Telescope Peak Conditions over next couple weeks? (3/17)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
jrnewmann

Telescope Peak Conditions over next couple weeks? (3/17)

by jrnewmann » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:09 pm

Hola compadres, this is my first time posting on the SP forums although I have frequented the site for a couple of years. Hopefully I will become/remain more active in the community..

Anyway, does anyone know what conditions are like up on Telescope peak right now? I am planning on heading to Mammoth this coming weekend (3/20) and I'm hoping to bag a peak while heading home from some 60 degree slush-boarding. I've been reading up on Telescope peak and it seems like a very straightforward hike when there is no snow.

Is there still significant snow up on the ridge? And does anyone know what the road to Mahogany flat is looking like? Any conditions info would be much appreciated.

I've also been thinking about grabbing a sierra peak instead, maybe Mt. Morrison? Not sure if the east slope is doable this time of year considering I have no true snow climbing experience to speak of. I will be flying solo so I don't think that is the best place to teach myself how to climb with crampons... Unless of course, someone wanted to join me? :D Ha ha ha.

Thanks for any response!

-Justin

MoapaPk

Re: Telescope Peak Conditions over next couple weeks? (3/17)

by MoapaPk » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:58 pm

Some friends went this last weekend, and they booted it with just trekking poles. The days since have been warm, so it will likely have less. The drifts on top may be a few feet deep, but most of the snow looked less than a foot deep, with bare spots. Gaiters and a change of socks look good.

Call the DVNP for conditions of the WildRose road to Mahogany. They had a 4x4, mud may be more of a problem than snow. I suspect you could at least drive past the kilns.

Some other friends just went up Thor; snow looked pretty thin.

Return to California