Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
 

Re: STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Postby sm0421 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:23 pm

summitted Granite Peak 8/10 via the SW route. Have Gannett left as my 48th.

Image
User Avatar
sm0421

 
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: New York, New York, United States
Thanked: 31 times in 21 posts

The following user would like to thank sm0421 for this post
Alpinist, Bark Eater, Catamount

Re: STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Postby Woodswalker » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:25 pm

Congrats, you're really knocking 'em off!
User Avatar
Woodswalker

 
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:29 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Thanked: 33 times in 26 posts

Re: STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Postby Bark Eater » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:24 pm

Alex, congratulations. Read your conditions report in the other thread...thanks!
User Avatar
Bark Eater

 
Posts: 364
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:04 pm
Location: Wilmington, Delaware, United States
Thanked: 62 times in 54 posts

Re: STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Postby xDoogiex » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:22 pm

Long time no post!

Finally at #25 didn't think it would take 5yrs but constant money struggles. Anyway I just did Mauna Kea yesterday. A perk of working at the airport. Apparently the summit is off limits. There is a sign now. I didn't see it say it online and still went up. A worker told me on the way down that it was new. The rock structure on the summit is an altar. It looks like a rock pile ontop of any other mountain. I didn't know and was standing and sitting on it. I apologized because I didn't know and didn't mean any disrespect. I gave respect to the mountain and island gods while up there. They should just put a sign saying its am altar and not to touch it.
User Avatar
xDoogiex

 
Posts: 1152
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Westminster , Colorado, United States
Thanked: 36 times in 16 posts

Re: STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Postby xDoogiex » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:25 pm

Bark Eater wrote:
IagosGhost wrote:My summer 2014 plans are Kings Peak, Utah on July18, and Mt. Elbert, Colorado on August 30. They will be HPs #10 and #11 for me. It's going to be fun!


Hotoven, Andy, and I successfully summitted Kings Peak on July 4th. A few short snow fields to cross...no big deal. The famed hordes of mosquitoes did not materialize. We did not find the short cut herd path along West Gunsight so dropped into the Painter Basin. Apparently we needed to go directly up from Gunsight Pass in order to get above the cliff band on the south side of the mountain. Painter made a longer day but was good to get off the ridge due to storms. Get to the top as early as possible. We hit the peak at 11:30 AM. By noon it was threatening to storm. Long but very enjoyable day trip.... 15 hours RT from trailhead. I was warned it would be very crowded due to the holiday...yet we only counted 13 (including ourselves) making a summit attempt. Most had set up base camp.
Lots of moose in the Henry's Fork Basin! #37 for me, #36 for Hotoven!



I did that on the 4th of July last year ha. Then hung out with everyone's fav SP mormon
User Avatar
xDoogiex

 
Posts: 1152
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Westminster , Colorado, United States
Thanked: 36 times in 16 posts

Re: STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Postby Alpinist » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:06 pm

xDoogiex wrote:Long time no post!

Finally at #25 didn't think it would take 5yrs but constant money struggles. Anyway I just did Mauna Kea yesterday. A perk of working at the airport. Apparently the summit is off limits. There is a sign now. I didn't see it say it online and still went up. A worker told me on the way down that it was new. The rock structure on the summit is an altar. It looks like a rock pile ontop of any other mountain. I didn't know and was standing and sitting on it. I apologized because I didn't know and didn't mean any disrespect. I gave respect to the mountain and island gods while up there. They should just put a sign saying its am altar and not to touch it.

Way to go Doogie! You're half way there!

I don't see anything online that states the summit is closed. I believe that is public land. (It's a state park.). Personally, I wouldn't listen to anyone unless they were wearing a state park or police uniform.

http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/info/vis/visiting-mauna-kea/hiking.html
User Avatar
Alpinist

 
Posts: 6005
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:21 pm
Location: Kildeer, Illinois, United States
Thanked: 665 times in 445 posts

Re: STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Postby Catamount » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:58 pm

Congrats to the young dudes on their milestones!

No doubt that highpointing is not for the poor. Kind of why MOST completers tend to be a little bit older. Takes a bit of expendable income to be running around the country on a mostly pointless scavenger hunt.

