Spring ski tours out of Squaw

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
schmitied

Spring ski tours out of Squaw

by schmitied » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:12 pm

Hey folks, I am going to be at a conference at the Resort at Squaw Creek next week. I am from Boulder and was hoping to bring my AT setup out to fill up some "spare" time. I now you guys had a good snow year, but it is getting warm. Is it worth bringing my skis out? I will most likely not be renting a car either. I'm looking for suggestions for half day tours primarily. I'm most interested in seeing a bit of the area and getting my first taste of the sierras. Quality of snow and turns are secondary. Anyways, any advice is appreciated!

granjero

Re: Spring ski tours out of Squaw

by granjero » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:00 am

There are fantastic opportunities for ski tours right out of Squaw's parking lot. Not to mention a zillion other easily accessible places by bus and bike (just rent one from the The Backcountry and take the lake by storm!) The warm day/cool nights allow for the formation of our spectacular corn. Bring your skis, or you will be disappointed!
Here's a great place to start getting ideas for tours:
http://www.thebackcountry.net/guidebook.html

rlshattuck

by rlshattuck » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:23 am

This might just get you in the mood . . .

http://www.sierrajournal.com/2011/04/18 ... -traverse/

and I'm sure it might be cheaper to fly your gear out, but there is this:

http://www.thebackcountry.net/rentals_skiing.html

check out their message board for partners . . .

then enjoy . . . claim amnesia once you get to squaw, "conference, what conference? "

schmitied

by schmitied » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:38 pm

In colorado, we have a lot of issues with private land (ie avoid it or risk getting shot). Is that similar in Squaw Valley? Are there specific trailheads to leave from?

granjero

by granjero » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:19 pm

Not really any major private land issues beyond the don't tour on Squaw Valley resort land rule (and if you pass through houses be nice and people are generally pretty cool). Just going up out of the north side of the parking lot gives you access to Silver Peak (great E and S facing corn, possibility for N facing colder snow). A few other good places to find partners is also on telemarktips.com and tetongravity.com via their forums.
As far as being shot at, in Nevada, we shoot back! Nothin like touring with an AR15 with a scope! GET TO THA CHOPPA!!!! LOL :p

Return to California