Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

The Problem (?) with Firsts....

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.

Postby Scott » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:32 am

FortMetal wrote:

Why not the natural conclusion... using a straw to control the helicopter that brings you to the top? These "Firsts" are pointless and it's idiotic to celebrate them.

Dang. And all this time I thought that your avatar/handle was meant to claim that you are mentally ill.

PS, just kidding.
Scott

Postby MoapaPk » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:05 am

When making the first formal ascent, what sort of tie and cummerbund should one wear?
MoapaPk

Postby dadndave » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:54 am

8)
dadndave
Forum Moderator

Postby mvs » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:42 am

This line of argument reminds me of the gay marriage debate..."what's next, man and dog? man and ground sloth with surgically implanted rollerskates for honeymoon downclimb?!?" :lol:
mvs

Postby MoapaPk » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:45 am

One record that will stand for a long time: climbing El Capitan without a head.
MoapaPk

Postby Michael Graupe » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:50 pm

MoapaPk wrote:When making the first formal ascent, what sort of tie and cummerbund should one wear?

Has been done. 1987 Thomas Bubendorfer soloed the 300ft east face of Moenchsberg in Salzburg to promote his third book "Solo" and as a fundraiser for flood victims. In a tux, at night and in heavy rain.

http://www.bubendorfer.com/ehtml/ehtml/ga-html/b51.html
Michael Graupe

Postby Bob Sihler » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:22 pm

I hope to be the first to take a crap in the new bathroom at work.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Postby rhyang » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:33 pm

Vitaliy M wrote:
sjarelkwint wrote:He was training for the Iron Man in Hawai (topfavorite!!!) when he had a crash with a car.

He has no feeling in his legs or whatsoever. Trying to show people what you can accomplish although you don't have legs anymore

Also did the Hawaii triathlon with a handbike ...

"just pulling" is much much harder than the climbing :-D

Depends what rating you are climbing. Awesome that he could use a pull up bar ascender for 6 days, but no matter how you look at it HE DID NOT CLIMB THAT WALL. If I set a rope like that next to Golden Gate bridge and pull myself up it will not mean I climbed GG Bridge. Please don't get into an argument about aided climbs, ladders/fixed lines on Everest, and how much aid is too much..

I admire people that are disable and willing to push their limits of course. Wish them all well, but I think he could of picked an activity that would match his abilities like the above mentioned triathlon with a hand bike or weight lifting, or record for pull ups etc...even though of course it is up to him, it is his life..if he wants to pull up a rope next to El Capitan power to him..

Italics mine :) Actually, he did climb it. He just didn't free climb it. He used aid. Many able-bodied climbers use aid on big walls too.

btw I am sure you are aware of who Mark Wellman is. If not, please do a google search :)

Oh, and that cool-looking summit shot of yours on Thunderbolt ? Did you lead that ? No ?? Then what's the point ? 8)
rhyang

Postby kevin trieu » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:06 pm

rhyang wrote:Oh, and that cool-looking summit shot of yours on Thunderbolt ? Did you lead that ? No ?? Then what's the point ? 8)
ouch!
kevin trieu

Postby rhyang » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:27 pm

Vitaliy M wrote:Aid climbers use aid for sections they cannot climb, and do not claim that they climbed a 5.15 if they used aid to get up that section right?

Exactly. So a paraplegic or quad climber who uses rope to get up RNWF Half Dome or El Cap is using what means they have to ascend the face.

Sometime when you start leading you may find yourself over your head. Maybe you will pull on gear. Maybe you will get pumped out and hang. That's aid climbing too. But it's better than a broken ankle.

I think you may want to spend some time around real aid / big wall climbers before you get all huffy about ratings and stuff .. they live by different rules, let me tell you :D

To be honest, I first thought as you did -- when I was first injured and lying in a hospital bed, being prepared for life in a wheelchair, someone brought me a copy of a news clipping about Mark Wellman's ascent of Half Dome via rope ascension. I said, "that's not climbing !"

Well, guess what -- RNWF HD is rated 5.12 / 5.9 C1. How many folks do you know can free climb 5.12 ? Most have to use aid on that route.

And it's nice that you free climbed the T-bolt summit block without aiding on the rope. But you still did it with a toprope. Have you ever heard the old saying "If you're not leading, you're not climbing" ?

The point I'm making is that it's easy to scoff at other people's accomplishments and make up arbitrary rules that people should follow. Living by those rules is a different matter however :twisted:
rhyang

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander