Sleeping Pad

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Bootboy

by Bootboy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:59 am

All I know is that my new Mammut Ajungilak soft skin 3.8cm is the most comfortable thing I have ever slept on outdoors. I'll carry the extra weight, A good nights rest is well worth it to me.

Alpinisto

by Alpinisto » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:45 pm

mconnell wrote:
brandon wrote:
jvarholak wrote:Amen... a T-Rest Pro-lite 4 (3/4 length) on top of a Ridgerest.... light and comfortable for snow

Listen to this man!

I will third that. I've been using that approach for years with good results. I always felt better having the RR as back up if my T-rest got a hole (even though I've never had a hole in a T-rest.)

Fourth...

Hotoven

Re: Pads, "what are they good for?"

by Hotoven » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:39 pm

cutty wrote:Dear Absent 52,
Your name is fitting as it seems you were absent when manhood arrived. I can dispell your sleeping pad problems right now.....don't use one. They are for pussy's who can't rough the outdoors. Need a sleeping pad? Get a Winnebego and a jar of granola and leave us real outdoorsman to do the climbing.

NEEDLESS ANTAGONIZING.

dskoon

by dskoon » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:51 pm

Hotoven wrote:
Your name is fitting as it seems you were absent when manhood arrived. I can dispell your sleeping pad problems right now.....don't use one. They are for pussy's who can't rough the outdoors. Need a sleeping pad? Get a Winnebego and a jar of granola and leave us real outdoorsman to do the climbing.

NEEDLESS ANTAGONIZING.

Agreed. Not sure where that one came from. . .

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:55 pm

dskoon wrote:
Hotoven wrote:

NEEDLESS ANTAGONIZING.

How much you want to bet its truchas new name?

JHH60

by JHH60 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:02 pm

Clearly spoken by someone who has never slept on snow.

I've used a Ridgerest for years and it's been idiot proof and warm enough for use on snow (barely), but when REI recently had the Prolite on sale I decided to buy one, mostly because it packs down a lot smaller than my Ridgerest. I figure I can use both on snow when it's really cold and stay more comfortable than with the Ridgerest alone.

absinthe52

by absinthe52 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:10 pm

Oh, no worries, I can take a little ribbing here and there, and its actually absINTHE, learn how to read:

"In the morning, at lunchtime, the habitués invaded the bistrot. The professors of absinthe were already at their station, yes, the teachers of absinthe, for it is a science, or rather an art to drink absinthe properly, and certainly to drink it in quantity. They put themselves on the trail of the novice drinkers, teaching them to raise their elbow high and frequently, to water their absinthe artistically, and when, after the tenth little glass, the pupil rolled under the table, the master went on to another, always drinking, always holding forth, always steady and unshakeable at his post."

Byt seriously, thanks for everyone's input

RickF

by RickF » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:45 am

Hotoven wrote:
dskoon wrote:
Hotoven wrote:

NEEDLESS ANTAGONIZING.

How much you want to bet its truchas new name?

Pay no attention to the troll behind the empty profile!

Smoove910

Re: Sleeping Pad

by Smoove910 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:14 pm

cutty wrote:Troll? How about a troll that has summitted more mountains than any pussies on this forum? How about K2 biatches? Hey, here is a suggestion, instead of using a sleeping pad...just take all of your fucking tampons out and sleep on that!?!?!?!?

Cheers, Mountaineering troll extrodinaire

I highly doubt any K2's were climbed by this fool. Besides the fact that he talks like a little wannabe gangbanger (biatches), it is also highly unlikely he would be able to fund a trip to K2 much less dinner at the local McDonalds (even with his employee discount). Unfortunately he would probably also resort to using someone else's pictures for proof, so that is out of the question.

It's sad people like this frequent SP and waste our time.

As for the original question... I like my Big Agnes insulated core pad... however I wouldn't take it on a trip where snow is a factor because if you get a leak, you're hosed.

Good luck!
Regards,
Kris

JHH60

by JHH60 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:27 pm

Smoove910 wrote:
cutty wrote:Troll? How about a troll that has summitted more mountains than any pussies on this forum? How about K2 biatches? Hey, here is a suggestion, instead of using a sleeping pad...just take all of your fucking tampons out and sleep on that!?!?!?!?

I highly doubt any K2's were climbed by this fool. Besides the fact that he talks like a little wannabe gangbanger (biatches), it is also highly unlikely he would be able to fund a trip to K2 much less dinner at the local McDonalds (even with his employee discount). Unfortunately he would probably also resort to using someone else's pictures for proof, so that is out of the question.

It's sad people like this frequent SP and waste our time.

As for the original question... I like my Big Agnes insulated core pad... however I wouldn't take it on a trip where snow is a factor because if you get a leak, you're hosed.

Good luck!
Regards,
Kris

Gangsta gangsta:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMlPVpXtkJY
Last edited by JHH60 on Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Snowy

Pad options

by Snowy » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:34 pm

I also like the idea of a closed cell pad paired with an inflatable. The way I understand it you get better thermal efficiency if you put the closed cell pad on top of the inflatable (less thermal conduction), but correct me if I'm wrong. The Gossamer Gear Thinlite is a great lightweight foam option; paired with an insulated air core, I'd take it or a ridgerest anywhere I care to go.

Captain Beefheart

by Captain Beefheart » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:43 pm

Your a douche-bag... at best! Go back to lurking on SuperTopo. Show your face in the mountains and it will be pounded upon.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:14 pm

Haha, if you have to brag about Mountains you climbed, thats a sure sign of a weak sauce climber.

dskoon

by dskoon » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:56 pm

Hotoven wrote:

Haha, if you have to brag about Mountains you climbed, thats a sure sign of a weak sauce climber.

Agreed. This guy, or girl, needs to get out and take a walk, read a book, do anything besides troll, which only shows how much of a poser he/she is.

talusfinder

Re: Pad options

by talusfinder » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:00 pm

Snowy wrote:I also like the idea of a closed cell pad paired with an inflatable.

Ditto that. I think a good night sleep is easily worth the extra 2 pounds. I'll just spend an extra 5 minutes running or at the gym to make up for the extra weight! Then again, I haven't pretended to climb K2, so maybe you shouldn't listen to me... :roll:

PreviousNext

Return to Gear