These guys have been really busy stealing photos from SP

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:08 pm

http://www.alpinismonline.com/noticias.asp?id=10074

This page also uses William Marler's image of Mercedario from the west.

D

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:03 am

Your pic is repeated 5 times below The North Face add, approximately in the middle of this page: http://www.alpinismonline.com/

neghafi

by neghafi » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:03 am

I think copyright is a capillary point. Not all the people knows the copyright of US as well as related citizens. It needs hundred years of time reading this law to understand bunch of legal statements.
In my country when someone publish a picture it means other people are allowed to redistribute it. So he may not publish his picture in such a high resolution to worth for commercial purposes.
It may be similar or such in other countries. It doesn't mean they have preconceived opinion. I personally don't think that other people who mentioned to redistribute some documents from here are evil thieves.
To tell you the the truth I was wondered when saw anger to a guy who redistribute a picture from Himalaya with credits to SP. Till now I thought I was not a bad job. It's very common in many countries.
In my opinion forcing someone to ask for a special permission to redistribute a picture he previously published in a public area is a kind of restricting information flow. I just imagine a condition that I may saw a picture and want to redistribute it or translate a document in to another language. As I found from this topic I must find the guy who send it here and ask for permission.
Now what if the guy has left here and I couldn't find him?
and what if he says this is not his own and point me to another guy?
and there are many such questions in practice.

So I propose to focus just on commercial purposes and the guys who earned money from the documents published here and let amateurs and non-commercials to redistribute the documents (with credits to SP) in order to globalization of modern scientific mountaineering in allover the world. It's just an idea.

Now, I personally let all the guys to use my documents if need them.

all the best

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:41 am

lpinist wrote:Thanks Diego, now I found it.
You really have an eye on things.

I mailed the site, asking them to give SP and myself credit for the image.

Does that seem right?
Cheers,
Borut

Yep, well done Borut. Keep us informed

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:40 pm

Congratulations Borut :!:

I think William Marler's pic is still there...

William Marler

by William Marler » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:52 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I sent them a note. We'll see what happens. Cheers William

JasonH

by JasonH » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:42 pm

syvers wrote:What a shame, listen to the woppoeeeeee do american i will sue for my brilliant photos cos they must be the best! God i feel ashamed that i looked at a photo from one of them yankee tits.

Classy, what is wrong with people protecting their intellectual property and photographs?

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:46 pm

Troll bait, but I'll state the obvious: Most of the people on this last page are not US citizens.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:36 pm

Borut wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:Most of the people on this last page are not US citizens.

Slightly off topic: count me out, I am an american citizen (french native speaker).

Oops, but I think I can accurately say that very few of us are Native Americans. :?

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:19 am

This blogger stole 2 of my Mt Hood photos and added captions to them to make it look like they are from his/her trip. That's totally uncool, not to mention illegal.

I reported it as a copyright violation to Google.

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:54 pm

I believe there are ways to block copying photos online - I think it has to do with personal webpages, though, and not so much with information posted on public forums like SP.

Guess for now don't post photos you don't want copied? The Copyright Alliance is working on just this kind of internet infringement but it's a slippery slope.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:01 pm

You can block the "copy image" feature in most browsers, but that doesn't stop people from doing a screen capture and cropping the margins of the captured image. You can also block the linking of content.

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:20 pm

Good info MP. I guess for now, until the Copyright Alliance gets some things figured out, email/spam the hell out of folks who pirate images.

It's not illegal much as we'd like to believe it is.

nattfodd

by nattfodd » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:04 pm

It's pretty much impossible to keep people from copying images. You can make it slightly more difficult, but that's about it, and even that is usually quite some work. Best to make your peace with the basic fact that you can't do much about it, except complain once the deed has been perpetrated.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:10 pm

MarthaP wrote:Good info MP. I guess for now, until the Copyright Alliance gets some things figured out, email/spam the hell out of folks who pirate images.

It's not illegal much as we'd like to believe it is.

I believe it IS illegal. You can't take someone's photo and use it without their permission. The fact that it is posted to a website is irrelevant.

Taka a look at http://whatiscopyright.org/.

When visiting a web site, it is so easy to click and save with a mouse button when one sees a graphic image or photo that one likes, or to view the source code and copy part of or all of the HTML coding because one "likes the way this or that was done" or one "wants a similar layout", or to copy original writings because "that person expresses this or that so well". The general (and incorrect) notion is that anything that is on the internet is public domain and may be taken without permission from the creator/owner. Some people actually think (incorrectly) that just because bits of web pages may be stored in one's cache, or because certain browsers allow one to do "file save as" moves or anything similar one may use such material as one wishes. This is false.

PreviousNext

Return to General