The Minarets Traverse

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Marmaduke

The Minarets Traverse

by Marmaduke » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:40 am

A question, are Josh http://www.summitpost.org/users/josh/1 and lavaka http://www.summitpost.org/users/lavaka/1341 the only SPrs to accomplish this? Bob Burds page for The Minarets does not have any signers on the summit log but these guys have done it. The rest of the Minarets do not have a page, have others climbed all/most and not signed on? Seems like a pretty cool achievement?

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

Re: The Minarets Traverse

by Bob Burd » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:54 pm

It's a pretty tough one. You have to be comfortable soloing 5.6 on shitty rock. There are very few ascents on those minarets north of Eichorn where the climbing gets ugly. Scary stuff.

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:51 pm

That was scarier reading than the rock itself.

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:56 pm

I tried to free-solo the route back about 20 years ago. I didn't get far, it was frightening.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:25 am

I wonder how many people have done the Sawtooth traverse. Not in sections, but the full one on the same trip...not much info on it.

Full Palisade traverse been accomplished by over 7 (known) parties or so...

Evolution traverse has 20-30 ascents?

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:22 pm

I know another 3 people that have done it this months...

The number is of documented ascents- those who signed into the registers. Could be higher because not all sign in (for whatever reasons. usually when I find the register, I sign it. unless pen doesn't work, as was the case on Dragtooth, or if I can't find it like on Doodad).

Bob, did Doodad have a summit register when you were there? Helpful TR by the way.

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:44 am

I also tried the Sawtooth traverse back in the 1970s. Man it was really loose, big huge loose blocks. Didn't get very far on that traverse either.

I suck, I guess.

Noondueler

by Noondueler » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:14 am

Bob Burd wrote:It's a pretty tough one. You have to be comfortable soloing 5.6 on shitty rock. There are very few ascents on those minarets north of Eichorn where the climbing gets ugly. Scary stuff.
Remember reading "MIssing in the Minarets" about Walter Starr Jr.'s search party. Norman Clyde found his body on a ledge I believe. I think it was Jules Eichorn with him. It was one of the few times anyone saw Norman weep.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:37 am

That was a very good read!

no avatar
Kahuna

by Kahuna » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:46 am

Oh there have been several undocumented complete traverses of all the ones mentioned, over the decades.

Believe it or not, there are some humble folks out there that need not spray every frkn thing they do to the world. There are people that do some pretty consistent narly stuff and do not make a peep to anyone about it.

Imagine that.

dskoon

by dskoon » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:02 pm

A5RP wrote:Oh there have been several undocumented complete traverses of all the ones mentioned, over the decades.

Believe it or not, there are some humble folks out there that need not spray every frkn thing they do to the world. There are people that do some pretty consistent narly stuff and do not make a peep to anyone about it.

Imagine that.

It's always fine if one chooses to not sign a register, A5RP; it's one's perogative either way. But, signing a register is hardly "spraying.". .

no avatar
Kahuna

by Kahuna » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:44 pm

dskoon wrote:It's always fine if one chooses to not sign a register, A5RP; it's one's perogative either way. But, signing a register is hardly "spraying.". .

Please do indicate where I made any mention that signing a register is "spraying". Thank you.

A5RP wrote:Oh there have been several undocumented complete traverses of all the ones mentioned, over the decades.

Imagine that.

Blair

by Blair » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:05 pm

Yes, the minarets traverse has been done before. Fiddler, croft are folks that have done it for sure...

Sawtooths traverse has been done as well, unfortunately it was in the news as of late....RIP M.Y.

Be careful out there.....espec on shit rock

dskoon

by dskoon » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:07 pm

A5RP wrote:
dskoon wrote:It's always fine if one chooses to not sign a register, A5RP; it's one's perogative either way. But, signing a register is hardly "spraying.". .

Please do indicate where I made any mention that signing a register is "spraying". Thank you.

Imagine that.

I don't think you did, but it seemed you insuated it, as another poster had just said that some "might not have signed the registers," etc.
Least that's how I took it. If I interpreted your post incorrectly, my apologies.

no avatar
Kahuna

by Kahuna » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:40 pm

Apology not accepted as it is not required.

Appears that you misunderstood my comment. 10-30 years ago, there was no internet. Thus many did not have the vehicle to immediately publish their adventure/s with a slew of photos.

But many of those humble "hardmen" individuals that I am referring to, would certainly not have done so today had they had that ability either.

"Bardini Lives" is one that immediately comes to mind.

Next

Return to California