Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

SP images being hosted by new server

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.

Postby Montana Matt » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:13 am

MoapaPk wrote:
brenta wrote:I've only run a handful of tests (with Firefox), but it seems to be related to the extension of the image file: .jpg is good and .JPG is bad.

Thanks, I just repeated that with my SP-hosted images, and that's exactly what I got, in about 10 trials. Puzzling; I would think the client-side app decides if an image will be displayed in browser window. My browser displays local images correctly whether they are JPG or jpg.

I can't see why it would make a difference (even knowing that the server OS is case-sensitive), but maybe the server folks need to associate both jpg and JPG with images.

Evidently the code library I used to upload all of the images to the cloud didn't recognize files with the extension JPG as a file type of 'image/jpeg'. So when I uploaded the images, the content-type header for files with the extension JPG wasn't set correctly.

Thus, the header being sent from the cloud file server isn't the correct content-type header. It's sending 'text/plain' instead of 'image/jpeg'. Evidently FireFox uses this to determine whether or not to render the image in the browser. IE8 doesn't (all images are rendered by the browser). Currently, there isn't a way to change the header type being sent once the file is on their server unless you re upload the file. RackSpace is supposedly working on a solution to this, but until the solution is released, things will most likely remain this way. They told me that "This feature is in development, but we don't have a public timeline for it."

The only way for me to fix it at this point is to re upload all of the images to the cloud server and I don't feel like this annoyance is worth the time or expense to re upload all of the images. Hopefully RackSpace will make a change soon on their end so that I can simply change the content type.
Dragger wrote:
butitsadryheat wrote:I am seeing the dreaded red X, and some of the photos are not showing up on my profile at all. Simply white squares. All of the title and description info appears, but not the photos themselves.

Strange

This is happening to me as well. Strangely, if I use Craig's computer it's fine -- only on mine cannot seem to load the images. We are both running XP with IE.

I'm guessing that this is probably related. What version of IE are you using?

Perhaps the version of IE you're using requires the content type to be set correctly and therefore isn't displaying the images. If this is the case, it might make this problem a higher priority and if a fix doesn't come soon from RackSpace so that I can simply change the content type header, I might have to upload all of the images again....ugh.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby MoapaPk » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:36 am

Ugh Matt, what a PITA! I never realized this much went on behind the scenes.
MoapaPk

Postby rhyang » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:05 am

I see the http://c0278592.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com stuff on XP running either MSIE8 or Firefox 3.5.5. Same thing on my Vista machine with Firefox 3.0.15 and MSIE8.

Strangely, with some pics the image appears in the browser window with the rackspacecloud.com URL, and with others I'm prompted to open the picture with the registered picture editor on my machine. The former behavior -

http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.p ... t_id=92822

The latter -

http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.p ... _id=403079

But only in Firefox.. MSIE8 seems to treat them both the same way. Are different batches of pics being delivered with a different content type ?
rhyang

Postby lcarreau » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:13 am

MoapaPk wrote:Ugh Matt, what a PITA! I never realized this much went on behind the scenes.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain ...

THE GREAT OZ has spoken!

lcarreau

Postby Dragger » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:47 am

Montana Matt wrote:This is happening to me as well. Strangely, if I use Craig's computer it's fine -- only on mine cannot seem to load the images. We are both running XP with IE.
I'm guessing that this is probably related. What version of IE are you using?

IE 8.0.6001.18702

Hopefully this helps.
Dragger

Postby Montana Matt » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:03 am

rhyang wrote:I see the http://c0278592.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com stuff on XP running either MSIE8 or Firefox 3.5.5. Same thing on my Vista machine with Firefox 3.0.15 and MSIE8.

Strangely, with some pics the image appears in the browser window with the rackspacecloud.com URL, and with others I'm prompted to open the picture with the registered picture editor on my machine. The former behavior -

http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.p ... t_id=92822

The latter -

http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.p ... _id=403079

But only in Firefox.. MSIE8 seems to treat them both the same way. Are different batches of pics being delivered with a different content type ?

Maybe you missed the previous posts on this thread made by MoapaPk, Dragger and me because that's the same thing that they reported and what I commented on here:
http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewto ... =15#694167

No matter what browser you use, the image is going to come from http://c0278592.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com because all of the images are hosted there now but if the image has an extension .jpg, it will be rendered in the browser. If it's has an extension of .JPG it will be downloaded to your local computer when using FireFox because the content-type header isn't being set correctly due to a problem with the script I used to upload the images to the cloud.
Dragger wrote:IE 8.0.6001.18702

Hopefully this helps.

Ok, I'm guessing that must be an issue on your end because I'm running the same setup here at home (well, almost, I have version 8.0.6001.18828) and I haven't seen any issues with images not displaying. In fact, the issue with them not being rendered by the browser when viewing the image directly isn't even existent in IE8. I'd also guess that if inline images weren't rendering for most people with IE8 we'd have a lot more reports of it.

