Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

The Problem (?) with Firsts....

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.

Postby mrchad9 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:41 pm

The same applies both ways. If others blast some 'firsts', then what harm is it TO YOU???

None I suspect.

There are those who feel an accomplishment is just that, an accomplishment, and it doesn't matter what order you did it in relative to someone else who has nothing to do with you. And there are those that feel otherwise.
mrchad9

Postby mrchad9 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:27 pm

Try using this on occasion:

mrchad9

Postby MoapaPk » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:29 pm

I will consider it a real climb of El Capitan only if he starts from sea level.
MoapaPk

Postby Augie Medina » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:37 pm

"But many that are first shall be last; and the last first."
Mark 10:31 8)
Augie Medina

Postby mvs » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:10 pm

FortMental wrote:
Stephen Wampler Foundation wrote:On behalf of his Foundation, Steve will be the first with Cerebral Palsy to climb Yosemite’s El Capitan! Scheduled for this September, it will take 6 days to scale a vertical granite face twice the height of the Empire State Building. Even stars Ellen DeGeneres and Will Ferrell are inspired by Steve; take a look at their video messages.

Steve’s endurance training and personal commitment is typical of the character of a man dedicated to funding challenging programs to enrich the lives of kids with physical disabilities.

This is insulting TO ME. It's great that he's going to climb El Cap, but why insult my intelligence by claiming to be the first with ......whatever. If it were a matter of getting on the rock so that he could be there (like the Make-a-Wish people make happen), I'd say "Rock on!"

But now I feel bad for all those others with even worse diseases who can't do that without the assistance of hundreds of others... What if you carry the Cerebral Palsy gene and climb it three days? Can you claim the fastest ascent w/ CP? Will there be speed records for quadrapalegics?

Sure it doesn't affect me directly....but at some point our collective stupidity/apathy will slow down our civilization.

Wait, wait, I just stumbled by here...but a guy with palsy is going to do enough pull-ups to scale 3000 feet, and you think he's going to slow down our civilization?!? You feel insulted by him? My god. It's that important to you that another sentence doesn't get written in a record book somewhere?
mvs

Postby mrchad9 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:28 pm

People who work to eliminate abject poverty, donate time to cure diseases in 3rd world countries, provide shelter and clean drinking water to the have nots... those are the people who deserve respect.

Climbing mountains? That is way down the list.
mrchad9

Postby MoapaPk » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:28 pm

Who was the 1st schizophrenic to climb the 7 summits? Was it this guy?
http://www.inyoregister.com/content/view/116920/27/

EDIT: PC filtered.
Last edited by MoapaPk on Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MoapaPk

Next

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander