Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

SP images being hosted by new server

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.

I noticed this yesterday!

Postby silversummit » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:22 pm

And now sometimes when I click on a picture to enlarge it after thumbnail view, I get a request asking how I want to open each jpeg (Picasa etc.). Some pictures enlarge fine but others bring up that message. I didn't explain that very well....

I'm using the latest Firefox.

Something has very definitely changed since early yesterday!
silversummit

Postby MoapaPk » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:31 pm

I use Firefox also, but this auto-opening menu for jpegs doesn't happen outside SP. I don't really understand it; all modern browsers know how to display jpegs directly.
MoapaPk

Re: SP images being hosted by new server

Postby Montana Matt » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:33 pm

MikeTX wrote:What's http://c0278592.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com? Is this permanent or temporary? Just curious.

The images are permanently hosted on a new server, but the name will hopefully change soon to something like images.summitpost.org (once the RackSpace Cloud allows CNAMEs).

silversummit wrote:And now sometimes when I click on a picture to enlarge it after thumbnail view, I get a request asking how I want to open each jpeg (Picasa etc.). Some pictures enlarge fine but others bring up that message. I didn't explain that very well....

I'm using the latest Firefox.

Something has very definitely changed since early yesterday!

Yes, I've noticed this as well when using Firefox. I'm not sure why sometimes it opens in the browser and sometimes it opens the image on your local machine. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to it.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby butitsadryheat » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:23 pm

I am seeing the dreaded red X, and some of the photos are not showing up on my profile at all. Simply white squares. All of the title and description info appears, but not the photos themselves.

Strange
butitsadryheat

Postby Montana Matt » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:32 pm

butitsadryheat wrote:I am seeing the dreaded red X, and some of the photos are not showing up on my profile at all. Simply white squares. All of the title and description info appears, but not the photos themselves.

Strange

Hmmm, which photos exactly? Looking at your profile, all of the images on your profile page show (the squares) and I went through some of the image pages and they all showed for me.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby MoapaPk » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:37 pm

butitsadryheat wrote:I am seeing the dreaded red X, and some of the photos are not showing up on my profile at all. Simply white squares. All of the title and description info appears, but not the photos themselves.

I've seen this with every browser I've used, when the connection to the server is poor and there are fits and starts in loading.
MoapaPk

Postby silversummit » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:45 pm

Montana Matt wrote:

Strange

Hmmm, which photos exactly? Looking at your profile, all of the images on your profile page show (the squares) and I went through some of the image pages and they all showed for me.

This happened to me at work yesterday morning with my profile picture using IE. I'm at home today using Firefox.
silversummit

Postby butitsadryheat » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:33 pm

Montana Matt wrote:

Strange

seems to be working now. That was weird. It was at work, so maybe I had other issues. Thanks Matt
butitsadryheat

Postby brenta » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:53 am

I've only run a handful of tests (with Firefox), but it seems to be related to the extension of the image file: .jpg is good and .JPG is bad.
brenta

Postby mvs » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:44 am

Can we be told whats going on and why? It sounds interesting, is there a little blurb in another thread about the nature of the change?

Anyway, best of luck getting it all working!
mvs

Postby kamil » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:26 am

brenta wrote:I've only run a handful of tests (with Firefox), but it seems to be related to the extension of the image file: .jpg is good and .JPG is bad.

I've had this problem when writing one of my pages, heard this explanation too, but some of my pics were visible only with .jpg and some others only with .JPG, couldn't work it out.

silversummit wrote:And now sometimes when I click on a picture to enlarge it after thumbnail view, I get a request asking how I want to open each jpeg (Picasa etc.). Some pictures enlarge fine but others bring up that message. I didn't explain that very well....

Yeah that's quite common and I find it quite annoying... anyway, don't wanna sound uptight, so take your time Matt and thanks for your good work :)
kamil

Postby gabriele » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:01 pm

a new little problem ...
if I click on the photo, in a photo page, to see the original :
in some cases the original photo come out
in some others I get the photo file downloaded to my computer
gabriele

Postby MoapaPk » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:22 pm

brenta wrote:I've only run a handful of tests (with Firefox), but it seems to be related to the extension of the image file: .jpg is good and .JPG is bad.

Thanks, I just repeated that with my SP-hosted images, and that's exactly what I got, in about 10 trials. Puzzling; I would think the client-side app decides if an image will be displayed in browser window. My browser displays local images correctly whether they are JPG or jpg.

I can't see why it would make a difference (even knowing that the server OS is case-sensitive), but maybe the server folks need to associate both jpg and JPG with images.
MoapaPk

Postby Dragger » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:12 pm

Strange

This is happening to me as well. Strangely, if I use Craig's computer it's fine -- only on mine cannot seem to load the images. We are both running XP with IE.
Dragger

Next

Return to Site Feedback