Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

SP Home Page

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.

Re: SP Home Page

Postby visentin » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:49 pm

90% of page owners are not connecting anymore to SP. Do you know any elves willing to do that ?
visentin

Postby lcarreau » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:07 am

Photo of the Moment? Cool ... but what about .....

lcarreau

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
mrchad9

Postby Bob Sihler » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:09 am

visentin wrote:90% of page owners are not connecting anymore to SP. Do you know any elves willing to do that ?

Do what? I'm not quite sure what the question is.
"Some men just want to watch the world burn."
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Postby visentin » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:00 am

maintain unmaintained pages
visentin

Postby Bob Sihler » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:18 pm

visentin wrote:maintain unmaintained pages

Okay. If abandoned pages need important information updated or corrected and no one wants to adopt the page, yes, an elf will make the changes.
"Some men just want to watch the world burn."
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Postby visentin » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:55 pm

This is not what I mean, read above. You are describing what's happening currently when a page needs update for some reason and the user has gone since long.
Now the context is : if, for forthcoming SP improvement or new feature, most pages require a better classification by route type (or worse, any additional field than we can imagine) then almost all pages will need reviewing.
Elves can't bear this load of work (they're humans, with a job, with limited amount of free time...)
Picture yourself sorting ten thousand pages by selecting if they are a ski route or climbing route or any other.
Even for usual updates I think the most time goes, the most the elves model, when it comes about adopting or modifying out of current rights system (PMing the owner, etc), is outdated. Except faithful members (we are maximum a hundred), most SP users tend to discover SP, to like it for a year or two, then slowly disappear. I admit myself I have less and less time with a child and a new job...
In the pile of pages that constitute the ecosystem of SP the percentage of pages belonging to active user is getting smaller and smaller... like the emerged part of the iceberg.
There is a strong need for allowing a page to be further updated beyond the current system of rights.
From this there is open way to all sort of ideas...
I don't even know myself what could be best, but I think that there could be a system like any user can post a page modification, and it goes online when a certain number of other users approve it (2,3,5 ?)
visentin

Postby mrchad9 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:59 pm

Propose solutions... not problems!
mrchad9

Postby Montana Matt » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:41 pm

visentin wrote:There is a strong need for allowing a page to be further updated beyond the current system of rights.

I agree visentin. And it has been on my list of things to "fix" for some time, but I haven't really thought of a good solution yet.

Perhaps something along the lines of:
1) Check all pages (other than images) every night to see how long it has been since the page owner has even logged into SP.
2) If the time exceeds one year, the page can then be assigned to some "dummy" account where it will be held in trust until someone else has the interest to adopt it.
3) If no one wishes to adopt the page, then elves, if they have the time and knowledge, can update the page, if necessary.
4) If the original owner comes back to SP and the page isn't already taken over by someone else, ownership may be restored.

I'm also thinking about ways to make creating/owning pages more collaborative, a related, but probably separate discussion.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby Josh Lewis » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:38 pm

Pages that are owned by inactive members can be claimed (this has been going on for a long time now).

However there is a bigger issue, active members who own pages but never fix them. I've seen this a number of times. I would nicely send them a PM, and they would reply "Nah, the page is fine the way it is". :x :x :x I could bring up examples, but I don't want to rudely expose anyone. I can't blame the elves because the page owner meets the criteria of being "active". This is where I get annoyed with the idea of "private content". Personally I like community property. Obviously that won't fly with the SP community. The additions box was my favorite compromise.
My Websites: Alpine Josh · Alpine Ascent · AceMaps
Josh Lewis

Location: Lynnwood, Washington, The Cloudiest Place on Earth, United States

Postby mrchad9 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:02 pm

Call them out in public Josh. I don't think it is rude if you tried contacting them first.

My desire is that we get some support to start work on the 'page additions' box again, as you indicate. I think that would be the biggest asset to this site as a whole after the previously discussed and agreed to items are implemented.
mrchad9

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
Josh Lewis

Postby butitsadryheat » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:45 pm

Josh Lewis wrote:Pages that are owned by inactive members can be claimed (this has been going on for a long time now).

However there is a bigger issue, active members who own pages but never fix them. I've seen this a number of times. I would nicely send them a PM, and they would reply "Nah, the page is fine the way it is". :x :x :x I could bring up examples, but I don't want to rudely expose anyone. I can't blame the elves because the page owner meets the criteria of being "active". This is where I get annoyed with the idea of "private content". Personally I like community property. Obviously that won't fly with the SP community. The additions box was my favorite compromise.

Vote on it and giveit a 1/10. Maybe that will get their attention and tell them that it sucks in some way. If they care, they will ask why you did it, and correct it. If not, it will eventually fall to the bottom of a list, or be looked at with the approriate skepticism, no?
butitsadryheat

Postby Mark Doiron » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:27 am

Josh Lewis wrote:... However there is a bigger issue, active members who own pages but never fix them. I've seen this a number of times. I would nicely send them a PM, and they would reply "Nah, the page is fine the way it is". ... The additions box was my favorite compromise.

Don't PM them. Just use the additions/corrections box, explain what is wrong, and provide the correct info. At least then anyone using that page has the chance to see and have the correct info; a PM denies them that. No one should use PMs because they consider a comment put into the additions corrections box as derogatory (unless the comment is written that way, which it shouldn't be). Pages get out of date because things change and we shouldn't expect that a page owner will learn of it immediately. But, when someone does learn of it, it's healthy for the community that the correct info is made available quickly. If the information is of a nature that could place someone's life or limb at risk, and the owner doesn't act within a few days or has been inactive a long time, ask the elves for assistance.
Mark Doiron

Postby lcarreau » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:23 am

mrchad9 wrote:Propose solutions... not problems!

I gotta small problem ..

lcarreau

Postby Montana Matt » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:39 am

butitsadryheat wrote:Vote on it and giveit a 1/10. Maybe that will get their attention and tell them that it sucks in some way. If they care, they will ask why you did it, and correct it. If not, it will eventually fall to the bottom of a list, or be looked at with the approriate skepticism, no?

I can't seem to find any evidence of it in the SP code, but originally the system was designed to "detach" pages that had too low of a score. It would become orphaned and not show up in any of the search results until the page score got back over a certain threshold.

Perhaps something similar could be implemented again, but instead of detaching, any page that had too low of a score, and remained that way for some fixed amount of time (say 2 months?) would come up for adoption.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback