Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

the taco appreciation thread.

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.

Postby Lolli » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:55 pm

:D
Lolli

Postby Lolli » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:58 pm

I like that, one can order what suits one's appetite.
To each his own.
Lolli

Postby The Chief » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:03 pm

JasonH wrote:
The Chief wrote:Some of them dudes over there take that place waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to serious.

Okay, Sir Banned-A-Lot. :lol:

No one gets banned over there, not one soul.
The Chief

Postby rhyang » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:21 pm

Did someone say Taqueria ?

My climbing buddy from Texas suggested this place a few weeks ago while we passed through Bishop. Damn, now I know where siestas really come from :lol:
rhyang

Postby jspeigl » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:58 pm

There are a great number of climbing legends posting to the taco, which is great if you appreciate climbing history. Like this from today, referring to the Vampire at Taquitz:

We were only teenagers when we bagged the FFA and it felt like we had just slayed a dragon or something. It seemed remarkable at the time - not the difficulty, but the fact that such a steep line would go all free. The gear and shoes were crap back then

JL
jspeigl

Postby ShortTimer » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:20 pm

The Chief wrote:The TACO is Valley Dude/Bay Area clique hang out.

Tangle or go counter to any of em, you will wear their shit and be reminded of it for a long ass time. Some of them dudes over there take that place waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to serious.

Tad bit different here on SP actually.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, Rick. While many of the original Stoned Masters post there, there are people from all over the country there now. It isn't like the old days where what you said was true, and hasn't been for at least 5 years. Many of the best climbers post there and everyone except the religious nuts have fun.
ShortTimer

Postby The Chief » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:53 pm

ShortTimer wrote:
The Chief wrote:The TACO is Valley Dude/Bay Area clique hang out.

Tangle or go counter to any of em, you will wear their shit and be reminded of it for a long ass time. Some of them dudes over there take that place waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to serious.

Tad bit different here on SP actually.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, Rick. While many of the original Stoned Masters post there, there are people from all over the country there now. It isn't like the old days where what you said was true, and hasn't been for at least 5 years. Many of the best climbers post there and everyone except the religious nuts have fun.

See what I mean!

I was just kidding Jan! Damn!
The Chief

Postby Guyzo » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:42 pm

The Taco is a great site...... esp if one has the proper credentials for full membership.

Beware! If you talk BS about ROCK CLIMBING or BIG WALL CLIMBING you will get your pee pee whacked.

If you try to get into political, religious, economic or other non-climbing discussions you had better be prepared to have some very opinionated, smart, rude and clever folks call you out. No worries if you can take it and give it out.

I know of folks who have had RESTRAINING ORDERS issued because of the shit that has gone down at the stand.

So just be ready if go into the territory of the "Stone Vatos" gang. They cut to kill.

GK

:wink:
Guyzo

Postby x15x15 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:18 pm

i luv stupidtaco. that place rocks. mostly climbers talking about whatever. there sure is a wealth of experience over there, if climbing is what you are really about...

SP is good too, but the anecdotes on stupidtaco are #1... and some good ol'fashion, usenet style flame throwers too...
x15x15

Postby Dow Williams » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:54 am

ST, SP, MP, whatever, my observations are quite consistent....those who spout off the most, typically get the least amount done.....it is the insecurity in the one area which leads to the other.....the noobs, folks in the midwest TX, etc, might get fooled, but those of us out and about see bs a mile away. But it is not just on the internet forums, same in real life, whether making money on Wall Street or climbing rock....those who brag and spray the most, are quite insecure about what they have already accomplished and are still seeking it out. The really good climbers I have been paired with through the many years and routes, 90% of the time, are quiet and humble, both in person and typically around any internet forum.
Dow Williams

Postby Lolli » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:42 am

Guyzo wrote:The Taco is a great site...... esp if one has the proper credentials for full membership.

Beware! If you talk BS about ROCK CLIMBING or BIG WALL CLIMBING you will get your pee pee whacked.

If you try to get into political, religious, economic or other non-climbing discussions you had better be prepared to have some very opinionated, smart, rude and clever folks call you out. No worries if you can take it and give it out.

I know of folks who have had RESTRAINING ORDERS issued because of the shit that has gone down at the stand.

So just be ready if go into the territory of the "Stone Vatos" gang. They cut to kill.

GK

they seem to be a nice lot though
I have been watching for awhile
as I see it, it's fun with opinonated people (especially when they know their subject) as long as they keep to subject and not person, and it seems as it's far more so at the Taco

hehe,
rock climbers are a sensitive bunch
but as in most disciplines, it's usually not the knowledgeables who are easily rattled,
it's the pretenders who gives themselves superior airs who reacts most strongly when challenged
it's like poking a stick into an anthill and then watch the frenzy which occurs
Lolli

Postby Lolli » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:20 am

:lol:
Lolli

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander