Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Re: STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Postby GEM Trail » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:34 am

Great job! I am honored to share a highpoint with you in Illinois last Saturday. Those great grandkids should be proud!
GEM Trail

Postby GEM Trail » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:35 pm

Sad to admit, but I realize that since starting this thread my daughter and I have only climbed two state highpoints together. Pathetic!

But next week we are heading out onto the trail of Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and maybe more. If anyone has thoughts on the above highpoints, wants to share a story or a neat place in the vicinity, I'm all ears! Especially up by Lake Superior as that's where the cool hills will be this trip.
GEM Trail

Postby mlandau3 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:39 pm

You might try Betty's Pies (http://www.bettyspies.com/) for some good cooking.
mlandau3

Postby jdzaharia » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:14 pm

A visit I would recommend to anybody planning to be on Superior's North Shore is a visit to Judge Magney State Park, just east of Grand Marais, Minnesota. You could spend a couple hours or a couple days there. But, the hike to Devil's Kettle is a must. http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/ ... index.html

A trip up the Gunflint Trail (Cook County Road 12) would be neat. The hike to Magnetic Rock is nice, and the rock itself is quite interesting. A hike up Honeymoon Bluff gives a scenic view. Check out this little guide: http://www.gunflint-trail.com/wp-conten ... g_2011.pdf

One good place to stop and have a bite to eat, or a little local nightlife would be the Trail Center Lodge. http://www.trailcenterlodge.com/
jdzaharia

Postby Bark Eater » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:15 pm

If you are driving between Campbell Hill and Hoosier Hill there is a wonderful old-fashioned burger drive-in joint in Greenville, OH that I think is "Jim's". Straight out of the 50's, incredibly quaint and fun. A welcome break from the chains.
Bark Eater

Postby elichten » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:34 pm

I attempted Denali starting on May 19. I am now off Denali. I did not summit.

I reached a narrow ridge at 16200', thought about my pregnant wife, and decided to head home. No regrets, it was an epic trip.

I'm proud to say that physically and skills wise I was up to the challenge. Mentally my mind was at home. It was a hard choice, but the right one.

I'll get pictures and trip report together when I get a chance. My next adventure is moving to Switzerland August 1, which will put a damper on my US highpointing but I'm sure I'll find something to climb there. :D
elichten

Postby Bark Eater » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:49 pm

Glad you are OK, Eric and sorry you did not summit. I read of a fall and death on Denali during your trip and while saddened by any death was relieved to see that the description didn't fit you. Wow, Switzerland will be quite the adventure for you and your wife!

Off to Rainier (2nd try - long story) next week. Wish me luck!
Bark Eater

Postby GEM Trail » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:38 pm

Congratulations elichten on a sober decision. It is tough to turn away from a summit. But you will be around for your wife and child, which is more important. I hope you get another chance.

Thanks to all with trip suggestions. I am planning to hit the pie shop mentioned, the burger joint, and hike one of the trails suggested. Will report back! If anyone else has some ideas we are very interested.
GEM Trail

Postby sm0421 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:19 am

http://www.mtritter.org/highpoints/Konvention_2012/

photos from facebook update. Is that Don Holmes, author of the 50 state highpoint guide in the 50-completer photo? (lower-right)
sm0421

Postby Holsti97 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:50 am

Yes that is Don Holmes. Don is a very friendly guy and always is the MC of the Saturday night banquet. I had him autograph my copy of his guide book at a previous convention. The author of the other HP guidebook Charlie Winger is in the back middle under the sign. SP member Dennis Poulin is standing under the "Klimbin" on the sign. Holsti97 is in the 48-49 completers photo in the front middle in a brown shirt. Guidebook author and SP member winglady is under the logo on the sign. SP member dalescout is standing under the word "Keep" on the sign.

About 25-40 Highpointers had plans to climb Mount Hood while attending the convention. Due to crappy weather and avalanche danger only a few made the summit. We had permits to climb Mount Saint Helens, but did not attempt it due to heavy rain that day.

My wife and I and son Ryan had a great week in Oregon. We hiked Silver
Falls, the Columbia River Gorge, went on the Portland Brew Tour, shopped at
Powell's Bookstore, visited Mount Saint Helens, climbed the county
highpoints of Clatsop & Washington counties with Bob Bolton, and hiked the Smith Rocks
area.