Keep up the good work. :)
User Avatar
Catamount

 
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:13 am
Location: Tech Valley, New York, United States
Thanked: 789 times in 509 posts

The following user would like to thank Catamount for this post
xDoogiex

Re: STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Postby xDoogiex » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:56 am

Thanks catamount. I work for Skywest airlines now at the Denver airport. Pay sucks but flying for free deff helps ha. It's taken me 5yrs to get halfway. Almost there. I've been doing a lot of 14ers currently too
User Avatar
xDoogiex

 
Posts: 1152
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Westminster , Colorado, United States
Thanked: 36 times in 16 posts

Re: STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Postby xDoogiex » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:08 am

I guess it's new

Image
User Avatar
xDoogiex

 
Posts: 1152
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Westminster , Colorado, United States
Thanked: 36 times in 16 posts

The following user would like to thank xDoogiex for this post
Bark Eater

Re: STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Postby Bark Eater » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:26 pm

xDoogiex wrote:I guess it's new

Image


Thanks, Doogie. I cross-referenced this discussion on the Highpointers Facebook page to try to get some better definition of the issue. Nice to hear from you!
User Avatar
Bark Eater

 
Posts: 364
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:04 pm
Location: Wilmington, Delaware, United States
Thanked: 62 times in 54 posts

Re: STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Postby Jow » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:47 pm

Bark Eater wrote:
Thanks, Doogie. I cross-referenced this discussion on the Highpointers Facebook page to try to get some better definition of the issue. Nice to hear from you!


This is concerning. Especially since I'm planning 10 year wedding anniversary trip here next fall. I wonder what prompted this?
User Avatar
Jow

 
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:53 pm
Location: New York, New York, United States
Thanked: 18 times in 16 posts

Re: STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Postby spiderman » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:50 pm

Anyone on Summitpost doing the state highpoint second lap list?... it gives us something to work on when the first lap is almost complete. My little boy and I have a bunch left in the northeast.

http://peakbagger.com/list.aspx?lid=41209&cid=6288

xDoogiex: let me know if you had interest in some 14ers. We live in the next town over and head up to the mountains almost every weekend.
User Avatar
spiderman

 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:47 am
Location: Louisville, Colorado, United States
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post

Re: STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Postby xDoogiex » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:34 pm

spiderman wrote:Anyone on Summitpost doing the state highpoint second lap list?... it gives us something to work on when the first lap is almost complete. My little boy and I have a bunch left in the northeast.

http://peakbagger.com/list.aspx?lid=41209&cid=6288

xDoogiex: let me know if you had interest in some 14ers. We live in the next town over and head up to the mountains almost every weekend.



Will do. I've never heard of that list. Looks sweet
User Avatar
xDoogiex

 
Posts: 1152
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Westminster , Colorado, United States
Thanked: 36 times in 16 posts

Re: STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Postby xDoogiex » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:37 pm

Jow wrote:
Bark Eater wrote:
Thanks, Doogie. I cross-referenced this discussion on the Highpointers Facebook page to try to get some better definition of the issue. Nice to hear from you!


This is concerning. Especially since I'm planning 10 year wedding anniversary trip here next fall. I wonder what prompted this?


They have a little rock structure that looks almost looks like a cairn or the usual rock structure on a peak but its apparently a sacred altar. People stand and sit on it like I did and maybe other stuff they found disrespectful. There is no way to have known it was suppose to be an altar. That's what a worker up there told me. When I was coming down more were going up to do it
User Avatar
xDoogiex

 
Posts: 1152
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Westminster , Colorado, United States
Thanked: 36 times in 16 posts

Re: STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Postby Alpinist » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:24 pm

xDoogiex wrote:I guess it's new

Image

Where is the sign located? Is that just below the summit or further down the mountain? You're suppose to hike the road the last 1/4 mile but the last short trail to the summit has been open in the past.

I'd fully support a sign that instructed people to stay on the trail and please don't disrespect the alter. As a climber and highpointer, obviously I don't care for restrictions that prohibit people from reaching a summit.
User Avatar
Alpinist

 
Posts: 6005
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:21 pm
Location: Kildeer, Illinois, United States
Thanked: 665 times in 445 posts

PreviousNext

Return to General

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.