The "Do it All Pack"

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
LithiumMetalman

The "Do it All Pack"

by LithiumMetalman » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:17 pm

Hey folks!

An exercise of thought!

Choosing the right tool for the right job is ideal in most situations, especially for those with multi-sport interests. Having a quiver of packs for the right job can make or break the experience (Highly subjective, but as long as one is having fun, that is most important).

However, lets say theoretically, if you had to choose one pack, and only one pack to do all the activities that you love to do, what would it be and why?

Eg. I love climbing, backpacking overnighters + week long, summer alpine, day-hikes, etc (some trail work) if I was forced to choose only one pack, it would have to be my trustworthy, albeit heavy,

Arc-teryx Bora 50

Due to the size, toughness and useful features (the Kangaroo pocket rocks), it has yet to let me down.

Thoughts, pokes and reminiscing welcomed.

lost_in_nj

by lost_in_nj » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:20 pm

I'm sure I won't be the only one voting for this... Cilogear 45L.

NewDayRising

by NewDayRising » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:20 pm

Doesn't that pack weigh 8lbs? Too heavy for in my book. There's got to be a pack that can do all of the above around 3lbs.

no avatar
dsunwall

by dsunwall » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:30 pm

golite pinnacle, just over 2 lbs, 72 liters but tightens up well for small loads.

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/p ... GoogleBase

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:05 am

How does a pack let one down??? It is the most simplest of tools. It should be light and inexpensive. If one is really going to get out and climb in one, he/she will tear it up and sure in the hell does not want to haul the extra weight it would take to reinforce one so it would would not get tore up...$300-$500 for packs? you guys are nuts. Same ones no doubt who wear $1000 (jacket and pants) on a rock or ice climb! The gullible dead bird society. Never paid over a $100 myself ($200 retail) and weight is my first and foremost consideration regarding a pack.

Joe White

by Joe White » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:12 am

Dow Williams wrote: weight is my first and foremost consideration regarding a pack.

weight and fit ....yep, me too

kayakerSS

by kayakerSS » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:58 pm

lost_in_nj wrote:I'm sure I won't be the only one voting for this... Cilogear 45L.

Another vote for the Cilogear, but I'm loving the 40B!

Carbo

by Carbo » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:59 pm

johnk wrote:Doesn't that pack weigh 8lbs? Too heavy for in my book. There's got to be a pack that can do all of the above around 3lbs.

3.9lb
Pack Bag = 790g Hipbelt = 150g Lid = 170g 10 straps = 160g Framesheet + Pad = 550g. Max Weight 1.8kg / 3.9lbs.

http://www.cilogear.com/45lws.html

Aaron Dyer

by Aaron Dyer » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:09 pm

I have had an Arcteryx NoZone (~3800-4000cu in) since 2001 and it has not let me down. Fully framed, all the bells, it was 4lb 10oz. Fully stripped down it can weight as little as 1lb 12oz. It is usually somewhere in between. I have carried 45# with just a piece of foam for the frame, I use a non-padded waist belt, I strap crampons onto it, with no point guards, right onto the nylon and throw it down with abandon...no tears. I have used it as a bivy sack for my legs several times. It works equally well for my outings in summer, winter, wet, dry, wherever.

The stitching finally unraveled on the shoulder strap where the strap is formed to keep the foam in last summer. I sent it back and got new shoulder straps attached for free. It is sad that they stopped making this bag. I will hold a burial service and cry when it finally dies for good. At this rate, I probably have another decade in it.

adventurer

by adventurer » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:49 pm

If I had to pick just one, it would be the GOLite Quest.

http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetai ... 75&t=&lat=

It lists for $175. It weighs a tad over 3lbs. Max Capacity is 72 liters and it compresses down to 40 liters. No bells and whistles.

bird

by bird » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:14 pm

Dow Williams wrote:How does a pack let one down??? It is the most simplest of tools. It should be light and inexpensive. If one is really going to get out and climb in one, he/she will tear it up and sure in the hell does not want to haul the extra weight it would take to reinforce one so it would would not get tore up...$300-$500 for packs? you guys are nuts. Same ones no doubt who wear $1000 (jacket and pants) on a rock or ice climb! The gullible dead bird society. Never paid over a $100 myself ($200 retail) and weight is my first and foremost consideration regarding a pack.

Go-lite Pinnacle let me down on Liberty Ridge. Straps popped off, the waist buckle broke (it still held, just barely). Was so disappointed.
I have an old TNF terra 50 that weighs a good 2 pounds more, but has not failed me yet.

albanberg

by albanberg » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:26 pm

bird wrote:Go-lite Pinnacle let me down on Liberty Ridge. Straps popped off, the waist buckle broke (it still held, just barely). Was so disappointed.
I have an old TNF terra 50 that weighs a good 2 pounds more, but has not failed me yet.

I had problems with a couple of GoLite packs as well. The big packs, Odyssey...we packed them very full for our 8 day Whitney trip. I broke a load lifter and Jackie's pack had a seam on the bottom that started to come apart. We sent them back and got new packs but I have not used them.

I'm using Cilogear packs now, which carry much better. I have a couple of small issues with them but I think they will fix the packs...have not gotten around to that yet.

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:36 pm

From my collection I would select my Osprey Exposure 66.

LithiumMetalman

Jamming the jam

by LithiumMetalman » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:07 am

I have a first gen golite Jam, and it's been absolutely been great! However I have noticed that the next few gens of the pack became a fair bit bloated, has the quality of the golites gone down?

The Arc-teryx Bora 50 isn't light, but it isn't heavy either (4lbs 8oz) and like the Nozone, it can be stripped down a fair bit.

However, it is tough as nails, carries heavy loads extremely well, has useful features like the Kangaroo pocket. Nonetheless, packs are like shoes, wear what fits and feels comfortable!

peakhugger

by peakhugger » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:02 am

My Millet Expedition 65 has yet to let me down. I've used it on week+ trips, ski mountaineering, day climbs, and more.

Light - 1560g, but not ridiculously light, so it's still durable
Highly adjustable - volume can be adjusted from ~30L to over 65L (w/ compression straps and an extendable skirt)
Water resistant (proof?) - materials readily repel water, a pack cover is not needed on most trips (unless major storms are forecast, then I bring it)
Extras - Secure ice ax attachments, gear loop on waistbelt, vertical zipper on main compartment for easy access, can easily carry skis (a-frame)

All in all, a one quiver pack in my book.

Next

Return to General