Some Climbers still...

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
Alpinist

by Alpinist » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:22 pm

drjohnso1182 wrote:
SpiderSavage wrote:I have noticed that many climbers are social. They are not interested in climbing unless someone is watching.

That's not true; I can always spray about it online later. Believe it or not, there are actually social networking sites specifically for climbers.

Yeah but "real" climbers never use those websites... :roll:

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:27 pm

Alpinist wrote:Yeah but "real" climbers never use those websites... :roll:

I guess none of us are "real" climbers then...including yourself!

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:10 pm

I hate to go solo...... you stat talking to yourself, arguing with yourself, then I loose the argument with myself. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Rick..... you know the deal, you have been doing this for as long as anybody, if you wish to get away from others just go walk uphill for 5 miles, +2,000 feet gain, on no trail..... you be alone. :wink:

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:16 pm

Guyzo wrote:Rick..... you know the deal, you have been doing this for as long as anybody, if you wish to get away from others just go walk uphill for 5 miles, +2,000 feet gain, on no trail..... you be alone. :wink:

That is why I live up here Guy... you know that.

You need to get yur skinny ass up here, spend a week with me this summer and let me show the treats that not too many know about that take at least a half day of humping up 3-5K el gain and 7-12 miles or so to get to.

FortMental wrote:As the Caucasian brain gets old, its ability to deal with complex social interactions becomes severely limited. This is why secluded areas (Alaska, Idaho, mental wards) become disproportionately populated with old, cranky white guys with guns and their dogs.

Hate to tell you this amigo, but those cranky old men were up in them hills long before anyone even thought of climbing em.

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:53 pm

I'm creeping into this thread as one of those "silly Europe hill walkers". :( Please chuck me out if I don't belong here.

I don't climb and never will. But I still love being in what count as mountains in the UK, (Snowdonia, Wales to be more precise), and on my own.

Just day hikes, and in all weathers. Especially winter. People look at me and raise their eyebrows when I say I go alone. But I guess they've never done that.

It means there is a need to plan carefully to make sure I stay within my limited capabilities. The need to know when to turn back without anyone else to ask: either from weather that closes in too much or from a route that is beyond my reach, despite planning. And the need to think of all sorts of other things.

But it's worth it. From 4 hours up to about 8 or 9 hours. Just on my own. At my own pace. Change my route if I want to. Stop and enjoy a lovely view in my own time. Plan what for me are the harder sections on my own, then have the deep satisfaction of achievement when I get up them. And down them later on!

I think it also makes it nicer when I do walk the mountains with someone else: which is not that often, but gonna happen later this week for a couple of days with a lovely friend in the UK Peak District.

rhyang

by rhyang » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:00 pm

Partners are aid :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:23 pm

My two solo east coast mountain adventures I had last year I did on weekdays so it would be less packed. Mt. Mitchell it rained the whole time and I was completely alone til 3 people walked past me at the summit. Next day I went to clingmans dome and it was packed. I walked a mile and a half to Andrews bald and didn't see anybody. It was so calm. Wish it wasn't cloudy. When I went back to my car at clingmans dome it was still insanely packed. Bummed me out. Driving through gatlinberg(sp?) also bummed me out about the smokies. My trip to the dacks ruled. Met some cool mountaineers.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:37 pm

Bryan Benn wrote:It means there is a need to plan carefully to make sure I stay within my limited capabilities. The need to know when to turn back without anyone else to ask: either from weather that closes in too much or from a route that is beyond my reach, despite planning. And the need to think of all sorts of other things.

But it's worth it. From 4 hours up to about 8 or 9 hours. Just on my own. At my own pace. Change my route if I want to. Stop and enjoy a lovely view in my own time. Plan what for me are the harder sections on my own, then have the deep satisfaction of achievement when I get up them. And down them later on!

EXACTLY!!!!

graham

by graham » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:38 pm

Maybe I’m warped, but I’ve enjoyed all my days in the mountains, either with or without other folks. I can easily find zillions of homo sapiens free Sierra areas if I choose or I can join the March of the Penguins’ on Whitney, it’s all good. I especially enjoy the company of ravens, Clark’s nutcracker, bighorn sheep, big ol’ Sierra hares, etc……yeah, it’s all good 8)

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:45 pm

FortMental wrote:When I get old....

Sell all my crap to Squishy...
Move into a loft in the middle of some crappy city
Grow tomatoes and sensimillia in 5 gal. buckets on my roof
Take up painting
Paint naked college cheerleaders
Hike the sierras in summer, in a speedo, carrying a boombox, trailing a dozen stoned cheerleaders.

The hell with solitude. That's what suicide is for.

No ya won't... yu'll join those crusty old dudes up in the Yukon and live off of Moose fat steaks.

drjohnso1182

by drjohnso1182 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:48 pm

FortMental wrote:When I get old....

Sell all my crap to Squishy...
Move into a loft in the middle of some crappy city
Grow tomatoes and sensimillia in 5 gal. buckets on my roof
Take up painting
Paint naked college cheerleaders
Hike the sierras in summer, in a speedo, carrying a boombox, trailing a dozen stoned cheerleaders.

The hell with solitude. That's what suicide is for.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Charles

by Charles » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:48 pm

I find it always preferable to be in a quiet area. It´s not always possible though. As for with whom - I don´t much like larger groups, but that happens too. It´s good to be with someone with whom I have a rapport, a meeting of minds over what we´re doing together.
And I do go out alone - but mostly around where I live,and then I´m often meditating through the lens.
Cheers

mfox79

by mfox79 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:07 pm

When we topped out on Clouds Rest last summer there were easily about 30 or 40 people on the summit

I have been on a few summits in Utah and Colorado that fit that discription, I got so used to topping out on a summit and finding a crowd that it took me a few years of hiking/climbing in Idaho to get used to the solitude, now it's just the norm. If I want crowds I got to the City of Rocks :wink:

no avatar
Roam Around

by Roam Around » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:14 pm

If you don't like the crowd at the place your at - go somewhere else. Otherwise just smile and say hi as you pass thru.

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander