SP History?

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
mvs

Re: SP History?

by mvs » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:12 pm

They are incredible articles. What I don't get is, what happens to all these amazing personalities and stellar contributors when they go away? It seems like they found something they really liked at SP, hence their contributions. But the first strong wind blows and they leave (vast oversimplification, I know). Take Aaron for example. Just read his text...it seems to come from a place of incredible wisdom, and intimate knowledge of all the subtle problems that can plague a site like SP. He seems absolutely committed to it, as well. He speaks with balance and understanding (and pity) for the foibles that knocked one or another great contributor off of their game. And yet he is gone too...even taking these pages with him, which are actually a kind of tribal history that doesn't belong to any one person anymore. How strange!

hansw

by hansw » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:51 pm

Aaron makes his view clear under his User Name.
"I wonder why. I wonder why. I wonder why I wonder. I wonder why I wonder why. I wonder why I wonder!"
- Richard Feynman

Matt Lemke

by Matt Lemke » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:02 pm

Thank you Michael for finding these. Being a fairly new member I haven't read these and will do so with pleasure.
Aaron's work will not be forgotten and I believe SP will be around for a long time.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:12 pm

mvs wrote:They are incredible articles. What I don't get is, what happens to all these amazing personalities and stellar contributors when they go away? It seems like they found something they really liked at SP, hence their contributions. But the first strong wind blows and they leave (vast oversimplification, I know). Take Aaron for example. Just read his text...it seems to come from a place of incredible wisdom, and intimate knowledge of all the subtle problems that can plague a site like SP. He seems absolutely committed to it, as well. He speaks with balance and understanding (and pity) for the foibles that knocked one or another great contributor off of their game. And yet he is gone too...even taking these pages with him, which are actually a kind of tribal history that doesn't belong to any one person anymore. How strange!

Why do you think this is strange? You were completely committed to leaving this site at one point, said there was no debating it and no turning back. You mind was completely made up. But still you changed your mind. He did too.

His articles belong to him and no one else. I hate to see them go too, but he put all the work into creating them.

mvs

by mvs » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:35 pm

mrchad9 wrote:
mvs wrote:They are incredible articles. What I don't get is, what happens to all these amazing personalities and stellar contributors when they go away? It seems like they found something they really liked at SP, hence their contributions. But the first strong wind blows and they leave (vast oversimplification, I know). Take Aaron for example. Just read his text...it seems to come from a place of incredible wisdom, and intimate knowledge of all the subtle problems that can plague a site like SP. He seems absolutely committed to it, as well. He speaks with balance and understanding (and pity) for the foibles that knocked one or another great contributor off of their game. And yet he is gone too...even taking these pages with him, which are actually a kind of tribal history that doesn't belong to any one person anymore. How strange!

Why do you think this is strange? You were completely committed to leaving this site at one point, said there was no debating it and no turning back. You mind was completely made up. But still you changed your mind. He did too.

His articles belong to him and no one else. I hate to see them go too, but he put all the work into creating them.

You must have forgotten what I actually said when I left a year ago. I left because the site had allowed an environment of bullying and harrassment to fester. You were a part of that, mrchad9. I came back, because the Elves resolved to fight back against this. I know that a lot of hay has been made about my decision to return, describing it as a failure to keep my word. But the way I see it, I returned because there was a new willingness to fight back against, I'm sorry if I'm using too strong a word: evil behavior.

Staying away while others fought would have been a betrayal of my own principles. Call this what you like. As far as I'm concerned, those battles are fought and done with. Your presence here again, is actually proof of that, as you well know.

Now back to the discussion. I agree Aaron's articles are his own. But I can't help but see similarities between why he left and why I left. I returned because I was able to see some hope of change. And that hope was realized. I do feel some sadness because he didn't get to see that.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:03 pm

True I was part of that, and having been a victim of such harrassment took some time for me to deal with.

I think you overlooked my point through the details though... I was trying to communicate that people have their reasons, and their commitment level to remain and decision on whether to do so can change, just as yours did. Consequently, I don't think others' behaviors in this regard are particularly strange. If for no other reason, then that it (people coming and going) happens all the time.

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:21 pm

2092 posts in a little over two years ........

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:24 pm

Thanks KathyW, with your post we'll now see #2093.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:32 pm

I have deleted all of my mountain and route pages. Now I'm working on deleting my climber's log entries and my photos. I'm just not interested in contributing to Summitpost anymore.

Cathy, does not seem like it should take that long ; )

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:42 pm

Vitaliy M. wrote:Cathy, does not seem like it should take that long ; )

If an elf did it, it would be as fast as lightning!

(It's relevant folks, there's a mountain in the picture) :wink:

Baarb

by Baarb » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:32 am

anita wrote:so what if they took their contributions? it's all information that is already out there.. it's not like they're deleting that info from the universe for all of eternity.

For the mountains that people go to a lot, yes perhaps it would be easy to replicate, though less so if the page was particularly good to start with as is often the case. On the other hand if a mountain or route is rarely visited due to location or rarely completed due to difficulty, then that information is a real loss because it's not likely to be anywhere else either. I'm glad that people like Corax contribute to the site because they really go to places rarely trodden, if ever. You could say that even fewer people will care if that info goes but it's a shame either way.

The following user would like to thank Baarb for this post
chugach mtn boy, lcarreau, Marmaduke, mrchad9

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:51 am

Oh, for crying out LOUD. This thread really turned MELANCHOLY, with people stating that Summitpost APPEARS to be going downhill. :cry:

Electric violn music PLEASE, Maestro !

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yz6new6M5M[/youtube]
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:55 am

Thanks for the video of the Hour Larry. 8) A break in drama is always nice. :)

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:16 am

Josh Lewis wrote:Thanks for the video of the Hour Larry. 8) A break in drama is always nice. :)

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Baarb

by Baarb » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:02 am

I would vote for a spot on the front page which says "Is SP getting you down? Click here." and you would be taken to a random post of lcarreau's in the forum. If it didn't look ridiculous I would click 'Thanks' on every one.

The following user would like to thank Baarb for this post
lcarreau

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback