Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

SP new changes (done)

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.

Re: SP new changes (done)

Postby Montana Matt » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:31 am

Scott wrote:I miss the under construction feature where you could hide the page from the front page until it is 100% complete.

It's already back and running on the dev server. When the transition is made, it will be there for you. Bob Sihler suggested it as well.
Scott wrote:Is there a way around this? If not, maybe they should default to show up at the end of the list rather than the beginning. That way people would have more of an incentive to take them out in the query name only.

Yeah, I've noticed that as well and it's kind of annoying. I'll think about changing it. Adding it to the ever growing list of things...
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby rgg » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:39 am

Montana Matt wrote:
Scott wrote:Matt, I assume that you've seen the thread about missing countries?

I did read that a while ago. I plan to add the missing ones in at some point, but it's not really a high priority at the moment. If someone could get me a list of missing ones (and any that may need deleting), that would be great.
Scott wrote:Also, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, it would help in the search to be able to search by territory or overseas country too. For example, if I was going to Sint Maartin, Puerto Rico, French Polynesia, or Guadaloupe soon, it would be nice to have an easy way to search for mountains in those places. If you needed a list of territories/overseas countries, I could certainly help out.

Yes, I would need a list to create that functionality, but I'm pretty sure I could do it.

I suggest sticking to the ISO 3166-1 countries; more specifically, to those that are officially assigned. You can find the list here: http://www.iso.org/iso/home/standards/country_codes/iso-3166-1_decoding_table.htm

All those that Scott mentions are in there.
rgg

Postby Bubba Suess » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:52 pm

Ok, this is just a personal tic for me so it may get any traction with anyone else. Early I suggested establishing two different categories for route pages in order to distinguish between technical and none technical. It was pointed out that one can already do this by setting the class of the route. Fair enough but this did not achieve my intended result, which was to segregate the technical and non-technical routes in the side bar. Here is an example were, of the 23 routes, the trails and more technical routes are all interspersed, ordered only by score.

What if the routes were ordered first by class and then by score. This would separate out the trails from the technical routes without creating a new category. Perhaps class 5 stuff could be at the top of the list, class 1 at the bottom. Doing this would make it easier for both hikers and climbers (and everything in between) to sift through the routes and find only the things they are interested in at a mere glance. Of course, there are a lot of pages that people would have to go back and input a class but if the mechanism was there than at least things could begin to sort out. Again, this may not gain purchase with anyone but I figured I would just throw it out there.
Bubba Suess

The following user would like to thank Bubba Suess for this post
MarkDidier

Postby mrchad9 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:08 pm

I think both ideas have merit Bubba. It's worth looking at.
mrchad9

Postby Diego Sahagún » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:12 pm

Thanks in advance for:

SP will be migrated to a new server tonight between 9pm and 12am EST. Along with the server move, there will also be some changes to the underlying system including a new logo and look and feel, as well as significant changes to the front page and the voting system. We are calling the new site SPv3. There will be some down time between 9pm and 10pm followed by the site coming back online but with a new message stating that anything done after that point will not make it to the new server.

(Above in every SP page now)
Diego Sahagún

Postby mrchad9 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:59 pm

I know Josh put a lot of hard work into what was done too.

Nice work Josh!
mrchad9

Postby chugach mtn boy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:26 pm

I am in awe of Matt's, Chad's and Josh's work on this (especially the math, Chad--holy moly). I apologize for everything mean I've ever said about you guys.
chugach mtn boy

The following user would like to thank chugach mtn boy for this post
Josh Lewis, mrchad9

Postby boyblue » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:01 pm

Scott wrote:Any page with a special character in the title defaults to the top of the list of pages:

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/

Oops. I had no idea that non-alpha characters in the query field causes this. :oops: That explains why three of my pages were at or near the top of the list. Don't worry. I went ahead and...

...and...

... and add quotes to all my submissions! :twisted:

Nah. Just kidding. They're gone. :lol:
boyblue

Postby mrchad9 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:30 pm

chugach mtn boy wrote:I apologize for everything mean I've ever said about you guys.

Let me get the list out...
mrchad9

Postby Montana Matt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:33 pm

mrchad9 wrote:I know Josh put a lot of hard work into what was done too.

Nice work Josh!

Yes, Josh has worked incredibly hard and making the new version of SP much cleaner and more modern. He's done a great job. I think it looks great!

And a huge thanks to you too Chad for all of the hard work coming up with the equations for the new voting system and all of the great feedback with regards to the front page and many other things!
Montana Matt
Site Admin

The following user would like to thank Montana Matt for this post
MarkDidier

Postby toxo » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:04 am

Josh, I thought you were straightedge. Why did you take Quaaludes while working on this project?

Never taken Quaaludes, but there is something rather '70s going on here.
toxo

Postby Josh Lewis » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:14 am

The dynamite went off. Everyone's power level changed dramatically. :lol: I lost almost half of mine. :wink: It's a good thing I am not worried about it. :D Change is on the horizon, and it's looking good.
My Websites: Alpine Josh · Alpine Ascent · AceMaps
Josh Lewis

Location: Lynnwood, Washington, The Cloudiest Place on Earth, United States

Postby SeanReedy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:43 am

Looks good! Thanks guys!
SeanReedy

Postby mrchad9 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:08 am

Josh Lewis wrote:The dynamite went off. Everyone's power level changed dramatically. :lol: I lost almost half of mine. :wink: It's a good thing I am not worried about it. :D Change is on the horizon, and it's looking good.

As far as I know, EVERYONE's power went down. Not aware of any exceptions to that, though there may be one or two.

That was part of it... they must be more valuable now.

: - )
mrchad9

Postby Matt Lemke » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:21 am

Thanks Chad for doing all that math! I really like the new algorithms.
Matt Lemke

The following user would like to thank Matt Lemke for this post
mrchad9, yatsek

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback