Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Tahoe camping recommendations

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Re: Tahoe camping recommendations

Postby rdesota » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:18 pm

Yeah, let's all hope there is no repeat of the Angora fire or similar, and that lake clarity rises and doesn't fall, as it has been mostly for the last 40 years!

You are providing travel advice based on the possibility of a fire? Using that thinking, we really shouldn't go anywhere there are flamable materials (i.e. anywhere in the world - wait there is Antarctica, but the tent is flamable, darn, thought I had one). By the way, the latest testing shows a slight increase in water clarity! The lake has incredible clarity and quality. (of course, everyone has to do their part in keeping this reality).
rdesota

Postby rice » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:30 pm

ThanksReport this postReply with quoteRe: Tahoe camping recommendations
by JasonH » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:02 am

rice wrote:
1000PKS YOU ARE A GREAT BIG BALL OF JOY AND HAPPINESS. IT WARMS MY HEART TO READ YOUR PRAISES FOR THE LOVELY WORLD. THANKS FOR WARNING DPSIEBERT TO BRING THE GAS MASKS FOR THE CHILDREN.

DPSIEBERT, I CAMPED AT WILLIAM KENT CAMPGROUND ON THE WEST SHORE AND HAD A GREAT TIME. GOOD PLACE FOR A POP UP TRAILER. MEET MY GIRLFRIEND SO I'M A LITTLE PARTIAL. HAVE FUN.

Between your Tab and Shift keys there is a button. You should press that.

WELL WHEN YOU GOT A JANKY KEYBOARD AND ITS PERMENANTLY STUCK IN UPPER CASE AND YOUR A CHEAP BASTARD THAT DOESN'T FEEL LIKE SPENDING MONEY ON A NEW KEYBOARD WHEN I CAN BUY MORE BEER
rice

Postby rdesota » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:40 pm

Thanks for the Wikipedia information on the fire. I watched the event from my house and had good friends lose everything to it. I also look at the scar everyday. Yes - fires can happen in a forest. I am still not sure how this is helpful for a family who would like to visit Tahoe and go camping?
rdesota

Postby dpsiebert » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:30 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone! Sounds like Dl Bliss is my best bet, so that's where we're headed. Should be a fun trip.

Dan
dpsiebert

Postby ScottyP » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:50 pm

You may also look at a night or two at Wrights Lake. Just a short ways down/over highway 50 but lots of fun hiking for the kids, fishing etc.
ScottyP

The following user would like to thank ScottyP for this post
Marmaduke

Postby rice » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:58 pm

THANKS 1000PKS FOR THE ADVICE. I GUESS YOUR NOT ALL DOME AND GLOOM AFTER ALL. ENJOY THE SNOW....... LOOKS TO BE GETTIN BETTER OUT THERE
rice

Postby QITNL » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:06 am

Not to hijack the thread - just a little diversion - what are the options for winter car camping in the Tahoe area? Say in a little pickup with a camper shell.

Ed Z'berg Sugar Pine Point State Park and Grover Hot Springs SP used to be open in the winter, but apparently not any more. I think most of the Forest Service campgrounds are closed.

The Yuba Gap-Donner Summit-Blackwood Canyon-Taylor Creek-Echo Lake SNO-PARKs are probably an option. Though they are often a little noisy when close to a busy road. I'll have to check to see which allow in-vehicle camping.

Any "dispersed camping" around there in the winter, any other options or ideas? Thanks.
QITNL

Postby QITNL » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:43 am

1000Pks wrote:dope would be assumed

They'd think I'm trying to grow dope in the snow?

Or I'm a dope to be snow car camping?

Just joking. I understand the concerns of private and public landholders. I'm looking for something 100% legal. Though there don't seem like a lot of options - so maybe 95% will do.

Yep, it sure ain't the 70's anymore. Even the 00's were better.
QITNL

Postby mountainvoodoo » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:48 am

1000 peaks. You kill me. I have lived here in SLT for 19 years and have found perfect solitude in the BC in all the busy tourist months. Your assessment of this town is way off just like most of your posts. Yeah, yeah, yeah you have a website and you spent most of your life hiking and climbing, and writing the so-called book on how YOU envision the backcountry to be..... whatever. DPseibert stated he wanted an area for a pop up trailer with his kids joining, not an isolated camp location devoid of humanity.

DPseibert: There is a small campground on Luther Pass that would accomodate your pop - up. 12 spaces I think. Super quiet, off the beaten path, quick access to all the town offers (despite what 10 peaks rants), near big meadow, hope valley etc. Check it out. Becareful though for all those drug slinging, fire starting, water quality degrading Tahoe folk rumored to hassle tourists!
mountainvoodoo

The following user would like to thank mountainvoodoo for this post
dpsiebert

PreviousNext

Return to California