Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

SPv3 formatting problems

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.

Re: SPv3 formatting problems

Postby Josh Lewis » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:34 pm

Catamount wrote:Wouldn't it be normal practice to take the site down during such a maintenance period?

If Matt did this, SP would have been shut down many times this last week. :lol: Lots of small corrections where made even when the site went live. Even this morning the captions no longer have the links underlined so that it looks better. Don't worry, normal links still have the underline.

BTW - Shutting down SP would have done nothing to stop this issue, as Matt mentioned somewhere else changing the name of the style sheet would have fixed this. Here's a simple way to think of it, a piece of data on your computer is telling SP to work a certain way (format) and now it doesn't know what to do with images inside of the "image" class. :wink: But as I said, this should be the last major change. Everything else should be minor fixes. :) So I wouldn't expect this issue to happen for a few more years... hopefully never again.
My Websites: Alpine Josh · Alpine Ascent · AceMaps
Josh Lewis

Location: Lynnwood, Washington, The Cloudiest Place on Earth, United States

The following user would like to thank Josh Lewis for this post
Catamount

Postby Montana Matt » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:17 am

Josh Lewis wrote:One might argue "but Josh, the people who made panoramas back in the day had a class of 'thumb' which will break". True, but the format was changed to a DIV, so even if the class was not renamed it would break.

I didn't change nor delete the old classes. I only added new ones that Josh requested. So old code with still work. Nothing will be broken with this change.
Catamount wrote:23,000 unique visitors in the last 24 hours. That's a lot of folks to be potentially inconvenienced. Wouldn't it be normal practice to take the site down during such a maintenance period?

Of those 23,000, only a VERY small fraction had actually visited the site in the last day and had a cached version of the previous CSS file. Likely only registered SP members were seeing pages with incorrect formatting. Of those 23,000, I'd guess fewer than 300 people actually saw broken formatting on pages.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

The following user would like to thank Montana Matt for this post
Catamount

Postby Josh Lewis » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:31 am

When the transition was made (before I requested the name change) the tables with the thumb class were broken. My panorama's as seen on this page broke: http://www.summitpost.org/mount-logan/154947
I don't mind fixing this, but it's a fact of life. This had to do with the fact that we swapped from tables to DIVs.

So look inside this file:
http://www.summitpost.org/site/css/main-minified.css
Type control + F which should bring up the search. Type "table.thumb" which you'll get a few results. But you will see that there is nothing in the code telling it to add padding nor to center the text for tables with the class "thumb".
Josh Lewis

Postby Brian C » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:58 pm

So I've been trying to figure this out. Now if I use the standard SP "insert image" tab and put 2 photos next to each other using the align:center:medium setting it requires side-to-side scrolling. I don't remember this being an issue before. Is there a way to have this work without going into move complicated code on the photos to reduce their size?
Brian C

Postby Josh Lewis » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:13 pm

I'm guessing this is caused by padding. What's your screen resolution? I might have a solution for you.
Josh Lewis

Postby Brian C » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:30 pm

1280x1024
Brian C

Postby Scott » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:40 am

I added a few route pages today and am getting some weird stuff when using "Find Image" under the "Primary Image ID". Entering the photo id works fine, but using the Find Image sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Even when it works, a huge secondary screen pops up and you have to look for where to add the id.

I'm not sure if it is just me or if others are having the same problem (maybe give it a test).
Scott

Postby Josh Lewis » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:14 am

Scott, are you still having these issues? The insert button will change coming up (at least how it works in some regards).
Josh Lewis

Postby Montana Matt » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:55 pm

Scott wrote:I added a few route pages today and am getting some weird stuff when using "Find Image" under the "Primary Image ID". Entering the photo id works fine, but using the Find Image sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Even when it works, a huge secondary screen pops up and you have to look for where to add the id.

Ah, that's my fault. I stomped on the code a bit with the upcoming new editor interface code. Will fix it soon...
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby Montana Matt » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:09 pm

Scott, I misread your post before and thought you were having problems with the inline image insertion, not the "Find Image" under the "Primary Image ID". I can't seem to find anything that would be causing a problem with that interface.

Can you explain a bit more, including the browser you're using. A screenshot would help as well.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:33 pm

Matt, after playing with it a bit, it works with Internet Explorer. It appears not to work with Google Chrome.

When I click on "Find Image" under "Primary Image ID", here's what I get under Google Chrome:
Attachments
Test Google Chrome.JPG
Test Google Chrome.JPG (88.23 KiB) Viewed 695 times
Scott

Postby Bob Sihler » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:12 pm

I get the same problem in Chrome. It's solved by scrolling down and then back up, in which case the correct field appears where it should, but it's annoying.
Bob's Law: The rationality of a person is inversely proportional to the number of political and religious bumper stickers on his car. Around bumper-sticker warriors, smile, speak calmly, and get the hell away as fast as possible.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Postby Montana Matt » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Thanks for the details. I don't know why all of the sudden this was happening (probably something added to the CSS in the upgrade), but I went ahead and got rid of the shading and that fixed it. It's not as "pretty" as it was before, but it's functional.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby Josh Lewis » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:06 pm

Matt, if you send me the CSS code that you removed to fix this issue I could probably figure out a way to properly reinstate it to make it look better without causing issues. :)
Josh Lewis

Previous

Return to Site Feedback