Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

SP Home Page

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
 

Re: SP Home Page

Postby Matt Lemke » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:31 pm

Photo of the Moment has proven to work on other sites very well such as on http://mountainproject.com/

I agree that making all three slots POTM is better than continuing the POD and POW.
User Avatar
Matt Lemke

 
Posts: 523
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:34 am
Location: Red Lodge, Montana, United States
Thanked: 90 times in 71 posts

Re: SP Home Page

Postby mrchad9 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:20 pm

Yay! I am glad the POTM idea is taking off.

Diego Sahagún wrote:Chad, your home page is very similar to the current page. You've only changed the blocks from left to right and reverse. And also you've added those yellow shadows.

Photo of the moment is a good idea mate

True. Yes as Josh pointed out he created the yellow shading. I just modified his mockup. Simple chages on my part, just a little rearranging to try to draw more attention to certain areas. Nothing sophisticated other than the POTM addition.

Bob- as Josh pointed out I think it will be difficult to automate three different image types because the images categories largely are not used (and if using the tags were necessary to get your photo in the running a new member wouldn't know that and would be at an unfair disadvantage). I think at least one needs to be the recent photo as I originally described. If others are manual that is fine, though I tend to favor more automated and less labor intensive (and potentially accusations of favoritism) processes.
User Avatar
mrchad9

 
Posts: 4188
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 am
Location: San Ramon, California, United States
Thanked: 1206 times in 817 posts

Re: SP Home Page

Postby Montana Matt » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:31 pm

mrchad9 wrote:2. Added a 'Photo of the Moment'. I got this idea from some of Dow's earlier comments. The idea here is that it would be constantly changing. It should show the most recent photo added to the site that has some minimum criteria... a low one. The threshold is very low to make it almost random, basically showing the most recent photos added but with some criteria so it isn't just garbage. Often this photo might not be present very long, maybe just minutes, sometimes hours, depending on site activity. It isn't the highest scoring photo, since it is replaced as soon as a newer one meets the criteria. This also shakes up the POTD process until we can get adjustments there (there becomes some advantage to submitting photos mid-day as opposed to 1:00 - 4:00 AM). I don't know how easy this is to program, but if Matt can do it this will be very cool.

This could be quite difficult to achieve if we want to prevent crap from showing up while still selecting photos (somewhat randomly) from recent submissions.

What about including photos from the previous week or two in the selection? That would present a large number of photos and to be able to select one at random without as much risk of crap ending up being chosen. And how long should it stay there? Should it change on every page load? Then it really would be the "Photo of the Moment".
User Avatar
Montana Matt
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1136
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:06 pm
Location: Ashland, Oregon, United States
Thanked: 341 times in 184 posts

Re: SP Home Page

Postby Matt Lemke » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:38 pm

Matt,
Yes I like the every page load! That's the whole point of POTM. :)
User Avatar
Matt Lemke

 
Posts: 523
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:34 am
Location: Red Lodge, Montana, United States
Thanked: 90 times in 71 posts

Re: SP Home Page

Postby mrchad9 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:45 pm

Montana Matt wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:2. Added a 'Photo of the Moment'. I got this idea from some of Dow's earlier comments. The idea here is that it would be constantly changing. It should show the most recent photo added to the site that has some minimum criteria... a low one. The threshold is very low to make it almost random, basically showing the most recent photos added but with some criteria so it isn't just garbage. Often this photo might not be present very long, maybe just minutes, sometimes hours, depending on site activity. It isn't the highest scoring photo, since it is replaced as soon as a newer one meets the criteria. This also shakes up the POTD process until we can get adjustments there (there becomes some advantage to submitting photos mid-day as opposed to 1:00 - 4:00 AM). I don't know how easy this is to program, but if Matt can do it this will be very cool.

This could be quite difficult to achieve if we want to prevent crap from showing up while still selecting photos (somewhat randomly) from recent submissions.

What about including photos from the previous week or two in the selection? That would present a large number of photos and to be able to select one at random without as much risk of crap ending up being chosen. And how long should it stay there? Should it change on every page load? Then it really would be the "Photo of the Moment".

If the criteria is as I described in my PM to you, I don't think much crap would show up. It would take some support and regardless wouldn't remain very long, as it would be replaced as soon as future photos met the criteria.

Changing every load is a possibility, but I wonder if that leads folks to ignore it since they know they are the only ones seeing it... thus it seems less 'special'. I like the idea of everyone seeing the same thing, and it getting that photo a little bit of attention.
User Avatar
mrchad9

 
Posts: 4188
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 am
Location: San Ramon, California, United States
Thanked: 1206 times in 817 posts

Re: SP Home Page

Postby Montana Matt » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:46 pm

mrchad9 wrote:If the criteria is as I described in my PM to you, I don't think much crap would show up.

