STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Bark Eater

Re: STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

by Bark Eater » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:29 pm

sm0421 wrote:Frank, still have Gannett and Granite left, hope to summit Granite in August and Gannett in the next 2 years.

Alex and Joe: Nate, Andy, and I talked about the possibility of doing Gannett together next summer. Let's keep in touch!

Jow

by Jow » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:40 pm

Bark Eater wrote:
sm0421 wrote:Frank, still have Gannett and Granite left, hope to summit Granite in August and Gannett in the next 2 years.

Alex and Joe: Nate, Andy, and I talked about the possibility of doing Gannett together next summer. Let's keep in touch!

getting the gang back together would be pretty awesome :mrgreen:

The following user would like to thank Jow for this post
Bark Eater

Kai

by Kai » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:45 pm

I'm not a highpointer, but a friend and I are planning on climbing Gannett next week.

Hopefully, it will be fun.

The following user would like to thank Kai for this post
Bark Eater

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:32 pm

IagosGhost

by IagosGhost » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:47 pm

Bark Eater wrote:
IagosGhost wrote:My summer 2014 plans are Kings Peak, Utah on July18, and Mt. Elbert, Colorado on August 30. They will be HPs #10 and #11 for me. It's going to be fun!

Hotoven, Andy, and I successfully summitted Kings Peak on July 4th. A few short snow fields to cross...no big deal. The famed hordes of mosquitoes did not materialize. We did not find the short cut herd path along West Gunsight so dropped into the Painter Basin. Apparently we needed to go directly up from Gunsight Pass in order to get above the cliff band on the south side of the mountain. Painter made a longer day but was good to get off the ridge due to storms. Get to the top as early as possible. We hit the peak at 11:30 AM. By noon it was threatening to storm. Long but very enjoyable day trip.... 15 hours RT from trailhead. I was warned it would be very crowded due to the holiday...yet we only counted 13 (including ourselves) making a summit attempt. Most had set up base camp.
Lots of moose in the Henry's Fork Basin! #37 for me, #36 for Hotoven!

Congrats! I did not attempt Kings Peak. During week two of my training, I injured my left knee while doing weighted step-ups. It was a freak injury that the doc could not explain. I sprained my MCL and strained some tendons in my knee. My physical therapist said I could probably still do the climb, but that I would be very sore and wouldn't enjoy it. I erred on the side of caution. I'm almost fully recovered from it--done with PT--and I'm looking forward to Mt. Elbert in September.

The Peak Bagger Training Plan I bought from Moutain Athlete is really good but excessive on the step-ups. If you're not already used to that movement, it will aggravate any knee problems or weaknesses you already have. I had a good base of fitness, but not for 1000s of step ups.
R.I.P. 2LT Michael E. McGahan 1985-2010
"It's time to be immortal 'cause heroes never die!"

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:49 pm

Iagos, sorry you had to postpone your plans. Yeah, it's some times difficult to balance the right fitness level with the risk for injury in training. I used to train doing stadium steps years ago when I lived in Florida. Started out with a weighted pack....it was killing me so I just wound up moderating and jogging the steps without extra weight...still very effective! Glad you are recovering and have fun in Colorado!

sm0421

by sm0421 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:23 pm

summitted Granite Peak 8/10 via the SW route. Have Gannett left as my 48th.

The following user would like to thank sm0421 for this post
Alpinist, Bark Eater

Woodswalker

by Woodswalker » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:25 pm

Congrats, you're really knocking 'em off!

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:24 pm

Alex, congratulations. Read your conditions report in the other thread...thanks!

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:22 pm

Long time no post!

Finally at #25 didn't think it would take 5yrs but constant money struggles. Anyway I just did Mauna Kea yesterday. A perk of working at the airport. Apparently the summit is off limits. There is a sign now. I didn't see it say it online and still went up. A worker told me on the way down that it was new. The rock structure on the summit is an altar. It looks like a rock pile ontop of any other mountain. I didn't know and was standing and sitting on it. I apologized because I didn't know and didn't mean any disrespect. I gave respect to the mountain and island gods while up there. They should just put a sign saying its am altar and not to touch it.

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:25 pm

Bark Eater wrote:
IagosGhost wrote:My summer 2014 plans are Kings Peak, Utah on July18, and Mt. Elbert, Colorado on August 30. They will be HPs #10 and #11 for me. It's going to be fun!

Hotoven, Andy, and I successfully summitted Kings Peak on July 4th. A few short snow fields to cross...no big deal. The famed hordes of mosquitoes did not materialize. We did not find the short cut herd path along West Gunsight so dropped into the Painter Basin. Apparently we needed to go directly up from Gunsight Pass in order to get above the cliff band on the south side of the mountain. Painter made a longer day but was good to get off the ridge due to storms. Get to the top as early as possible. We hit the peak at 11:30 AM. By noon it was threatening to storm. Long but very enjoyable day trip.... 15 hours RT from trailhead. I was warned it would be very crowded due to the holiday...yet we only counted 13 (including ourselves) making a summit attempt. Most had set up base camp.
Lots of moose in the Henry's Fork Basin! #37 for me, #36 for Hotoven!

I did that on the 4th of July last year ha. Then hung out with everyone's fav SP mormon

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:06 pm

xDoogiex wrote:Long time no post!

Finally at #25 didn't think it would take 5yrs but constant money struggles. Anyway I just did Mauna Kea yesterday. A perk of working at the airport. Apparently the summit is off limits. There is a sign now. I didn't see it say it online and still went up. A worker told me on the way down that it was new. The rock structure on the summit is an altar. It looks like a rock pile ontop of any other mountain. I didn't know and was standing and sitting on it. I apologized because I didn't know and didn't mean any disrespect. I gave respect to the mountain and island gods while up there. They should just put a sign saying its am altar and not to touch it.

Way to go Doogie! You're half way there!

I don't see anything online that states the summit is closed. I believe that is public land. (It's a state park.). Personally, I wouldn't listen to anyone unless they were wearing a state park or police uniform.

http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/info/vis/visiting-mauna-kea/hiking.html

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:56 am

Thanks catamount. I work for Skywest airlines now at the Denver airport. Pay sucks but flying for free deff helps ha. It's taken me 5yrs to get halfway. Almost there. I've been doing a lot of 14ers currently too

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:08 am

I guess it's new

The following user would like to thank xDoogiex for this post
Bark Eater

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:26 pm

xDoogiex wrote:I guess it's new

Thanks, Doogie. I cross-referenced this discussion on the Highpointers Facebook page to try to get some better definition of the issue. Nice to hear from you!

PreviousNext

Return to General