Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Summitpost Bulk Uploader bug/feature request thread

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
 

Postby MoapaPk » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:49 pm

I agree DMT, that the general SP submission process is pretty arcane. I keep saying that I'll never submit another SP page, then I forget what a pain-in-the-@$$ it is, and discover all over again.

At least with the bulk uploader, I can get the photo titles and captions read from the jpg itself. I still have to put that info in the jpg, but it's a nice bit of documentation that stays with the photo file. At least I can see the photo while I put in the tags.

For the stuff you do, your practice of just embedding links in a message is fine with me.
User Avatar
MoapaPk

 
Posts: 7669
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 7:42 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Thanked: 761 times in 494 posts

Postby mvs » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:49 pm

DMT, Moapa, thanks guys for the validation. You don't know how much it does for me. Programmers ARE lazy, especially me, but you guys and the handful of other folks out there who use this tool give me a lot of energy.

Hey DMT, you keep talking about phpbb, where is this gold mine of trip reports you write so easily? I just wanna read them. Can you put me on your list? You have a way with words and I want to enjoy.

Also, here are some other things I can do and want to do:

* Enter a page id (mountain, tr, whatever) and get a text list of all the pictures attached ready to insert as images in a page, along with captions pulled from the image pages. Kind of like what you get after finishing a bulk upload, only "on demand."

* A great idea from DMT: enter your TR in bulletin board format (you know, [url] and [img] and all that kind of stuff) and I'll convert it to html...images included. Simply paste n' go).

--Michael
User Avatar
mvs

 
Posts: 1043
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2001 7:44 pm
Thanked: 282 times in 108 posts

Version 1.0.0.10 released

Postby mvs » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:50 pm

Version 1.0.0.10 of the Bulk Uploader is released. It has a fix for that annoying bug where you get a messagebox telling you that some images couldn't be uploaded. Even though they were.

I also added a log file to diagnose any other strange web errors that might occur.

As usual, you can get the Summitpost Bulk Uploader from the article page here.

Thanks all,
--Michael
User Avatar
mvs

 
Posts: 1043
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2001 7:44 pm
Thanked: 282 times in 108 posts

Postby mvs » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:12 am

FortMental wrote:Just to keep things in perspective....loading an image to a google site (assuming you have an account) is a far bigger pain in the ass than using the bulk uploader. MVS did what google couldn't!?


Thanks, but it depends on the site! Well Google owns Picasa, right? That has a bulk uploader. Flickr has a dozen bulk uploaders. Heck, you can even bulk upload to Facebook from Lightroom. In general there is a rich constellation of tools like that scattered around.
User Avatar
mvs

 
Posts: 1043
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2001 7:44 pm
Thanked: 282 times in 108 posts

Postby neghafi » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:30 pm

Thanks MVS
I guess you should be a programmer and so be familiar with open source programs.
Some guys here may not rely on a blackbox and putting their password to it.
I thought if possible to provide the source code so that people can compile it themselves it'd be much more better, specially you said this is not an official tool.
Just like other open source projects, other people may help to develop next generation of it, or port it to other platforms (*nix, mac, ...) or scripting languages (java, perl,...)

Anyway thanks for sharing and this is just a raw idea.

(hint: if anyone probably wants to be sure about password safety, can use a sand-box)
User Avatar
neghafi

 
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:42 am
Location: Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Postby WouterB » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:00 pm

Without the bulk uploader, I'd NEVER have come round to writing a trip report about my [url]=http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/573944/toubkal-10-11-2009.htmltoubkal trip[/url].
User Avatar
WouterB

 
Posts: 3135
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:54 pm
Location: Hayling Island, Hampshire, United Kingdom
Thanked: 13 times in 13 posts

Postby mvs » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:11 pm

Hi Neghafi,

For sure, I think I mentioned the open source idea somewhere earlier in the thread or on another thread. I dropped that idea (for now) just because the elves were very cautious of the technology being used to spam the site. So, I've plugged in various controls for them. For example, they can (simply by editing one page) ban a particular user from using the tool. They can (or I can) force an upgrade to patch a security hole.

As an open source tool, that minimal protection would be very easily set aside. Of course a motivated "hacker" could side-step things whether they have the source or not, but it shouldn't be incredibly easy for them.

Recently, the Elves have relaxed their earlier stance regarding this tool. For almost a year, it was kind of a "black market" tool anyway. But they saw that the world didn't come to an end, people are using it responsibly, and so it was okay to let the tool go on the front page. I appreciate their trust and understand why they move conservatively. Therefore, I wouldn't make the tool open source without serious consideration, in a way that allows them to preserve some of the protections currently programmed into the tool despite outside changes.

I'm looking into a Mac port via Silverlight, but it's just in the planning stages. Obviously, what the tool does isn't rocket science. In fact it started as a Python script that just took a day or two to make. So as a programmer yourself you could easily improve on it, even without the source.

All the best,
--Michael
Last edited by mvs on Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User Avatar
mvs

 
Posts: 1043
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2001 7:44 pm
Thanked: 282 times in 108 posts

Postby mvs » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:13 pm

WouterB wrote:Without the bulk uploader, I'd NEVER have come round to writing a trip report about my [url]=http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/573944/toubkal-10-11-2009.htmltoubkal trip[/url].


A nice report it is! (toubkal trip)
User Avatar
mvs

 
Posts: 1043
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2001 7:44 pm
Thanked: 282 times in 108 posts

Postby Gangolf Haub » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:52 am

Michael, I thought I'd give this tool another try, actually two.