I thought that the Arthur Marshall presentation by Kenyon Rainier
Stebbins was fantastic. Imagine trying to do state highpoints by train,
hitchhiking, and with very little beta (no Summitpost or guidebooks).
http://blog.oregonlive.com/terryrichard ... igh_p.html

sm0421 wrote:http://www.mtritter.org/highpoints/Konvention_2012/

photos from facebook update. Is that Don Holmes, author of the 50 state highpoint guide in the 50-completer photo? (lower-right)
Holsti97

Postby JohnMcPike » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:08 am

It was great to meet you in person Holsti97. We showed up to Mt. Mansfield in '95 when they were holding the convention but didn't attend the banquet. This was our first official attendance to one. Glad to meet so many folks in person
JohnMcPike

Postby GEM Trail » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:22 am

New Highpoint Names

It occurred to us while climbing Charles Mound that some highpoints have woefully inadequate names. Yes, the tops of Illinois and Delaware are tiny, maybe they aren't really mountains, but as state highpoints they deserve better names.

Many states with wimpy highpoints could really bring some tourism to their states by emphasizing their highpoints. Grander names would sure help.

So as we are climbing Charles Mound, pretending it is a Himalayan peak, when we decided to give it a grander name.

And we thought: why not call it Snowy Peak? It is near Illinois' biggest ski slope, in the northernmost part of the state, and as a highpoint is probably one of the snowier parts of the state.

So the top of Illinois we decided could be Snowy Peak.

The next week, on the way to Campbell Hill, we saw signs for a business called Glacier Ridge. And we thought: Campbell Hill can be Glacier Ridge!

Later that day, when we summited one of the most modest of all state highpoints, we came up with the most improbably name yet. Hoosier Hill can be called.... Avalanche Spire.

So far we have:
Charles Mound = Snowy Peak
Campbell Hill = Glacier Ridge
Hoosier Hill = Avalanche Spire

Don't know if anyone else wants to join in the fun, but other nothing peaks are just crying out for tougher names. Like those pocket dogs they call "Killer"!
GEM Trail

Postby Castlereagh » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:51 am

GEM Trail wrote:New Highpoint Names

It occurred to us while climbing Charles Mound that some highpoints have woefully inadequate names. Yes, the tops of Illinois and Delaware are tiny, maybe they aren't really mountains, but as state highpoints they deserve better names.

Many states with wimpy highpoints could really bring some tourism to their states by emphasizing their highpoints. Grander names would sure help.

So as we are climbing Charles Mound, pretending it is a Himalayan peak, when we decided to give it a grander name.

And we thought: why not call it Snowy Peak? It is near Illinois' biggest ski slope, in the northernmost part of the state, and as a highpoint is probably one of the snowier parts of the state.

So the top of Illinois we decided could be Snowy Peak.

The next week, on the way to Campbell Hill, we saw signs for a business called Glacier Ridge. And we thought: Campbell Hill can be Glacier Ridge!

Later that day, when we summited one of the most modest of all state highpoints, we came up with the most improbably name yet. Hoosier Hill can be called.... Avalanche Spire.

So far we have:
Charles Mound = Snowy Peak
Campbell Hill = Glacier Ridge
Hoosier Hill = Avalanche Spire

Don't know if anyone else wants to join in the fun, but other nothing peaks are just crying out for tougher names. Like those pocket dogs they call "Killer"!

Since Jerimoth used to be rated as "difficult" as Denali, perhaps it could be Denali - SE Summit?
Castlereagh

Postby Tracy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:00 am

Florida Frank wrote:Off to Rainier (2nd try - long story) next week. Wish me luck!

I was on Rainier with two other state highpointers from here in the Vegas area June 12th to the 14th. Were you (Florida Frank) on the mountain then?

We met an attendee (solo hiker) from the state highpointers convention who had just summited Hood and passed us while hiking up to Camp Muir on the 12th. He asked us if we were willing to take on another rope partner for the next day (the 13th) but we were hoping for a better weather window on the 14th. The solo hiker was an attorney who had graduated from UNLV and is currently building a home in Montana - forgot to ask him if he was a summitpost member. He headed back down to Paradise on the morning of the 13th after one of the rangers at Camp Muir had a conversation with him on the 12th. We were relieved to hear of that choice on several levels. The three of us in our group ended up summiting in very windy and very poor visibility (cloudy) summit conditions at 8:00 am on the 14th.

This was state highpoint number 34 for me and number 48 for the two guys I climbed Rainier with (they have Wyoming and Denali remaining). I've got plans for my home state highpoint on the 30th of this month and if things work out schedule-wise, I'll try to join my Rainier partners on Gannett in August.

Holsti97, glad to hear you had a great week in Oregon!
Tracy

PreviousNext

Return to General