Just a shot in the dark, but perhaps you have some setting in your browser to only allow images on a page to display if they are from the same domain (summitpost.org)? Since the images are coming from rackspacecloud.com this would cause them not to display.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby visentin » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:31 am

Montana Matt wrote:No matter what browser you use, the image is going to come from http://c0278592.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com because all of the images are hosted there now but if the image has an extension .jpg, it will be rendered in the browser. If it's has an extension of .JPG it will be downloaded to your local computer when using FireFox because the content-type header isn't being set correctly due to a problem with the script I used to upload the images to the cloud.

I'm having this problem too and cannot see any picture in full size. Does anyone know how to fix it in Firefox ? (no, I don't want to use another brower)
visentin

Postby Arthur Digbee » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:33 am

FWIW, I just checked and it's still happening, at least in Firefox: .jpg opens in Firefox while .JPG opens in Windows picture viewer.
Arthur Digbee

Postby rhyang » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:04 pm

visentin wrote:
Montana Matt wrote:No matter what browser you use, the image is going to come from http://c0278592.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com because all of the images are hosted there now but if the image has an extension .jpg, it will be rendered in the browser. If it's has an extension of .JPG it will be downloaded to your local computer when using FireFox because the content-type header isn't being set correctly due to a problem with the script I used to upload the images to the cloud.

I'm having this problem too and cannot see any picture in full size. Does anyone know how to fix it in Firefox ? (no, I don't want to use another brower)

Here is a nasty hack which will change the file association on your machine for .jpg files to firefox -

1. Right-click on a .JPG file in Explorer; click Properties.
2. Click the 'Change' button in the Opens With section.
3. In the Open With window, select (or browse to) Firefox.
4. Now go to the image on SP and click on it -- you will get the download window. The Open With box should already have firefox selected.
5. Click 'Do this automatically for files like this ..' box. Press OK.
6. The file will download and display in a browser tab.

One side effect is that things like image preview will send the image to Firefox instead of your image editor when you click Ctrl-E (I'm sure you can think of others). You can still right-click on the image in Explorer and select Open With though ..

Hopefully this will only be temporary.
rhyang

Postby Dragger » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:25 pm

Montana Matt wrote:

Hopefully this helps.

Ok, I'm guessing that must be an issue on your end because I'm running the same setup here at home (well, almost, I have version 8.0.6001.18828) and I haven't seen any issues with images not displaying. In fact, the issue with them not being rendered by the browser when viewing the image directly isn't even existent in IE8. I'd also guess that if inline images weren't rendering for most people with IE8 we'd have a lot more reports of it.

Just a shot in the dark, but perhaps you have some setting in your browser to only allow images on a page to display if they are from the same domain (summitpost.org)? Since the images are coming from rackspacecloud.com this would cause them not to display.

Hmmmmm... it's strange -- I can see images that people link to from other sites -- does this makes sense? For example, I can see llama pictures linked in PnP :wink: but I cannot see any images hosted by SP. When I go to my own profile, everything is blank. :cry:
Dragger

Postby rhyang » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:31 pm

Dragger wrote:
Montana Matt wrote:

Hopefully this helps.

Hmmmmm... it's strange -- I can see images that people link to from other sites -- does this makes sense? For example, I can see llama pictures linked in PnP :wink: but I cannot see any images hosted by SP. When I go to my own profile, everything is blank. :cry:

Carolyn, I wonder if it's your VPN / firewall ? Maybe it's because rackspacecloud.com is blocked ? That's apparently where the pics on SP are coming from ..
rhyang

Postby Montana Matt » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:02 pm

Ok, I decided to go ahead and reupload all of the image files with the capitalized extension JPG and send the proper header information this time. But I'm only doing this for the original photos, not the large, medium, small, square or thumb. I figure most people only look at the original anyway and hopefully RackSpace will have a solution soon so that I can change all of the other sizes without having to reupload them.

Once this reupload process is done, all of the JPG files will render in FireFox (just like the jpg files do currently).
squishy wrote:has anyone suggested delete cookies, cache and resetting web settings to default yet?

I don't think so. That's probably a good first step for you Carolyn.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby WouterB » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:14 pm

Have been experiencing most of the above problems for the last couple of days.
WouterB

Postby Dragger » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:25 pm

rhyang wrote:Carolyn, I wonder if it's your VPN / firewall ? Maybe it's because rackspacecloud.com is blocked ? That's apparently where the pics on SP are coming from ..

:cry: You may be right Rob -- when I try to access that site directly I get this message:

"The Websense category "Web Hosting" is filtered."
Dragger

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback