The HALO Fuel Cell - a packable charger for USB devices

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
nickrburton

The HALO Fuel Cell - a packable charger for USB devices

by nickrburton » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:37 pm

Hello fellow climbers. I have been working on a new camping product that I would like to get some feedback on. The HALO Fuel Cell is an outdoor power station that fits standard fuel canisters. It can charge your iPad, iPhone, Android device, or other USB devices. Sized to be a portable, compact and a lightweight addition to your camping gear. I'm throwing it out to the Climbing community to get a feel if people are interested in this type of product?

Check out the Halo on Kickstarter!
http://kck.st/14c9zOI

mrchad9

Re: The HALO Fuel Cell - a packable charger for USB devices

by mrchad9 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:35 am

Sounds like a good investment if you want your expensive electronics to get fried. Two at a time even.

Buy a Halo, ruin your iPad. Who wants one?

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:56 am

I was hoping it would be some Fuel Cell from Halo. :wink:

Anyways here we go:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLnL63cXmD8[/youtube]

nartreb

by nartreb » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:31 am

I'm not interested in a backcountry charging device, but if I were, I'd want to know why your product is any better than a solar charger.

I usually keep my open flames away from my electronic devices. And I can't remember the last time I left my stove running for half an hour. (You don't say how long a charge takes; I'm assuming you can't do it any faster than any other charger.)

In terms of weight and bulk, wouldn't carrying extra batteries be better than burning all that fuel? OK, I guess there's a use case here: write up your climbing log while melting snow for drinking water on long expeditions. You'll be burning the fuel anyway.

The following user would like to thank nartreb for this post
sm176811

sm176811

by sm176811 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:36 pm

Good points Nartreb, several topics need to be addressed before the viability is justified

- safety to users and devices; does it provide stable voltage (fluctuating voltage may spoil the connected devices)
- reliability and serviceability in the field; you don't want to be stuck without options
- how long does it take and how many charges per canister/unit volume of gas
- weight wise is it more effective than other sources, like batteries?
- how it is better than alternate technologies, solar etc.
- is it green? What's the carbon foot print?
- cost vs other technologies
- whats the lifetime of the product?

nartreb wrote:I'm not interested in a backcountry charging device, but if I were, I'd want to know why your product is any better than a solar charger.

I usually keep my open flames away from my electronic devices. And I can't remember the last time I left my stove running for half an hour. (You don't say how long a charge takes; I'm assuming you can't do it any faster than any other charger.)

In terms of weight and bulk, wouldn't carrying extra batteries be better than burning all that fuel? OK, I guess there's a use case here: write up your climbing log while melting snow for drinking water on long expeditions. You'll be burning the fuel anyway.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:22 pm

nickrburton wrote:Hello fellow climbers. I have been working on a new camping product that I would like to get some feedback on. The HALO Fuel Cell is an outdoor power station that fits standard fuel canisters. It can charge your iPad, iPhone, Android device, or other USB devices. Sized to be a portable, compact and a lightweight addition to your camping gear. I'm throwing it out to the Climbing community to get a feel if people are interested in this type of product?

Check out the Halo on Kickstarter!
http://kck.st/14c9zOI

Seems like spare batteries (or a solar charger) would be more effective solution. Your device requires carrying an energy source, same as carrying spare batteries would, but requires a conversion process that loses some of the energy from that energy source.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:30 pm

Batteries are lighter, safer, and more efficient. And cheaper! Plus batteries don't damage your devices as a Halo fuel cell does.

Which would you rather have running your vibrator?

nartreb

by nartreb » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:10 pm

Chad, have you used this charger? How can you claim that it will "damage your devices"? It should be no harder to regulate the voltage coming out of this thing than for a battery pack.

(My vibrator runs fine on diesel, thank you very much.)

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:25 pm

mrchad9 wrote:Plus batteries don't damage your devices as a Halo fuel cell does.

So how do you know? Your claim sounds like a real possibility, but some evidence to fall back on would be nice. An article perhaps.

I see Nartreb beat me to the punch.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:05 pm

nartreb wrote:Chad, have you used this charger? How can you claim that it will "damage your devices"? It should be no harder to regulate the voltage coming out of this thing than for a battery pack.

I believe the evidence is similar to that for an aerogel-based product that was recently touted here.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:48 pm

JHH60 wrote:
nartreb wrote:Chad, have you used this charger? How can you claim that it will "damage your devices"? It should be no harder to regulate the voltage coming out of this thing than for a battery pack.

I believe the evidence is similar to that for an aerogel-based product that was recently touted here.

I tried that aerogel-based stuff and it didn't work. No matter how much I slathered on I still couldn't get off the ground! :x

nickrburton

by nickrburton » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:29 am

Interesting reading! Of course we won't make it very far if we end up damaging devices. Those comments are just arbitrary from a person who has never seen the unit. Fuel cells are surprisingly consistent and are easily controlled by the power electronics. The Halo output is a 5 watt (1 amp) system that will work for most electronic devices.

We are testing to optimize the burn fuel rate as this ultimately decides how many charges can be obtained from a standard canister. The intention is to have a combined cook stove and electric charger as one unit. The flame cell will be protected by a heat shield. The dual function will have a low burn rate for charging only mode (lower fuel rate consumption) and then a higher flow rate needed for a combination of cooking and charging. The Halo will work rain or shine so it has its advantages over Solar. Still like everything else there are limitations to the technology. The Halo runs on standard camping gas fuel so it is a tradeoff between the fuel you carry and the charge that you need.

Thanks for all the posts!

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:10 pm

Looks good to me. I've certainly had my stove going for over an hour, cooking dinner and making water for the next day. Should be plenty of time to charge up just about anything. As a climber, I don't have a fuckin ipad with me, but it'll be great for phones.

Good luck
where am i going... and why am i in this handbasket?

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:12 pm

mrchad9 wrote:Plus batteries don't damage your devices as a Halo fuel cell does.

When'd you use one?
where am i going... and why am i in this handbasket?

Return to Gear