a tube of this:

colinr

The following user would like to thank colinr for this post
inconsolable

Return to California