Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

SPv3 formatting problems

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.

Re: SPv3 formatting problems

Postby chugach mtn boy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Bubba Suess wrote:All images are currently missing their text box and are automatically aligned left. I checked the edit section and they are still set up to align right or center when appropriate but on the main page, they all still align left.

Same true of all of my pages. I went to quite a bit of trouble to reformat them when v.3 came out, and although they weren't ideal in some cases, they were ok again. Now they are a mess because almost everything aligns left.

This isn't a problem of me having copied some bad code somewhere that now no longer works. Most of the code that is not working is code SP's own edit tool laid down--simple align instructions for standard size images.
chugach mtn boy

Postby chugach mtn boy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:32 pm

Likewise on Chad's new Whitney-Bolam page, his formatting is broken:

http://www.summitpost.org/whitney-bolam-ridge/834869
chugach mtn boy

Postby mrchad9 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:36 pm

Matt something happened overnight. Lost the borders around photos and the alignment as folks have mentioned.

Need to go back to yesterday's code!
mrchad9

Postby rgg » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:42 pm

Bubba Suess wrote:All images are currently missing their text box and are automatically aligned left. I checked the edit section and they are still set up to align right or center when appropriate but on the main page, they all still align left.

I had a look at the Thousand Lakes Wilderness and Eiler Butte pages and they look fine to me.

Fred Spicker wrote:Not just images without text - on my pages all images are aligned left regardless of what they are intended to be.

Also, none have the text next to them as originally formatted - this results in a bunch of ugly empty white space.

For example see: http://www.summitpost.org/eiger/150228

The images on the Eiger page look fine from my end. That is, most have the new border, and some are on the right. However, and that doesn't have anything to do with the recent transition to SPv3, it looks like there are also images still displayed in the pre-SPv2 style!

chugach mtn boy wrote:Likewise on Chad's new Whitney-Bolam page, his formatting is broken:

http://www.summitpost.org/whitney-bolam-ridge/834869

Again, the Whitney-Bolam page looks fine on my end.

mrchad9 wrote:Matt something happened overnight. Lost the borders around photos and the alignment as folks have mentioned.

Need to go back to yesterday's code!

In response to all of the above: I had the same when I logged on today, but the solution is easy: clear the cache of your browser (yes, again)! As Josh explained earlier in this thread in response to Bubba, the CSS was changed, and apparently it's been changed again since then. I reckon it's probably not a bad idea to clear the cache frequently over the next days to be sure to have the most recent SummitPost styles.
rgg

Postby chugach mtn boy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:22 pm

rgg wrote:In response to all of the above: I had the same when I logged on today, but the solution is easy: clear the cache of your browser (yes, again)! As Josh explained earlier in this thread in response to Bubba, the CSS was changed, and apparently it's been changed again since then. I reckon it's probably not a bad idea to clear the cache frequently over the next days to be sure to have the most recent SummitPost styles.

A limited cache-clearing (last 4 weeks only) got everything formatting correctly again for me. So thanks! Dumb question, though: for the readership generally (who do not clear their caches), how long till they start seeing the pages in correct format?
chugach mtn boy

Postby Fred Spicker » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:39 pm

Cleared my cache and all is OK - thanks
Fred Spicker

Postby rgg » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:49 pm

chugach mtn boy wrote:A limited cache-clearing (last 4 weeks only) got everything formatting correctly again for me. So thanks! Dumb question, though: for the readership generally (who do not clear their caches), how long till they start seeing the pages in correct format?

I don't know for sure, but I presume that everybody should clear the cache at some point to see it properly. SummitPost is not unique, other sites change over time as well and that may require clearing the cache as well. I'm used to doing that regularly; it does no harm.

Since I expect more (probably small) changes in the SummitPost style sheet in the near future, I'll just clear my cache daily.
rgg

Postby Montana Matt » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:16 pm

EVERYONE WHO IS SEEING PROBLEMS WITH THE ALIGNMENT OF IMAGES, HIT THE F5 BUTTON ON YOUR KEYBOARD
rgg wrote:Since I expect more (probably small) changes in the SummitPost style sheet in the near future, I'll just clear my cache daily.

Next time I'll just change the name of the CSS file so that it is pulled down fresh instead of using the cached version.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby chugach mtn boy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:35 pm

Montana Matt wrote:EVERYONE WHO IS SEEING PROBLEMS WITH THE ALIGNMENT OF IMAGES, HIT THE F5 BUTTON ON YOUR KEYBOARD

I suggest running this as a banner on top of the main page for a day or two.
chugach mtn boy

Postby Montana Matt » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:15 pm

chugach mtn boy wrote:I suggest running this as a banner on top of the main page for a day or two.

I'll just change the css file name...
Montana Matt
Site Admin

The following user would like to thank Montana Matt for this post
chugach mtn boy, rgg

Postby Josh Lewis » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:33 pm

The image class name was already changed yesterday morning which I knew that would break stuff. So I decided that "we might as well go all the way" and have a good name associated with the class (the class name is "image"). This in turn makes it easier for manual placements of panoramas. The small price was this period of inconvenience which only applies to those who recently viewed SummitPost (the last few days). I expect this to be the last major CSS change for a long time (this already happened). There are still additions that need to be made, but they all are minor and should not have such a big impact as changing the class name.

One might argue "but Josh, the people who made panoramas back in the day had a class of 'thumb' which will break". True, but the format was changed to a DIV, so even if the class was not renamed it would break. However, Matt could easily add backwards compatibility code. That depends on how much folks want it, how much stuff breaks, and whether or not that should be considered "more clutter in the CSS code. Personally I'd be fine with it.
Josh Lewis

Location: Lynnwood, Washington, The Cloudiest Place on Earth, United States

Postby mrchad9 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:35 pm

That is a bigger inconvenience no?
mrchad9

Postby mrchad9 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:01 pm

Catamount wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:That is a bigger inconvenience no?

Given that there are less than 1,000 views of this thread and many of those are repeat visitors, it would seem that many people are likely experiencing the formatting problems described above and have no idea why. I would think the goal would be a seamless transition even if it meant the site being down for a few hours.

People are about to have a better idea as to why things are changing, and what to do if they have issues. Not too long from now.
mrchad9

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback