Still winter here....

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
WouterB

Re: Still winter here....

by WouterB » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:19 pm

wOops

no avatar
Biglost

by Biglost » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:37 pm

Looks like with the changes, all the links were broken. :(

Like BIADH points out, those were some shots from last spring, April I think. April was a big month for huge snowfall totals, and some of the very best snowboarding I have ever experienced.

A couple from said month......

Me. Where's Waldo?

Tate...

Fast forward to current season. Hit Targhee several times before they opened. Hiked Peaked above the Sacajawea lift. wOw!

Did do some hiking in the Tetons and Lems recently, though no particular goals in mind for the trips. I just end up where I end up...

Tetons...

Now, for some sobering thoughts....I was witness to a death a few days ago. An accident. It happened so fast...in a second. Afterwards I was the only one who was able to do the "cleaning up". God, there was blood everywhere..........everywhere........ My dreams at night have turned to nightmares.

It could have very easily been me. Or even you...................

I have seen this before, my brother died in a similar fashion. Makes you think. Why? What if? How come? WHY? Why.........

All that and more.

Everything else seems so insignificant. Quarrels about stupid shit, seem ...... well...seem almost criminal. Do we have better things to do? Yes, yes we do. I know life goes on, but let us let go of the little shit, the shit that doesn't matter. The shit you will have forgotten about a week from now.....

Always do the right thing...you know what it is.....

Plan a ski trip. Take the wife and kids out to dinner. Move to a ski town. Move away from a ski town. Take up snowboarding. Plan a trip abroad. Fix that shit the wife asked you to do a year ago. Don't nag your husband about that shit you asked him to do a year ago. Get a dog. Volunteer your time for a worthy cause. Help someone that is down on their luck. Tell your loved ones that you love them......

Me? I am headed to the mountains every chance I get...taking the snowboard along.

You?

Now....I was told by some friends to get out and take some photos. I did. I went alone, to a lonely place. I parked my outfit, got out and walked for miles. It was cold, windy, and miserable. It made me feel better. Have a look.

The following user would like to thank Biglost for this post
Arthur Digbee, Bob Sihler, Carbo, Dave K, rhyang

Rob

by Rob » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:40 pm

Whoa!!

Those are beautiful photos...thanks for sharing.

RayMondo

by RayMondo » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:07 pm

UK gets slamdunked with snow. Northeastern side, plastered to a depth that I've only seen in Austria. Many cars not yet dug out. Consecutive night record lows. Altnahara -20C (-4F). An 80 year record. Time to break out with the huskies and Saint Bernards with accompanying brandy barrel. Real early winter this year. The ealier spell of polar / Siberian windflow was a good indicator. This is likely to be a Mega winter for all the Northern Hemishere.

Prepare your cars and carry plenty of emergency gear, food, water and heat source. Phones and chargers.
Consuming Tiger Parts Causes Impotence

no avatar
Biglost

by Biglost » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:54 pm

Yeee freekin' hawww! Shit I love winter.

Spent New Years eve camping....... a bit cold -15f outside, a comfy +35 inside...

Did I say I love winter? Well, I love winter. More snow please.....

There has been so much snow, incredible. The animals don't care for it, though they seem to be coping fine, at least so far. Took these shots within a mile of my home, though elk don't normally come down every year like this.

The deer...well they are everywhere....

The following user would like to thank Biglost for this post
Greg Enright, John Duffield

Greg Enright

by Greg Enright » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:31 am

Far out!

Your pics are great.

Dave Dinnell

by Dave Dinnell » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:52 am

Thanks for sharing some cool shit with us, Biglost!!!!111

no avatar
Biglost

by Biglost » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:35 pm

Greg Enright wrote:Far out! Your pics are great.

Thanks!

Dave Dinnell wrote:Thanks for sharing some cool shit with us, Biglost!!!!111

Thanks! Every now and again I get the urge to share some of the stuff I see and do here in Idaho. Not everyone appreciates this sort of stuff...but some do ...this is for them.

butitsadryheat wrote:+1. Great shots. Great place to live with all of that in your back yard.

Looks like the dog loves winter as much as you, Biglost.

I hope you've been able to corral the bad things in your dreams after witnessing that person die. That can stick with you for quite awhile.

I have been transferred to our other office while repairs and remodeling to the warehouse are being done. I am not reminded everyday of the accident now. It is a temporary thing, I will be sent back up there, but hopefully time will lessen the vivid memories.

The dog was a buddies who accompanied us. He did like the snow, but with no where near the excitement that my Charlie exhibits. She is a board biter though, and most times we have to leave her at home. I ran over her last year...she required stitches from the edge of my board slicing her leg. Didn't even faze her.....

She loves the snow, and water. Even in the winter...I can't really keep her out of it...

Going down like the Titanic!

Dexter says "Yeah, ain't happening."

Roxy...she is...well...she....is....uhhhh....shit I don't know.

Some more fun on the hill...

Some more elk...

A whitetail amongst the elk....looks like it got into some burrs...

Dean Lords.... what a great guy. Climber extraordinaire.

Heather Lords...school teacher, and climber... and great gal!

Have a look....
http://nopiste.blogspot.com/

http://deanlords.blogspot.com/

and mine....not as cool though.... 8)
http://biglostblog.blogspot.com/

It has been raining here, the snow up high is wet and heavy, dangerous at the moment. We have plans to do some BC next month. Hope the conditions improve by then. The idea is to build several igloos at a base camp, and do some skiing/ boarding over a couple of days. Tetons or Lemhi Range are the two areas we are looking at. I am leaning towards the Lems. My favorite mountain range, and for good reason. Almost no one ever goes there. Ever. Looking forward to it.

dskoon

by dskoon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:06 pm

I add to what others are saying, Biglost: Great photos. I especially love the igloo at night!
I, too, love ze winter! Love it. Wish I lived closer to the snow, though 1.5hr isn't too bad, but still, you know what I mean. I'm envious of your proximity to the white stuff, as well as that terrain. I'd be walking too. . .

Anyway, great stuff. And yes, walking out a ways can bring some peace to oneself. The Solace of Open Spaces.
Enjoy that BC skiing. I must look into the mountain range you mention. . . :wink:

Previous

Return to General