Stomach Muscles Cramping During Sit-Ups?

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
showlett

Stomach Muscles Cramping During Sit-Ups?

by showlett » Wed May 19, 2010 12:13 am

My stomach muscles sometimes cramp/lockup after doing a minimal amount of sit-ups. The muscles will tighten so badly that I have to lay flat and wait for them to relax before I can continue. I've done sit-ups my whole life and much more aggressively, but never had this problem until a couple of years ago, and it's not consistent. Could it be age, or something else? Someone suggested dehydration to me once, but I drink plenty of water.

ShortTimer

Re: Stomach Muscles Cramping During Sit-Ups?

by ShortTimer » Wed May 19, 2010 12:21 am

showlett wrote:My stomach muscles sometimes cramp/lockup after doing a minimal amount of sit-ups. The muscles will tighten so badly that I have to lay flat and wait for them to relax before I can continue. I've done sit-ups my whole life and much more aggressively, but never had this problem until a couple of years ago, and it's not consistent. Could it be age, or something else? Someone suggested dehydration to me once, but I drink plenty of water.

Potassium shortage? Try eating a banana a day for a couple weeks and see if this goes away.

ksolem

by ksolem » Wed May 19, 2010 7:31 pm

Muscle cramps can certainly be nutritional in origin, or due to dehydration.

Also, If you have been doing traditional sit ups and crunches for a long time you might consider refining your ab workouts by learning the Pilates "roll up," and it's relative exercises. One proper roll up is worth a half dozen sit ups, and it is better for your back as well.

I just looked for a while to find a utube or video of someone teaching a proper roll up to post a link, but I didn't find even one which is right. If you're interested, email me via my profile and I'll send you some good stuff selected out from some articles I've written.

showlett

by showlett » Wed May 19, 2010 8:09 pm

Thanks! I did some outside research and of course they say get plenty of electrolytes, potassium, and magnesium. Basically they don't know for sure, but a daily vitamin is recommended. There was one article that said don't do sit-ups after drinking caffeine or alcohol, and I had some coffee before doing the sit-ups.

I'll have to keep all these possible triggers in mind, and see if I can pinpoint it. It also seems worse post kid, which other female posters have said.

showlett

by showlett » Wed May 19, 2010 8:29 pm

Thanks! I did some outside research and of course they say get plenty of electrolytes, potassium, and magnesium. Basically they don't know for sure, but a daily vitamin is recommended. There was one article that said don't do sit-ups after drinking caffeine or alcohol, and I had some coffee before doing the sit-ups.

I'll have to keep all these possible triggers in mind, and see if I can pinpoint it. It also seems worse post kid, which other female posters have said.

ksolem

by ksolem » Wed May 19, 2010 11:19 pm

Adding the fact of a pregnacy brings questions to mind you should probably ask a professional.

Were you doing hard abs exercises during pregnancy, especially during the third trimester?

Is this when the pain started?

You probably should get a consult with a physical therapist with solid post natal and sports experience. I can suggest an excellent woman who works in Burbank.

Return to Technique and Training