First try: uploaded about 8 pics to the Roque de los Muchachos page. Seven got loaded, one - the 360° panorama - produced errors. Afterwards the SPBU crashed

Second try: Again some 8 photos, this time to be posted to the Hochalpenkopf page. The SPBU skipped all photos (perhaps my fault (wrong pw, wrong mountain id?)), then it crashed. Naturally all caption input was lost during the crash.

Why does it crash? I'm using Vista and the version I downloaded from the link on your article. Obviously you keep a kind of log - The SPBU always comes up with the last successfully uploaded pictures. Couldn't you use the ctrl-P and crtl-N keys to write to that log? That way a crash wouldn't eliminate all data.

Back to the old fashioned upload. Will be back in half a year ...
User Avatar
Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 8428
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:28 pm
Location: Mainz, Germany
Thanked: 545 times in 305 posts

Postby mvs » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:22 am

Gangolf Haub wrote:Michael, I thought I'd give this tool another try, actually two.

First try: uploaded about 8 pics to the Roque de los Muchachos page. Seven got loaded, one - the 360° panorama - produced errors. Afterwards the SPBU crashed

Second try: Again some 8 photos, this time to be posted to the Hochalpenkopf page. The SPBU skipped all photos (perhaps my fault (wrong pw, wrong mountain id?)), then it crashed. Naturally all caption input was lost during the crash.

Why does it crash? I'm using Vista and the version I downloaded from the link on your article. Obviously you keep a kind of log - The SPBU always comes up with the last successfully uploaded pictures. Couldn't you use the ctrl-P and crtl-N keys to write to that log? That way a crash wouldn't eliminate all data.

Back to the old fashioned upload. Will be back in half a year ...


Okay, I'm sorry to hear about your poor results. This thing of trying and then going away for 6 months doesn't help me much though. What I would need from you in order to fix it is to work with me. For example, I could give you a special version that would log the error in greater detail, then fix the bug. In the past some others had trouble with the program. We worked together for an evening or two and fixed it. I'd be happy to do the same with you over a PM/mail conversation?

Your cntrl-P idea is a good idea. Normally I only write the saved data on program exit. I agree it's painful to lose your captions, I'll add that to the feature list.

Again, I recognize the program is not for everyone, that the benefit seems marginal in certain cases, that is fine. But I do want it to work well.
Thanks,
--Michael

edit - added Issue #19 and Feature #17 to the bulk uploader page.
User Avatar
mvs

 
Posts: 1043
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2001 7:44 pm
Thanked: 282 times in 108 posts

Postby Gangolf Haub » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:00 pm

mvs wrote:
Gangolf Haub wrote:Michael, I thought I'd give this tool another try, actually two.

First try: uploaded about 8 pics to the Roque de los Muchachos page. Seven got loaded, one - the 360° panorama - produced errors. Afterwards the SPBU crashed

Second try: Again some 8 photos, this time to be posted to the Hochalpenkopf page. The SPBU skipped all photos (perhaps my fault (wrong pw, wrong mountain id?)), then it crashed. Naturally all caption input was lost during the crash.

Why does it crash? I'm using Vista and the version I downloaded from the link on your article. Obviously you keep a kind of log - The SPBU always comes up with the last successfully uploaded pictures. Couldn't you use the ctrl-P and crtl-N keys to write to that log? That way a crash wouldn't eliminate all data.

Back to the old fashioned upload. Will be back in half a year ...


Okay, I'm sorry to hear about your poor results. This thing of trying and then going away for 6 months doesn't help me much though. What I would need from you in order to fix it is to work with me. For example, I could give you a special version that would log the error in greater detail, then fix the bug. In the past some others had trouble with the program. We worked together for an evening or two and fixed it. I'd be happy to do the same with you over a PM/mail conversation?

Your cntrl-P idea is a good idea. Normally I only write the saved data on program exit. I agree it's painful to lose your captions, I'll add that to the feature list.

Again, I recognize the program is not for everyone, that the benefit seems marginal in certain cases, that is fine. But I do want it to work well.
Thanks,
--Michael

edit - added Issue #19 and Feature #17 to the bulk uploader page.


Hehe - I see I piqued you. Yes - send me the special version of the program and I'll give it a try. To me the problem looks like a standard folder not existing or something of the kind. Maybe the folder, the previous successful attempt read out of. I think of this because that folder definitely is gone and still the SPBU comes up with two files out of it. Wondering where this information is kept ...
User Avatar
Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 8428
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:28 pm
Location: Mainz, Germany
Thanked: 545 times in 305 posts

Postby Gangolf Haub » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:10 pm

hehe 2: the simple threat of us two working together and a special version being shipped has scared my SPBU so much that it successfully uploaded two pictures to the Pico de la Nieve page.

Don't relent - we need to keep the scare-level up!
User Avatar
Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 8428
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:28 pm
Location: Mainz, Germany
Thanked: 545 times in 305 posts

Postby MoapaPk » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:54 pm

There have been lots of problems with uploading in general lately -- are those fixed?

I embed the captions in the jpegs -- they don't get lost that way.
User Avatar
MoapaPk

 
Posts: 7669
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 7:42 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Thanked: 761 times in 494 posts

Postby Gangolf Haub » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:23 pm

Error reproduced: if you mistakenly press submit too early - that is if you don't have filled all headers (and captions) you get an erro popup.

So far so good, but if you then fill all of your headers and captions and press submit again the SPBU does nothing, then crashes. And all captions and headers are lost ...

The error log says: "Unable to upload file ..."
User Avatar
Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 8428
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:28 pm
Location: Mainz, Germany
Thanked: 545 times in 305 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.