Swiss Alps-- Suggestions?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
klk

Swiss Alps-- Suggestions?

by klk » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:00 pm

I am flying into Zurich mid-July and have a week to spend. (I am going to end up in Bozen and the Dolos, so will be heading generaly east/southeast.)I am planning on bouldering at Susten pass and doing a few peaks in that general area (Bielenhorn, maybe).

How easy will it be to find B&Bs? Do I need to make reservations? Is Andermatt a good base for a few days, or should I go to one of the other villages?

I don't have a rigid peak schedule, so will be quite flexible. I can't bring gear this trip, aside from rock shoes and maybe an ultralight axe and crampons, but I am happy alone on good rock up IV or so.

Moni

by Moni » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:23 pm

pensions are not hard to find, but you will be there in prime season, so I would try for reservations. Andermatt is pretty limited with respect to facilities and the weather often lousy. I spent a summer there once. It's also out of the way. Meiringen would be far nicer and is close to Susten

no avatar
klk

by klk » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:36 am

Moni-- Thanks for the suggestions. I've been running Meiringen and Haslital pensions and it looks like I'd have a good range of choices there.

Moni

by Moni » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:55 am

Hope you have a great trip!

MCGusto

by MCGusto » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:20 am

I can't speak exactly for the region you're going to, but if you're going solo you and want a bigger rock experience you might want to check out some of the via ferrata routes Switzerland has to offer.

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en.cfm/int ... -list.html

One of the first routes mentioned on the link above was based near Andermatt.

Also, right outside the Zurich Hauptbanhof is a bookshop on, what I believe, is Bahnhoffstrasse name Barth's books. They have all the maps you'll probably need for any trips.

One final option would be to not even have a "base station" like Andermatt and hike from town to town using trails and hut system. If you look at:

www.myswitzerland.com

there are links to the Swiss Alpine Hut System. Here's the hiking link:

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en.cfm/hol ... ers/hiking

The Swiss Rail System, which is amazing by the way, also has what's called "Fast Baggage." Basically, it's where you can send you're luggage to another destination (usually in a 24-36 hour period) if you don't need it during that time. (Like if you wanted to dump off your luggage and just take your backpack for a couple of days and hike from hut-to-hut).

The hut system in the Alps is extensive, so I would look for recommendations on the above links and maybe for more suggestions on summitpost.

The Alps are awesome. No matter what, it will be great!

Gusto

Moni

by Moni » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:49 am

I don't think it is Barth's Books anymore - Orell Füßli bought it out.

Return to Europe