Static Peak?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
BobSmith

Static Peak?

by BobSmith » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:22 pm

Bob Sihler was giving me some suggestions for a day-hike in the Tetons NP. I was leaning toward Amphitheater Lake and then some scrambling above it. He suggested either Paintbrush or Static Peak.

Here's the thing:

I have no technical climbing skills. I probably need to keep the scrambling at around Class III. I'm a pretty strong hiker, but I don't want to push too hard with too many miles in a day that will keep me from being able to savor the hike. But I also don't want to hang around the flatlands. Lots of elevation gain is okay.

Any suggestions appreciated. I'll be there in mid-August and I'm plotting out my hikes in Yellowstone/ Grand Tetons now.

builttospill

by builttospill » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:30 am

Amphitheater lake is nice and if you continue above it you do get some nice views, but I think I would opt for either Paintbrush (never done it) or Static Peak (done it) instead. Class III scrambling would also allow you to do the South Teton if you wanted, as an alternative.

I found the hike TO amphitheater Lake long and fairly boring by Teton standards. The hike to Static Peak is more engaging through Death Canyon for a little while, and I imagine Paintbrush Peak has a fairly quiet hike that would be pretty nice. I think the views from both of those peaks would rival what you would see above Amphitheater, if not surpass it.

Bruce S.

by Bruce S. » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:07 pm

You will definitely get a heapin' helpin' of altitude change going up to Amphitheater Lake.

The Paintbrush Divide loop (Paintbrush Canyon to Paintbrush Divide, down to Lake Solitude, North Fork of Cascase Canyon, back via Cascade Canyon to Jenny Lake, then finally back to String Lake via the N. shore of Jenny Lake) is a somewhat mellower day, in my opinion, with a lot of relatively flat going. But it is long.

Paintbrush Divide is actually a pretty exciting place. No real exposure, but when you're up there it just feels like some serious exposure is going to open up any second. You could have a little snow crossing or two up there even in mid-August. And the views looking up at the "back side" of Owen and the Grand are spectacular from the floor of Cascade Canyon. This is a fairly rigorous day at about 19 miles.

I have not done this part, but I know it is possible to bag Mt. Woodring from the area near Holly Lake on the Paintbrush Divide trail. IIRC it is class III at the most, maybe lower, check Ortenburger/Jackson. It would make for quite a damn burly day hike if you added in Woodring though. Plus there would definitely be some routefinding, which takes time; there is no trail. The views of Mt. Moran would be unique and spectacular from up there.

Based on your stated requirements I would have to say go with Amphitheater. But Paintbrush is a real Teton classic.

I have not gone up to Static Peak but have gone just a short ways up the trail into Death Canyon, above Phelps Lake, and (of course) it was very beautiful. Looks like this would be an easier day (much shorter, anyway) than Paintbrush.

If you are able to leave one or two days where you can be flexible and leave your plans somewhat open until you get out there, at least consider talking to a ranger and trying what they suggest. In my experience they are more than happy to spend a few minutes with you to discuss your interests and abilities and then make some suggestions. I think they really enjoy talking to people who want to cover some distance and some verts. They spend a lot of their time talking to people who they can just tell are not going to go more than a few hundred yards.

Doublecabin

by Doublecabin » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:45 am

I'd go with Lake of the Crags in Hanging Canyon, my Avatar, especially on a weekday. It is exquisite. Steep but just 7 miles or so roundtrip. Ramshead is pretty darn incredible too. Lots of august and September Black Bears, just give 'em right of way, they've never bothered me on dayhikes up there. If that's not enough for one day do one of the great wildlife walks that evening. In the Gros Ventre Blue Miner Lake would be a long one but boy is she a beauty.

Static is fabulous but the Monster just keeps going. Jackson Peak in the Gros Ventre has great views and less elevation and 9 miles or so. Huckleberry Mt. is a great one too. Mt. Leidy is all to short but along with Huckleberry some of us will argue the best views of the Tetons.

Bob Sihler put together a marvelous SW Absaroka Page or whatever you call it here. The southern Wall is my backyard, and I love it much but heed your requirements just about every time. Peak 11, 040'+ ["Mt. Sublette, not to be confused with Sublette Peak" is only an hour or so from Jackson and has tremendous views of the Winds, Tetons, Gros Ventre, and far into the mighty Absaroka. Nice 7 mile loop or so with almost 2 of it on the crest of the Breccia Divide. I however reccomend you go a little farther East to the Bonneville Pass Trailhead near Brooks Lake. There are two REALLY special alpine hikes there. I put up some pics from those in September or early October here? This is early/mid July a couple of years ago. Could be pretty dry this year. I hike here a few times a season if you're at all interested. Otherwise have a wonderful trip and the people of NW Wyoming thank you for your vacation dollars.

