Strenuous hikes in northern NJ

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
James_W

by James_W » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:11 pm

Catamount wrote:
James_W wrote:I just moved to BC, now ascent numbers are 6-7,000ft :/

What the highpoint of BC? :)

Congrats on your move. Hope you enjoy the new locale!

:) Hmm well Mount Fairweather (15,298ft) or Mount Waddington (13,176ft)

Dave Varga

by Dave Varga » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:23 am

I live about 15 minutes from the DWG and do the following twice a week; up Tammany on the Red Dot Trail, then follow the Kittatinny Ridge along a fire road, down the other side of the ridge on an old boyscout trail, back up and follow the ridge a bit more, bushwack down to Dunfield Creek, follow the Dunfield Creek and Farview Trails back up to the AT, along the AT to another fire road heading up an un-named hill, and back down to the parking lot. Total of 7 miles and 1900 ft of elevation gain in about 3 hours. PM me if you want to tag along one of these days.

jcoalter

Trails

by jcoalter » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:35 am

I agree with everyone who said Breakneck Ridge. That whole Hudson Highlands area has a lot of nice trails that can be as long or as short as you want. Bear Mountain (yeah, it's crowded, I know) and Beacon aren't bad. Breakneck has the best scrambles though.

In NJ, the Kittatinny area is nice. Again, not a whole of elevation, about the same as the highlands, but you can go for long day hikes. High Point, Sunrise Mountain etc.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:23 pm

If your looking to train for some alpine objectives, you should have done any of these hikes, but during the winter. The closer you are to the alpine experience, the better in shape you will be.

Previous

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)