Staying in Huaraz Peru

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Harrison

Staying in Huaraz Peru

by Harrison » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:51 pm

I have been staying at the Albergue Churup, www.churup.com and really enjoy it. They have super clean well priced rooms. Its a great family run establishment. Jaun and his family make you feel right at home. If you are planing on climbing or treking here check in with them and they speak english and will take very good care of you.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:00 pm

I've stayed at Olaza's (http://www.andeanexplorer.com/olaza/index.htm) which is also great. Similar prices and similar location to the above.

pvalchev

by pvalchev » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:40 pm

Second Olaza's suggestion, Tito (the owner) is also really friendly and helpful, he has created a real family atmosphere too. The rooftop patio with free breakfast is spectacular, and best of all, he has (as of 2007) a total of 3 computers with internet that he allows guests to use, for free. For me, that was one of the greatest advantages on my days spent in town :) Zarela's across the street is good too, those 3 hotels are the most popular with climbers.

sdespins

Confusion and Bad Management at Albergue Churup

by sdespins » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:37 pm

I had been staying at Ablergue Churup in the bunk rooms for approx. a week in between visiting the mountains. I loved the place but last night, upon my return from Pisco, they did not have my bed even though I had a reservation. So they looked for what could appear to be an empty bed for me in one of the other dorm rooms and booked me there. After just about falling asleep, another client entered the room and said that I was sleeping in his bed! I demanded one of the private rooms after much discussion and did ultimately get a bed. The owners were quite nasty to me the next day as I left to find another place to stay.

This is not a single incident as the same thing happened to another climber the week earlier and I am now finding out it is quite common practice there. No help from the staff, especially the older parents. Clueless.

Apparently, they do not consider a reservation a reservation. Whenever someone walks in, they look for what appears to be an empy bed and book it! I also heard first hand that this happened for one of the private rooms.

Lesson: You can not depend on this place to keep your reservation and you may find yourself without a place to sleep after a long day climbing. Ok, it is S.A. but, as a repeat customer, I would expect to be treated better. Sad, as otherwise, I would recommend this B&B/hostel. :(

jack sparrow

by jack sparrow » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:23 pm

nice, just was a bout to reserve a room but hmm
change of plans. thanks for the heads up.

Nigel Lewis

Olazas double booked us.

by Nigel Lewis » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:40 pm

A gang of us stayed at Olazas in 2004 and really enjoyed it. Tito arranged transport to the trailhead, mules and a camp cook. All great.
HOWEVER
When we got back from the mountain, the rooms we had reserved had been given to someone else and we were farmed off to another place that was shite. Pity, because until that point they were really winning friends. Huaraz though, great place!!

N

Return to South America