John

aglane

Re: Static Peak?

by aglane » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:20 am

BobSmith wrote: I'm a pretty strong hiker, but I don't want to push too hard with too many miles in a day that will keep me from being able to savor the hike. But I also don't want to hang around the flatlands. Lots of elevation gain is okay.

Amphitheater is a great first hike in the Tetons, trail all the way, plenty of elevation. Grand views. (Can start directly from Climbers' Ranch, if you stay there.) Not a lot more than a half-day.

I find the hike toward Static relatively unrewarding, switch-backing through the trees. Might as well do Hunt Divide and see no one else all day.

East Face of Buck is a longish day, class 3 hiking/scrambling but nothing intimidating. Pretty fine views all the way from the first meadow after leaving the Valley Trail on up. Summit view may be one of the very best in the Tetons, certainly top rank for that sort of ascent. Saw my only wolverine up there looking down from high on the talus not far below the rock wall where face/ridge routes diverge.

BobSmith

by BobSmith » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:20 am

aglane wrote:East Face of Buck is a longish day, class 3 hiking/scrambling but nothing intimidating. Pretty fine views all the way from the first meadow after leaving the Valley Trail on up.

Well, intimidating is a relative term. All of my experience hiking and scrambling is in the east. I've done Katahdin's Knife Edge and some of the trails on Mount Washington, The Chimney's in the Smokies. About as close to Class III as I've gotten. This will be a new world to me.

I'm once again thinking of leaning toward Bob Sihler's advice and hiking to Paintbrush Peak.

BobSmith

by BobSmith » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:22 am

Doublecabin wrote: I hike here a few times a season if you're at all interested. Otherwise have a wonderful trip and the people of NW Wyoming thank you for your vacation dollars.

John

Thanks for the advice! I'll be out there in mid-August...we'll be done with Yellowstone and back in the Tetons around August 19-20. I'll let you know and maybe you can guide me around.

TomSellick

by TomSellick » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:48 pm

Hey Bob -

I will be working in GTNP all summer long (through Oct.), so if you'd like to share the trail with a fellow southeasterner, shoot me a PM. I've got my eyes on many of the peaks mentioned in this thread as well....

BobSmith

by BobSmith » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:56 pm

TomSellick wrote:Hey Bob -

I will be working in GTNP all summer long (through Oct.), so if you'd like to share the trail with a fellow southeasterner, shoot me a PM. I've got my eyes on many of the peaks mentioned in this thread as well....

That would be great! I'll let you know the exact dates and times as the trip draws near. We'll be in Yellowstone for most of the trip, then drive back down into the Tetons.

Bruce S.

by Bruce S. » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:21 am

BobSmith wrote:I'm once again thinking of leaning toward Bob Sihler's advice and hiking to Paintbrush Peak.

Just a clarification, there is no place called Paintbrush Peak. Paintbrush Divide is a pass, and not a summit.

Another suggestion, Delta Pond aka Delta Lake. It's a little pond just below the moraine of the Teton Glacier. You can look right up at the north face of the Grand and at Mt. Owen. Like a lot of really good trails in GTNP, the trail is not marked, and is not on USGS nor NPS maps. But it's a good trail. Locals will know it, Exum guides certainly know it, so the rangers would probably be able to tell you about it. Someone at the Ranch will probably know it as well.

Bruce S.

by Bruce S. » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:32 am

Bruce S. wrote:Just a clarification, there is no place called Paintbrush Peak.

Well, I just found Bob's page on that very place, as named by him, so I need to correct myself. I didn't find it in Ortenburger so assumed it did not exist. It sounds cool - readily accessible yet probably rarely visited. Sounds like a great objective.

Bruce S.

by Bruce S. » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:14 am

Bob's excellent "Paintbrush Peak" page mentioned the elevation, 11,270, which led me to "Peak 11,270" in Ortenburger/Jackson, pages 282-3. The description there matches the summit on Bob's page.

If you can do Paintbrush, you can certainly do Mt. Woodring from Holly Lake. What a day that would be. Woodring is less than 300' higher than Paintbrush, though. Paintbrush sounds like a pretty spectacular place for an "unnamed" summit. Of course, the Tetons are full of such places.

Whatever you decide, you'll have a great time. Enjoy.

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)