Ski Descents near the Tenmile Range in Mid March

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
LaneOK

Ski Descents near the Tenmile Range in Mid March

by LaneOK » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:04 am

I want to hike a mountain and descent via skis. Most of my hiking has been in the August-October time of the year in the Sangre de Cristo mt. range, usually 4-5 day trips (I have had to turn back before). I've had quite a bit of skiing experience all of wich has been done on a resort, I've done a little bit of hiking at Breckenridge. I've taken survival classes, I know how dangerous these sort of things can become. If it sounds like I'm in over my head please let me know.

My family will be staying in Frisco and I would like to get in at least 1 maybe 2 hikes with a ski descent. I was looking at Quandary and Peak 10 in the tenmile range. I am open to any suggestions or advice, I would like to know what gear would be necessary or if I should just call the whole thing off.

I am very concerned about avalanche danger, I've been trying to do some research and have not found anything that says do not go. I am still very leary of this, is March a bad time to attempt something like this?

no avatar
mconnell

Re: Ski Descents near the Tenmile Range in Mid March

by mconnell » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:07 am

Check the CAIC website for up to date avy conditions. Christo Couloir on Quandry is a nice ski if conditions are safe. I have also seen some really nice lines skied on Peak 6 although I have never been up there.

Dropmo40

Re: Ski Descents near the Tenmile Range in Mid March

by Dropmo40 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:39 pm

this reply is late but did you make it up anything during your trip? I have toured extensively in the northern Ten mile and consider Mt Royal and Victoria good places to start learning about backcountry skiing. Make sure you take an Avalanche Safety Course.

Return to Colorado