I'm still reading through that and digesting it.
mrchad9 wrote:Changing every load is a possibility, but I wonder if that leads folks to ignore it since they know they are the only ones seeing it... thus is seems less 'special'.

Well, what if the criteria were such that perhaps only ten or so photos rotated with every page load? That way the photo would come up one out of every 10 times or so?
User Avatar
Montana Matt
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1136
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:06 pm
Location: Ashland, Oregon, United States
Thanked: 341 times in 184 posts

Re: SP Home Page

Postby mrchad9 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:48 pm

Well then you'd have to define a criteria to select those 10 photos...

Montana Matt wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:If the criteria is as I described in my PM to you, I don't think much crap would show up.

I'm still reading through that and digesting it.

I didn't proofread it so good luck.
User Avatar
mrchad9

 
Posts: 4188
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 am
Location: San Ramon, California, United States
Thanked: 1206 times in 817 posts

Re: SP Home Page

Postby Baarb » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:40 am

Personally I would be interested in seeing either the 'Photo of the Moment' or a picture somewhere in another guise linked to how many comments there were rather than votes. Sure you see a pretty sunrise from some peak or other you might give it a high vote but the ones that get all the comments have that extra edge that makes someone want to write something, be it a question or an observation.
User Avatar
Baarb

 
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:42 pm
Location: The Village with Three Corners
Thanked: 42 times in 29 posts

Re: SP Home Page

Postby Montana Matt » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:01 am

Baarb, that would be an interesting dimension to add to the selection process. I don't know how often the number of comments correlates directly to the quality of a photo, but is is definitely worth taking into consideration during the selection process.
User Avatar
Montana Matt
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1136
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:06 pm
Location: Ashland, Oregon, United States
Thanked: 341 times in 184 posts

Re: SP Home Page

Postby mrchad9 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:06 am

It would quickly be manipulated if it were known to be a factor.
User Avatar
mrchad9

 
Posts: 4188
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 am
Location: San Ramon, California, United States
Thanked: 1206 times in 817 posts

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
Bob Sihler

Re: SP Home Page

Postby Josh Lewis » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:51 am

While it's a neat idea, I agree with Mr. Chad. Plus we could always look in What's new if we were wanting to see commented photos. :wink:
My Websites: Alpine Josh · Alpine Ascent · AceMaps
User Avatar
Josh Lewis

 
Posts: 2285
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:12 pm
Location: Lynnwood, Washington, The Cloudiest Place on Earth, United States
Thanked: 475 times in 324 posts

Re: SP Home Page

Postby visentin » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:38 am

Idea: users should be able to parametrize the content of the home page according to some preferences, like :
- Geographical areas they are interested into
- Disciplines they are interested into (skiing, rock-climbing, etc)
User Avatar
visentin

 
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:27 pm
Location: WrocBaw, France and, Poland
Thanked: 82 times in 57 posts

The following user would like to thank visentin for this post
johnm, mrchad9

Re: SP Home Page

Postby Montana Matt » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:34 pm

Great idea visentin! This would be challenging to implement, but it would definitely add huge value for most users. I really like the idea and will think on it.
User Avatar
Montana Matt
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1136
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:06 pm
Location: Ashland, Oregon, United States
Thanked: 341 times in 184 posts

Re: SP Home Page

Postby visentin » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:11 pm

There are two major conditions for this to work :
- Every user would need to update their profile with favorite activities. This could be done in the form of a mandatory update next login from when the change takes place.
- All the content would need to be classified more accurately (is it a ski route ? a climbing route ? hiking ? or many of these ?). The current lack of tags (or messy tags) on most pages is in my opinion the most problematic... one remedy could be to allow each user including non owners, or even non-members of SP, to fix tags on all pages.
User Avatar
visentin

 
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:27 pm
Location: WrocBaw, France and, Poland
Thanked: 82 times in 57 posts

Re: SP Home Page

Postby Josh Lewis » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:41 pm

I like the ability to change it on your profile. I thought of an idea similar to this a while back. How I would have made it is to create a few different templates of the site that are almost exactly the same, but have each template display for each category "climbing, hiking, ect". However this method goes with what tools I have, I'm sure there's an even easier way to create this.

Regarding the community being able to tag: While I think it's a neat idea, that's what additions and corrections are for. If the owner ignores them, it should be brought to the attention of the admins (perhaps a polite PM to the owner first). The admins should act accordingly to missing information.
My Websites: Alpine Josh · Alpine Ascent · AceMaps
User Avatar
Josh Lewis

 
Posts: 2285
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:12 pm
Location: Lynnwood, Washington, The Cloudiest Place on Earth, United States
Thanked: 475 times in 324 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.