smoking ad?!

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
tigerlilly

smoking ad?!

by tigerlilly » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:29 am

agh - is it me?! At the bottom of the page, when I scroll down is a smoking ad. Or should I say a no-smoke, smoking ad.

I watched my dad die a horrible long painful death that I wish on no one. It was directly caused by tobacco use.

In his memory, I'll stand up and say, this is nuts. I do not expect to see this type of advertisement on summitpost.
(smoke or no smoke)
:?

no avatar
Dave K
Forum Moderator

by Dave K » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:48 am

I hear ya, but Google picks the ads, not SP.

no avatar
MarkDurford

Re: smoking ad?!

by MarkDurford » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:32 am

tigerlilly wrote:agh - is it me?! At the bottom of the page, when I scroll down is a smoking ad. Or should I say a no-smoke, smoking ad.

I watched my dad die a horrible long painful death that I wish on no one. It was directly caused by tobacco use.

In his memory, I'll stand up and say, this is nuts. I do not expect to see this type of advertisement on summitpost.
(smoke or no smoke)
I dont know what your talking about, I smoke the competition all the time and my health is perfect.

Ejnar Fjerdingstad

Re: smoking ad?!

by Ejnar Fjerdingstad » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:40 am

tigerlilly wrote:agh - is it me?! At the bottom of the page, when I scroll down is a smoking ad. Or should I say a no-smoke, smoking ad.

(smoke or no smoke)

Use a browser with Adblock Plus or similar, and you'll never see one ad! It is available for Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera, Sea Monkey, Orca Browser, Pale Moon, and no doubt many others. With a little ingenuity you can even make it work with the discontinued Netscape 9 (my personal favourite)! All of these are free, of course.

grabbs146

by grabbs146 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:14 pm

What's wrong with a stop smoking ad??? I quit smoking with the help of one of those ads. Not the one at the bottom of any pages here on sp but, one just like it.

Adayak

by Adayak » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:24 pm

A lot of times ads you see on SP and other websites are targeted to the content you're viewing on the page or content you've viewed on other pages (and you've been cookied).

So if you go to like P90X.com to checkout the workout videos, you will start seeing P90X ads all over the internet.

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Fri May 07, 2010 9:58 am

Funny you mention P90X.com ~ !!!

Since you wrote that, I HAVE seen their ads all over the place....and I started paying attention to the blasted things.

Anyone tried this? $100 seems like a lot for an excercise CD. But people seem to think that it works.

Thoughts?

Alpinisto

by Alpinisto » Fri May 07, 2010 11:33 am

tigerlilly wrote:$100 seems like a lot for an excercise CD. But people seem to think that it works.

Thoughts?

CrossFit.

(At least, that's what a little birdy told me...) :D

Ed F

by Ed F » Fri May 07, 2010 12:35 pm

I think someone mentioned it above, but install Firefox with the Adblocker Plus. You'll never see an ad again.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri May 07, 2010 2:28 pm

Remember, you do not have to look at any of the ads if you chose not to!

Tigerlily, sorry to hear about your Pop. But everyone needs to reminded that no one held a gun to his head nor anyone's head, each and every time they stick one of those cigs in their mouth, lit it and then inhaled the contents, no one. They choose/chose to so.

As for P90X, my Wife got it, has been doing it and she in fact has become stronger and fitter. All this while in the comforts of our home. She can not stand gyms or social workouts. She dedicated herself to the program and it has worked for her.

Like any PT Program, if you commit yourself to it and it works, that is all that matters. Not one is better than the other.... not one.

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Fri May 07, 2010 3:18 pm

Ok, I dropped the $100....oy.... my husband is gonna kill me!

The work out guy seems pretty amusing - which is half the battle I guess. If someone can laugh me into doing a pushup, God bless 'em.

Next thing you know I'll be buying $300 Medifast start up program.

re: my dad.....no worries. He loved to smoke. He wouldn't have stopped smoking if you paid him a million dollars. still.....I'm not a fan of nicotine delivery products (period).

Frankly, I'm surprised this is legal - I mean, we are not allowed to advertise on billboards near schools. So, what if a 16 year old logs into Summitpost and sees the ad?! doh!

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Fri May 07, 2010 4:55 pm

tigerlilly wrote:Anyone tried this? $100 seems like a lot for an excercise CD. But people seem to think that it works.
Thoughts?

My girlfriend does a work out every day and loves it. Sometimes she does two, I could never bring myself to something like that, but everyone's different, shes strangely addicted to it, but I'm not complaining... :wink:

Return to General