Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

SP new changes (done)

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
 

Re: SP changes

Postby Josh Lewis » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:35 pm

@ The Chief: I give people the freedom of choice. I provide as much beta as I can when creating pages. However when I go out into the mountains there are times where the beta is completely available, but I choose not to read a single sentence. I agree that it's more fun that way. However, I stand by the principal of encouraging folk to get out and climb. If the info encourages folks enough, then it served it's purpose. Plus if one gets lost, it's nice to have just in case. :wink:
My Websites: Personal Website · PeakBeta · AceMaps
User Avatar
Josh Lewis

 
Posts: 2776
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:12 pm
Location: Lynnwood, Washington, The Cloudiest Place on Earth, United States
Thanked: 673 times in 434 posts

Re: SP changes

Postby Sarah Simon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:00 pm

lcarreau wrote:
The Chief wrote:I guess the Golden Rule of "KISS" no longer pertains here.




Well, Larry the SP Forums Muse, at least if that video is from the 96-97 Reunion Tour, we're listening to the One and Only Ace Frehley play guitar and not that Tommy Thayer guy. :lol:
Go climb a mountain
User Avatar
Sarah Simon

 
Posts: 937
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:01 am
Location: Black Forest, Colorado, United States
Thanked: 240 times in 108 posts

Re: SP new changes (done)

Postby Marcsoltan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:40 pm

I am tired of looking at the same old photos on my profile page. I know this is due to the score of the images. Is it possible to to at least have the option to choose?
User Avatar
Marcsoltan

 
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:36 am
Location: California, United States
Thanked: 78 times in 28 posts

The following user would like to thank Marcsoltan for this post
AlbertoRampini, awilsondc, lcarreau, Silvia Mazzani

Re: SP new changes (done)

Postby Bruno » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:00 pm

Marcsoltan wrote:I am tired of looking at the same old photos on my profile page. I know this is due to the score of the images.

In order to help you having other pictures appearing on your profile page, I have just downvoted all 27 images currently appearing on you profile. If a few other altruistic members can do the same, that would definitively lower their score and solve your problem. (just kidding)
User Avatar
Bruno

 
Posts: 278
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:16 am
Thanked: 110 times in 74 posts

Re: SP new changes (done)

Postby Marcsoltan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:04 pm

Bruno wrote:
Marcsoltan wrote:I am tired of looking at the same old photos on my profile page. I know this is due to the score of the images.

In order to help you having other pictures appearing on your profile page, I have just downvoted all 27 images currently appearing on you profile. If a few other altruistic members can do the same, that would definitively lower their score and solve your problem. (just kidding)


Thank you for your kindness, but that still doesn't give me the option to choose my own.
User Avatar
Marcsoltan

 
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:36 am
Location: California, United States
Thanked: 78 times in 28 posts

Re: SP changes

Postby lcarreau » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:13 pm

Sarah Simon wrote:
lcarreau wrote:
The Chief wrote:I guess the Golden Rule of "KISS" no longer pertains here.




Well, Larry the SP Forums Muse, at least if that video is from the 96-97 Reunion Tour, we're listening to the One and Only Ace Frehley play guitar and not that Tommy Thayer guy. :lol:



Ain't nuthin' like the Ace, Sarah ... :wink:

Image
User Avatar
lcarreau

 
Posts: 4059
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:27 pm
Location: Court of the Crimson King, Arizona, United States
Thanked: 1084 times in 812 posts

Re: SP new changes (done)

Postby Josh Lewis » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:27 pm

To make it more dynamic it would be neat to show your most recent photos on the profile. And of course keeping the highest rated link just to show those too.
Last edited by Josh Lewis on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Websites: Personal Website · PeakBeta · AceMaps
User Avatar
Josh Lewis

 
Posts: 2776
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:12 pm
Location: Lynnwood, Washington, The Cloudiest Place on Earth, United States
Thanked: 673 times in 434 posts

Re: SP new changes (done)

Postby mrchad9 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:41 pm

Marcsoltan if you remove some of your photos from your profile page... perhaps I will add them to mine. I don't have any from Utah in my mix and they are nice photos!
User Avatar
mrchad9

 
Posts: 4237
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 am
Location: San Ramon, California, United States
Thanked: 1222 times in 829 posts

Re: SP new changes (done)

Postby Bruno » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:02 am

Marcsoltan wrote:
Bruno wrote:
Marcsoltan wrote:I am tired of looking at the same old photos on my profile page. I know this is due to the score of the images.

In order to help you having other pictures appearing on your profile page, I have just downvoted all 27 images currently appearing on you profile. If a few other altruistic members can do the same, that would definitively lower their score and solve your problem. (just kidding)


Thank you for your kindness, but that still doesn't give me the option to choose my own.

You're certainly right. Another option is to create an album with the selection of pictures you want to look at. An album is far superior to the profile page as the pictures are larger and do offer better viewing comfort.


More seriously, I would prefer to have these 27 pictures not appearing on anybody's profile page (including mine), but instead to have their area/mountain/route pages appearing with more detail (e.g. with indication of country, altitude, route difficulty, or why not with a picture) or at least to have these pages appearing above the current selection of pictures. The current structure of the profile page is just an invitation for the lazy to lurk at pictures instead of going down and looking at more relevant pages. It is exactly the same for the "what's new page".
User Avatar
Bruno

 
Posts: 278
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:16 am
Thanked: 110 times in 74 posts

Re: SP new changes (done)

Postby Bubba Suess » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:26 am

Bruno wrote:More seriously, I would prefer to have these 27 pictures not appearing on anybody's profile page (including mine), but instead to have their area/mountain/route pages appearing with more detail (e.g. with indication of country, altitude, route difficulty, or why not with a picture) or at least to have these pages appearing above the current selection of pictures. The current structure of the profile page is just an invitation for the lazy to lurk at pictures instead of going down and looking at more relevant pages. It is exactly the same for the "what's new page".

I think this is an intriguing idea. Perhaps folks can choose an extended profile that included an image with each object. This could retract and expand similar to the comments section. I also think that being able to choose the most recent images to be displayed rather than the highest score is a good idea. Or perhaps, have a mix with the top row showing the highest score and the lower rows cycling the most recent.
User Avatar
Bubba Suess

 
Posts: 714
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:15 pm
Location: Mount Shasta, California, United States
Thanked: 181 times in 103 posts

Re: SP new changes (done)

Postby Josh Lewis » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:48 am

Reminds me of my website. Here's an example of a profile with tabs to display different sections: www.alpineascent.com/profile/userprofile/Josh
My Websites: Personal Website · PeakBeta · AceMaps
User Avatar
Josh Lewis

 
Posts: 2776
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:12 pm
Location: Lynnwood, Washington, The Cloudiest Place on Earth, United States
Thanked: 673 times in 434 posts

Re: SP new changes (done)

Postby mrchad9 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:09 am

I like Bruno's idea.

I do like the existing photos on the profile too though, as it shows a bit of the personality and area for which a member is from when looking at others profiles.

But some enhancements can be made. It gets stale for you own page. Tons of possibilities too.
User Avatar
mrchad9

 
Posts: 4237
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 am
Location: San Ramon, California, United States
Thanked: 1222 times in 829 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.