Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

SP new changes (done)

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.

Re: SP new changes (done)

Postby Montana Matt » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:37 pm

sjarelkwint wrote:Can you please dump the ability to change the CSS file on summitpost ... Let the whole of summitpost look the same!!!

I will consider it. Allowing CSS does enable people to create much more attractive pages. But, as you say, it also enables them to create pages that have no consistency in terms of looks, which is somewhat of a problem.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

The following user would like to thank Montana Matt for this post
Bob Sihler, mrchad9

Postby Scott » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:20 pm

One more small suggestion. Is there a way to have the entries in Plans and Partners automatically delete after the date has passed? For example, there are still many entries in there from people looking to climb xx mountain on July 2008 (or whatever).

Plans and Partners was a great idea, but it seems that not too many are using it, so maybe it wouldn't be worth the trouble (?).
Scott

Postby mrchad9 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:25 pm

I think Plans and Partners should be deleted, and a design developed to have it within the forums. With the right configuration I think it could get more attention, including a link to it on profile pages.
mrchad9

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
Matt Lemke

Postby Bob Sihler » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:36 pm

We actually were going to can Plans and Partners and encourage use of the forums instead, but that seems to have been forgotten. I had actually started creating forum categories for it but then held off until Plans and Partners went away.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Postby Scott » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:35 pm

One more thing I just thought of.

Matt, I assume that you've seen the thread about missing countries?

Also, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, it would help in the search to be able to search by territory or overseas country too. For example, if I was going to Sint Maartin, Puerto Rico, French Polynesia, or Guadaloupe soon, it would be nice to have an easy way to search for mountains in those places. If you needed a list of territories/overseas countries, I could certainly help out.
Scott

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
chugach mtn boy

Postby rgg » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:21 pm

I have absolutely no objection to people posting their plans in the forum, but for me the Plans & Partners section has worked out fine in the past.

Both in 2011 in Peru and in 2012 in the Alps I've teamed up with people from SP thanks to this, so I'm very much in favor of keeping it!
rgg

Postby Josh Lewis » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:49 pm

Once the new SP design is in, I'll be able to dump a lot of the code in my style sheet. Personally I think everyone has the right to have their own style on a page as long as it provides good beta. :wink: After the upgrade coming soon my pages should look a bit more on par with the current SP layout.

Please don't take away my customized logo, it looks awesome! :D
Plus Matt Lemke would have to re-stylize his pages too! (I got him into the style sheet business) 8)
Josh Lewis

Location: Lynnwood, Washington, The Cloudiest Place on Earth, United States

Postby mrchad9 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:51 pm

Josh I will be more impressed if you can take the ads off your profile page.
mrchad9

Postby mrchad9 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:16 pm

You can see profiles without logging in, just not via a link in the forums.
mrchad9

Postby Montana Matt » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:29 pm

Scott wrote:Matt, I assume that you've seen the thread about missing countries?

I did read that a while ago. I plan to add the missing ones in at some point, but it's not really a high priority at the moment. If someone could get me a list of missing ones (and any that may need deleting), that would be great.
Scott wrote:Also, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, it would help in the search to be able to search by territory or overseas country too. For example, if I was going to Sint Maartin, Puerto Rico, French Polynesia, or Guadaloupe soon, it would be nice to have an easy way to search for mountains in those places. If you needed a list of territories/overseas countries, I could certainly help out.

Yes, I would need a list to create that functionality, but I'm pretty sure I could do it.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:46 pm

Two more minor suggestions:

I miss the under construction feature where you could hide the page from the front page until it is 100% complete.

Any page with a special character in the title defaults to the top of the list of pages:

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/

This can be solved by the maintainer taking the out the quotations or whatever in the query name only (for those that don't know if you take them out in the query name they still appear fine and in quotations on the mountain page), but it is obvious that not everyone does this. Is there a way around this? If not, maybe they should default to show up at the end of the list rather than the beginning. That way people would have more of an incentive to take them out in the query name only.
Scott

Postby mrchad9 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:49 pm

Scott wrote:Two more minor suggestions:

I miss the under construction feature where you could hide the page from the front page until it is 100% complete.

Any page with a special character in the title defaults to the top of the list of pages:

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/

This can be solved by the maintainer taking the out the quotations or whatever in the query name only (for those that don't know if you take them out in the query name they still appear fine and in quotations on the mountain page), but it is obvious that not everyone does this. Is there a way around this? If not, maybe they should default to show up at the end of the list rather than the beginning. That way people would have more of an incentive to take them out in the query name only.

I doubt that sort of incentive would be noticed by most.

Given that only 30 or so pages are affected, I think it might be better to contact the page owners directly or have an elf add in the query name themselves rather than spend programming time on it.
mrchad9

Postby Scott » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:32 pm

have an elf add in the query name themselves rather than spend programming time on it.

Good idea.
Scott

Postby Bob Sihler » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:12 am

Scott wrote:Two more minor suggestions:

That's one of the things I've talked to Matt about restoring, and he says it should be fairly easy to do.

Maybe after the server matter is done and the new voting system and front page layout are established, it will be time to look into that, which would be a very nice feature.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback